Sign in to follow this  
azfoto

Frontier 300 Laser dead?

Hello,

I am recently experiencing problems with my frontier, i get the warning message " E-2522

Excessive B (B-SHG) laser current detected" and device doesn't work.

Then, the next day everything works fine. It happened few times last month, one day it works, another not. No print quality defects when working. When I check current history report ,blue one went up to about 120 and then get down to zero and back to 120 many times. For last week everything was great, but for 2 days its not working.

Authorized Fuji Service advices to buy new laser for huge ammount of money, they have never seen such situation before.

I've attached two screenshots, one with laser history and another witk circuit check report.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bartek

Hi,

sorry to hear about the laser problem. yes..its very expensive and according to my knowledge fuji does not give life time warrenty. actual warrenty for the total equipment is one year. or else after one year equipment  should be under AMC or any extended warrenty terms from any fuji establishments..but fuji policies varies with countries / regions. so i dont know about other countries.

Excessive B (B-SHG) laser current detected"  means the current which exceeds the limit current . you can see the limit current settings in B laser data menu. most of the cases B- laser would be faulty. also faulty LDD22 can create same problem. there is no tricks to avoid this problem. or i dont know. I also strugled with same problem and finally change the laser unit. but i feel its repairable. ask fuji about repair the optical unit. def. it could be less expensive.  because they just change the B-laser only. apart from this there is an option to reduce the PD current settings. i dont know how. i read somewhere that if reduce PD current settings can avoid this error msg atleast and start print. but anyhow this error def. means B laser is dying. i will update you how to reduce PD current.

regards

Baiju.

In earlier answers I read from you that the laserunit at least works for 9000 hours. Mine is now almost working for 2300 hours. I find that a great difference. This option you ment, I hope it will work for a long time.

Hi,

I'll try to enter those options and what exactly should I change and what current should be entered?

Another question is where to buy laser (or repair it) to pay as little as possible?  I've seen US page with refurbished laser for 6000$, wrote an email asking for details, now waiting for reply. Think its good option as long as it's trustworthy.

Blue laser has 3000hours.

Thank you Baiju.

Here in Norway Fujifilm has a 5 year service plan, it costs about 6000$/year (same as Noritsu here) and cover ALL parts during the 5 years, as long as we do our job of maintenance (cleaning/changing filters, clean lamphouses etc). Noritsu does not include anything near this at the same price here in Norway.

Hi,

usually local repair is not that much easy task. what they doing is they just interchange the faulty head with another one. i dont know from where they getting indevidual laser heads. mostly i guess they remove from other faulty laser units. But didnt give any guarenty.once after repair, unit has worked 10 days and failed totally.

refurbished laser units available from fuji. below 100 hrs used one will be available for around 4000- 6000$ range. I dont know current market rate. i brought refurbished laser units from singapore two years back. on taken back scheame.i given old and take refurbished one. sofar its working good. before buying make sure the problem relies with only laser unit. is it possible to check with another machine? interchanging laser units not harmfull.

regarding reducing PD current, i didnt try. i read somewhere in forum that someone did so and works with him. there mentioned reduced PD current 6 mA to 5.3 mA and error gone. i send mail for get more details. i will inform you..

regards,

baiju.

Hello,

I'm dealing with this at the moment, changed few numbers, error stopped displaying, then calibrated the laser ( prints with strips was printed and I was to chose the least colour span), then worked good untill i restarted the frontier.

I have screenshots of every step (before and after) and will upload here soon.

After restart and machine not willing to cooperate with me I went back to previous settings and change PD current initial value from 13.17 (!!!) to 5.8  (previous change was to 11)

Now I get LD current 107mA (instead of 122 when working) and performing paper conditin setup which finally looks good (haven't had yellow strip at all after restart) .

Getting back to work, wish me luck, Baiju thanks for help :-)

as for now everything works great,

but each time I restart Frontier (with past operational check), i have to re-enterLimit current value (150mA), cause it changes to zero.

Im B-SHG I:O check there is possibility to chose exposure mode : APC or ACC (propably automatic power control or automatic current controll) .  What is this?

And opion under: HFM : ON/OFF?

What is more, Image Processing Circuit Chech (self diagnosis) shows no error now.

So, now it prints great, except that after turning it on i need to enter Limit current value and perform 3 density tests untill OK.

It makes me happy :-)

Thanks, you really helped me.

Hello guys,

just want to tell you that today morning Frontier started to run with no single error message and its done more than 500 prints so far.

God what's going on? I prey for that state to remain.

Baiju, I don't know how to thank you :-)

Yes, congratulations. hopes it still works for a long time.  My Frontier PD  settings are at the moment 11.60. I have not any print problems at the moment, so I will left it at this setting.  Only the debug mode at startup, I have canceld.  

What I'am not getting is that so it seems that at the different Frontiers, there are different PD settings. Does anybody knows this reasons? Are they chacing by themselves? ;D

Hi peter,

i rememeber your issues with laser...but i come to know the machines works normal except the error. but i have seen few machines works years with this same error without any problem. may be u can see a small color drift respect with the laser. but that you can fix thru rough scan adjustments.. better if no problem, better leave the laser settings as its same....yes..different frontier having different PD settings...

regards,

baiju.

More than 3000 Beautiful colourful hot  with fresh chemistry flavour pictures so far :-)

Believe me or not but the sound of working Frontier, its cutting mechanism and whole process is better than any music, wondering if not to record it and listen every night before sleep :-)

In Laser history the beams which showing indevidual graphs which represent the laser beam status. drop means at that perticuler point exposure has stopped. if it seems droped inbetween doesnt mean laser having problems. may be during process system may restart also cause this kind droped lines. the level of each laser depends up on the current ratings. in text mode u can see the droped one have current value at that time Zero.

Yes ok I understand, but what if after a restart it is not dropped  but slowly rising in a period of 6 months, from 72 to 80 now. there are no strange colors and there are no strange values.  only the the message that my laserunit is at the and of its lifetime.  :o

Hi,

Def. the error msg means deterioration happening one of the laser head. but with the same error msg I have seen few machines which works more than 2 year without any serious problem.only thing every morning it shows error B laser about life time. regarding current there is a fixed set value for limit current.  Limit current setting may be 100 or 120. its depends on machines. once this 72-80 mA reach limit value then exposure suddenly stop and error msg will come "Excessive B (B-SHG) laser current detected". this kind of  issues seems to be a non curable decease. otherwise could have change something else.so better let it manage for as long as possible. change the laser filter if its bad. hope for the best. dont worry.. i am sure..it works for years and years.

Hello guys,

I was on a trip today, but my father called from work (both photographers :-) ) that the current dropped from 106 to 72 now, but there wasn't even necessity to perform paper condition setup.

So. I used to have 106mA , then 122 mA when laser problems begun ( dropping to 0), after having fun with current setting (from 13V to 5.8 V) i had constan 106mA for few days, now 72mA and have no idea what is going to happen but so far working great, and I really believe it will be :-)

Good News, is there anybody who knows a way to kill  :-/ the errors at startup?  In the window control/debug mode setup you can set the debug mode flag and the start up mode. Is this the answer? and how to set these modes?