Sign in to follow this  
Quantenhorst

Swollen rollers

The first two rubberized wheels in the developer rack of my Noritsu V30 are swollen and can't turn anymore. Now it occurred to me whether it was sufficient to simply remove the rubberized coating? The film is pulled through with the leadercards anyway and the rest of the reels are in top condition. 

Does anyone have experience with this?

I've seen machines running with the rubber cut off, but the plastic rollers underneath the rubber are not smooth, there are plastic ridges on them.

My choice would be to replace the top rollers with the plastic concave rollers like on the No.2, 3 & 4 racks.

@Dave S

Maybe the elevations can be smoothed out.  Do the concave rollers of the other racks fit or do they have to be adjusted? If so, I'd have to see if I could find some. 

@kodak_service

In principle yes, but my concern would be that over time other parts of the decaying rubber would come off and swim around in the tanks. 

14 hours ago, Quantenhorst said:

@Dave S

Maybe the elevations can be smoothed out.  Do the concave rollers of the other racks fit or do they have to be adjusted? If so, I'd have to see if I could find some. 

@kodak_service

In principle yes, but my concern would be that over time other parts of the decaying rubber would come off and swim around in the tanks. 

There must be rubber rollers in the developer.
Try to order new rubber rollers (only external rubber):
A510287-01 - for the upper rollers
A510052-01 - for other rollers
They should cost about $ 10 apiece.

Edited by kodak_service

2 hours ago, kodak_service said:

There must be rubber rollers in the developer.

Why?

I was only talking about changing the top 2 rollers to plastic rollers, not all of them!

I have done it on many machines and have not had any issues.

Well not really, once the carriage starts to move the pressure rollers activate to pull the film before it cuts. On a V30 the film is actually in the BL rack as well as the CD rack when it cuts.

The rubber rollers are no longer available from Noritsu.

As I said I have used the plastic rollers without any issues on both 35mm and 120 processing.

22 minutes ago, davidlam said:

aren't you talking about the easy swollen Z009020-01 and Z009021-01 roller units  on QSF-V30 CD rack ?

Yes, just the top upper rollers tend to get swollen, the other rollers don't seem to be affected on the CD rack.

The part number A510287-01 is no longer available.

I'm not sure about the availability of Z009021-01 for the whole roller unit.

It was discussed here before.

I see.

I will probably proceed in that order: Shorten the rubber coating and if it doesn't work, remove it and smooth out the plastig ridges. At the same time I will search for suitable concave rollers. It will probably not be possible to use the original part because it is no longer sold. And a used part will have the same problem sooner or later. For some reason the top rollers are much more sensitive. 

The reason the top rollers are more sensitive is because they are half in the air and half in the chemistry.

It's the mixing with the air that seems to cause the swelling, I've never had to replace any rubber rollers in the CD rack that are totally submerged in chemistry.

+1 for concave rollers then. This would also support my thesis that the racks are best kept permanently dunked in chemistry. I've heard from some that they like to take the racks out, rinse them and let them dry in the air when the machine is not in operation for several days. 

It makes sense to remove the crossover racks if the machine is not operational for a few days, but not the main racks.

It would need to be not in use for 2-3 weeks before I would consider removing the main racks and leaving them out. If the machine is not in use for a few days it's best to just leave it switched off at the breaker switch, rather than having it come on and heat up on program timer.

@Quantenhorst,,  in case  Z009020-01 Roller unit are in need... I have Qty. 2 brand new stock... PM me or email to davidlam@sinopromise.com so I can show you photos

I have Z009020-01 Roller unit   BUT  I am out of stock of another kind of Z009021-01 (shorter) Roller unit on CD rack.