RaySmith

DKS 1610 Racks not starting up

Hi Guys. I've had my DKS1610 from new, and it has developed a fault.  It fails to start the racks when booting up. I've removed the rear panels to check basic things like wiring to the rack motoro etc but cannot find anything broken.

On the tank board there are two red LEDs in the centre of the tank board flashing. They are marked LD1 and LD20, and run a sequence of LD1 then LD20 then both together. Is this indicative of the fault? All the other LEDs appear to be constant and all are on.

I've read that sometime there is a power failure to the rack motor. I've got a spare PC power supply, but can someone give me a guide about how to connect the power supply to the rack motor?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Ray, BATH, UK

Hi Ray,

I have a 1710.  When this happened to me, I connected a 9v battery to the two big wires on the tank board (I think they were black and white) and the racks started to turn.  This technique was suggested to me by a tech to determine if the motor was bad or not.  After determining that the motor was working, I sent the board in to have the chip replaced and it fixed the problem.

I've heard of people connecting a 12V power supply to these wires to fix the problem as well.  I hope this help you.

Take care,
Ken

Thank you for that Ken. Appreciate you taking the time to reply. I've put a voltmeter on the plug that goes to the rack motor, and it shows zero volts. I've tried turning racks on from SuperUser and if I click on that, it goes off immediately without the racks moving.

I'll have a look at your suggestion now and see what happens. I'm about to pull an old pc apart to get a 12V supply working.

Thanks

Ray

I've put a 12V supply direct to the rack motor and that runs fine, so it looks like the tank board is probably at fault. The two red LEDs in my original post that are flashing are circled on the attached photo. I can't see any obvious candidates to connect power to this board Ken. I'm reluctant to get the UK service company out, because in 2013 they changed two tank boards plus labour charges when the fault turned out to be the rack motor connector. The final bill was over £4000 to change a £1 connector! Ouch!

DSCN3266_web.jpg

Hi Ray,

I connected the 9v battery to the two wires after removing them from screw connectors on the tank board.  I was under the impression that you could remove these two wires from the tank board, connect them to 12V power, and continue to use the machine.  I have not done this.  I had the tank board repaired by an electronic technician who was unfamiliar with a DKS machine.  He replaced a large "chip" that stood up from the board.  He told me that this chip was the component that supplied 12V power to the rack motor connectors.

I only removed the two wires and connected the battery under the directions of a DKS tech to determine the rack motor was operational.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Hi Ken. Thanks very much for the follow up and the info. I connected a 12V supply direct to the rack motor, and that was good enough to confirm the motor works ok. I tried starting the machine with the racks running, but the software then gave an error that the machine didn't have the right rack speed. I'm assuming therefore it needs some kind of variable voltage supplied from the tank board to get the right rack speed and processing time. My photo shows the tank board as installed on my machine, and as you can see, the cables all seem connected via plugs.

I suspect the board is the problem, and it would be great to get a board level repair done as the service agents here charged something like £1400 for a board last time round (and they changed it twice!) I've had great service from this machine, so I've no complaints if this is now terminal, but it seems a shame to lose a great piece of kit for what is probably a simple repair. Luckily I don't have an urgent need for it!

Cheers

Ray

I got the DKS to run fine by connecting a 12V supply direct to the rack motor. If you trace back from the rack motor, there is a connector that eventually goes back to the tank board. This can be accessed from the back panel below the drier unit. I connected a 12V supply from an external PC drive to the rack motor connector. The power supply can be turned on or off to start up the racks. In my case, the racks ran a little bit too quick, and to start with I got an error saying the DKS could not achieve the correct rack speed. In the DKS settings, I made a small adjustment to the rack speed, from 180hz to 200hz, and everything works fine.

It enabled me to get some more use from the machine, but as I've now gone the dry route, this machine is available for spares or repair, as a unit or willing to break down into parts. I'm based in the UK, and can deliver anywhere in England or Wales. Any offers before I put it on ebay?

Cheers

Ray