Sign in to follow this  
Electrotech

Noritsu QSS-3102 Turbo Lane Selection

Our racks are gradually making each of the two prints in a lane tilt diagonally. By the time the prints exit the dryer they have corner damage on the corners that were leading.

Is there a method of turning this machine single track as our center prints do not exhibit this issue.

We are not looking forward to having to replace every single processor roller to correct this problem and are willing to try whatever is necessary.

Thank you.

Track selection is determined by print size specification. I'm not aware of any setting to force the printer into using the centre lane by default,  but  I haven't had to work on this model  QSS for a couple of years now.   Using centre would be  counter productive by  considerably slowing down through-put performance 

As for the prints skewing in the processor. Aside from rollers swelling  in the cross-overs (turn-guides) being an issue, or those in  the racks I would also inspect   the lower turn belts to see if they have relaxed/stretched as another possible  source for your problems.  Though if belts are stretched, chances are it's time for a few rollers!  Over the course of a year we would replace most of the rollers in our Pro-Turbo, and belts at least every three months. These high volume machines need 'deep pockets' to keep them  running up to speed and maximum capacity.

You can locate which rack may be the source by  raising the processor cover and disabling  the interlock switch with a small magnet.  Then, send some work through and working from the dryer end back to the Dev,   systematically  remove upper turn guides one at a time,   checking  the leading edges for damage. You will waste a bit of paper in undertaking this exercise.

Edited by photocorp

Thank you for the reply photocorp.

We have magnets on each machine for lead edge damage inspection.

As far as I can tell my turnbelts are OK.

I've thoroughly cleaned my processor racks and crossovers trying to alleviate this issue to no avail.

The racks visibly compound the skew of the print as it travels up the rollers.

Almost negligible out of first rack, slightly worse out of second and so on.

Their is a modest swelling in the 1/3 and 2/3 the way across the rollers when I mic them.

My guess is the issue is compounding.

Unfortunately replacing every roller in the processor is completely uneconomical and we cannot justify the expense.

Thusly we've been forced to split our orders to another line of printers for 4x6s since larger prints do not have the leading corners damaged so badly. (The 4x6 prints have nearly a 45 degree skew coming out of dryer..)

Update:

We deliberated and decided that what we will do to correct the issue is capture 6x4s at our API from our storefront, border them to be 8x4, then load a magazine that is loaded with 6" paper to read as 8". Since the Turbos fo not split lane the 8", this will address our issue. Other solutions we discussed were splitting our 6" orders into one image per order so they would center lane, and lastly to border our 6x4 prints and print on 8" paper then cut afterwards to trim.

Are you printing the 6x4 prints using 4" or 6" paper?

Which direction is the print twisting when it is exiting the dryer? Example 1 or 2?

1. Is it the left lane twisting in a clockwise direction and the right lane twisting in an anti-clockwise direction?

2.  Is it the left lane twisting in a anti-clockwise direction and the right lane twisting in a clockwise direction?

So it would appear the centre part of the rack rollers are driving more than on the outer edges of the rollers. (rollers swollen in the centre)

I would try to experiment by putting a few turns of splicing tape on the outer edges (say 2" from the edge) of a few of the outer rollers in the racks to make the print twist in the opposite direction to correct the skew. A more permanent material to use would be heat shrink tubing.

The damage to the prints will be happening in the dryer, so if you can lessen the skew before it enters the dryer the prints will be fine.

Dave I had not even considered an in-house solution to remanning those processor rollers. Thank you!
And the very corners do crash in the dryer when the skew is severe, you can actually see the interaction through the dryer and those corners drag over metal they shouldn't be reaching.

Edited by Electrotech
Typo