• Announcements

• NeilT

Mini Lab Help.com 2018 UPDATE   01/01/2018

2018- Mini Lab Help are seeking sponsors/advertisers to help us keep this web site going. We have to cover our running and licensing cost. Please do let us know if you are interested.
      We would now consider the sale of this web site, please contact us if you wish to discuss. 
Sign in to follow this  
NeilT

Epson 9600 error 0040 Maintenance Required

If you have a Epson large format printer like the 7600 or 9600 a word of warning.

Our Epson 9600 started to flash up a warning message with the error number 0040 with maintenance required.

So we spent some 48 hours trying to get through to Epson (UK) support, what a fooking nightmare that was.. and we are still waiting for replies from there e-mail support!!

Any way, it seems that we have to get the "Waste Ink Pads" replaced ??? at a cost of... and get this....

OK, here is some information that Epson and others would not like you to have  ;)

This will clear the error 0040 message, but I think you can only do this once!! But also if you have a play with these instructions you can find lots of other "hidden" maintenance menus that you may want to have a look at.

EPSON 9600 STYLUS PRO

MAINTENANCE

To remove the

We had the same problem with our Epson 7600 printer recently. Apparently it goes into this error after 5000 prints. You also must download the new firmware for the printer and follow the instructions as above. We were lucky and had Epson Canada help us out quickly, this rare though and they must have been having an off day. LOL

I did not know about needing a tech the next time. GRRRRR.

Peter

Well, I know that this site is small, as far as members go, but... if I get time, or if any one gets time, then I think a letter or several to the trade press needs to be done.. I spoke to one rep last week selling this kit, and he did not know about this.. So this could make a seller liable... food for thought, if enough people get of there arses.. and this forum could be a start, for those that can be arsed to spend a whole of 5 minutes to let us know who has been sold this printer, with now knowledge of this little *extra* bonus from the supplier.

We are going to buy the new 9800 when it comes out and things like this make you worry slightly, wonder if this will be the same or worse?, this is definitely worth following up though,

Andy

If you have a look at www.mandev.co.uk , there are some common spares and also some useful guidance on repairs and resetting the old machines.  Tips and info to assist and save you money.

Regards

Les

Dear All

I work for Fastek Graphic Services, and we are one of the Epson large format resellers based in Leeds, UK.  I am sorry to read that you seem to have not been given all the information in regard to your purchase.

Unfortunately, there are certain parts on these printers that will, after a time, need to be replaced. These include the Carriage Motor, the Paper feed motor and, as you have found out, the maintenance kit including the waste ink pads.

The maintenance errors will not stop your printer from printing. It is a notification that at some point in the near future, that part will need to be replaced. When your printer says that there is a service error, you will need an engineer because it simply won't print a thing.

We always advise our customers that this is the case, and do offer maintenance agreements including full parts and labour. It seems that some resellers do not give you all the information you need when you buy these printers. The old series of printers, Epson 9000, were even costlier to maintain because what you know as the Maintenance Tank did not exist and that required an engineer too.

Cutter blades - when your printer tells you that the cutter blade needs to be replaced, this only is an issue when it starts giving you a jagged edge on the print. You should be able to continue working, just the quality of cut will deteriorate.

If any of you are in the North of England, I'd be happy to talk to you.

Kind regards

Barry

Hello all. I have recently aquired a Espon 9600 stylus pro, I too have this error message appearing 0040, the threads above seem to be lacking in any critical info? Can anyone help with some information please? 

Kindly

sy 

On 6/29/2005 at 10:12 AM, NeilT said:

OK, here is some information that Epson and others would not like you to have  ;)

This will clear the error 0040 message, but I think you can only do this once!! But also if you have a play with these instructions you can find lots of other "hidden" maintenance menus that you may want to have a look at.

EPSON 9600 STYLUS PRO

MAINTENANCE

To remove the

hi NeilT, seems like your the man..... I may be crazy but 12 years on , I have the same problem you faced here. could you assist me with some info of how to fix the error code on the epson 9600 stylus pro.

Kindly Sy

040 error is cleaner pump end of life message i apears at aprox 5000 cycles

Hold down

Paper Setting ,Paper feed down and Eject buttons

and turn printer on

you should get a view counters message

and you can reset all the counters from the menu

I fill my maintenence tanks with incontinence pads and just reset the chip via the menu

I have the 7600/9600 service manual if needed

Edited by sdcomputers