Quantenhorst

Noritsu V30 - power rating; internal wiring

Hi! 

I got a used V30 delivered 2 days ago. On the attached certificate it says that the unit is set for 3-phase 4-wire with 380V and 50Hz. 

A look inside and comparison with the layout in the manual shows that the information is correct. 

However, the seller is sure that he has operated it at 230V/50Hz. Probably with single-phase 2-wire. Could that be?  Can I do that as well? 

We also have a 230V/50Hz power grid (Europe). 

I can upload images of the PCB if needed.

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks. That's what I thought.

Just for clarification as this is a technical term. Single-phase 2-wire actually means 3-wire if you count the ground wire (E) as well, right?
Another thing: The manual recommends a cable cross-section of AWG 14 (2mm²). Seems to be a bit on the conservative side. 1.5mm² should be enough, or am I missing something?

EDIT: Just to clarify: He used it at 230/50Hz without(!) changing the wiring. Quite interesting. 

Edited by Quantenhorst

Really film processor with 3-phase 4-wire doesn't use 380V. There just divided power consumption and used three 230V/50Hz voltages ( between phases and neutral wire ) . So you can join all three phases to one point and connect to single phase. Neutral should leave connected, where it was connected before ( to neutral ) .

Our engineers never install the labs by 3-phase 380V.
Never.
I know that some Noritsu engineers always do it but we found that different phases give too much problem and quit with it.
So paper processor and printer-processor we always connected to 1 phase (not mention film-processors, of course).
And all was fine.

BTW:
Do not forget to make a backup after installation and finish of all works.
It will help you to restore the lab in the future after memory clearing.

Your machine is still wired for 3 Phase 4 wire (3 lives and one Neutral)

Yes the machine can be run by linking L1 L2 & L3 to Live and N to Natural but it is not the recommended way of doing it.

Do it properly and change the wiring so you only connect the Live to L1 and the Neutral to L2 (Earth/Ground to the Green & Yellow terminal) The L3 and N terminals will not be used.

Edited by Dave S

Yes, do not use Blue wire to connect "live" . Blue always is "neutral" . Yellow - green is ground. Yellow - green connect it to real ground wire. I saw when ground was connected to neutral. All is OK, but until neutral will be disconnected somewhere. Then on minilab frame you have live 230V voltage and it might kill you.

Doesn't matter how you connect live - just short, or change connection circuit. Just connections should have good contacts. Probably more easy to achieve it, if to connect on other side ( as on manual ) . But if connect well you can leave as it connected now and just change one wire from blue to brown.

You told that have 230V voltage. J/P66 leave in position, which is for 220 - 240V . This jumper is to change dryer connection circuit. J/P67 should be in position, which is for 220 - 230 V . This jumper is to change transformer input. Voltages you see written on board - beside jumpers.