dumidumi

Konica R1 (DS-1000) Scanner Repair

Hello! I've recently acquired a DS-1000 scanner. It's in partial working order and I intend to repair it and make it functional again. However, I'm stuck on a particular hardware error I can't seem to get rid of, Code 0x21002A48.

This seems to originate from the shutter assembly (motor, blade and sensor) inside the Image Capture Unit, which rests between the CCD and the optical assembly. While both the motor and the sensor seem to work and close/open the blade, the blade gets stuck after opening and needs to be manually reset. This does not allow pictures to be scanned.

Does anybody know more about this error and what could be done to fix it?
Thank you.

IMG_20190917_105658.jpg

IMG_20190917_105814.jpg

Edited by mateidumitru
Attachments

I use my DS-1000 standalone with the original Image Controller computer and software. There does not seem to be a driver version mismatch. This has recently been detached from the printer, which was disabled in the scanner software.

On 11/2/2019 at 9:24 PM, Minilab service said:

Doesn't matter how scanner is connected. This is scanner hardware error. This error means Shutter didn’t operate (failed to open). Check shutter ( might be broken ) shutter motor, sensor, or control circuit. Check shutter and run it from output check.

Indeed. I dissasembled the Image Capture Unit and ran the shutter motor from the output check. The shutter opens and gets stuck at the end of its travel, unable to return to its closed position. Pushing it a little with your finger helps it get unstuck and close. There does not seem to be any possible adjustment. I will provide video of this problem soon.

11 hours ago, Minilab service said:

Probably motor, or motor control circuit do not work properly. Remove motor and slightly holding rotor run from output check. Then you can feel how it rotates. 

Thank you for your advice. The motor control circuit seems okay. I will remove the motor to examine it more closely.

In the meantime, if it turns out that the motor truly is broken, where could I find a replacement part and what would the cost be?

After further disassembly I have noticed that the little motor that drives the shutter blade gets VERY hot - too hot to touch, at least, after mere minutes of the scanner being powered on. I think there might be a shortcircuit inside the motor. Perhaps it would be wise to attempt to replace it.

shutter motor.jpg

Is it stepper motor, or motor with brush? If it is stepper motor - they are quite hot,  even if doesn't rotate. What is motor model? How many wires connected to it? Stepper motor can be very hot, if it has short circuit in one of phase, or control circuit doesn't work properly.

On 11/9/2019 at 12:56 PM, Minilab service said:

Is it stepper motor, or motor with brush? If it is stepper motor - they are quite hot,  even if doesn't rotate. What is motor model? How many wires connected to it? Stepper motor can be very hot, if it has short circuit in one of phase, or control circuit doesn't work properly.

It's definitely a stepper motor. It seems to be bipolar and I do think it is unreasonably hot. A shortcircuit in one of the phases sounds plausible.
Any idea where I might be able to get a replacement? There are no markings on the motor's case under the black heatshrink tubing. I've attached a picture of the contacts after removing it.

_DSC0559.jpg

It is two phase motor. When motor has four wires it can be bipolar, or unipolar with permanent magnet. Can be two possibilities. First - faulty control circuit ( one phase controlled wrong, always on, always off...) and that can be a reason why motor stops. If one phase always on then even good motor can overheat. Second possible reason - faulty motor ( one phase partially has short circuit ) . There are many this size motors. Look motor driver. What controls circuit there ( integrated circuit, transistors...) ? Also tell motor dimensions and label, if it there. 

On 11/10/2019 at 8:20 PM, Minilab service said:

It is two phase motor. When motor has four wires it can be bipolar, or unipolar with permanent magnet. Can be two possibilities. First - faulty control circuit ( one phase controlled wrong, always on, always off...) and that can be a reason why motor stops. If one phase always on then even good motor can overheat. Second possible reason - faulty motor ( one phase partially has short circuit ) . There are many this size motors. Look motor driver. What controls circuit there ( integrated circuit, transistors...) ? Also tell motor dimensions and label, if it there. 

Upon testing with a multimeter I have discovered the following:

The motor has two coils, labeled A and B. Each have two contacts. When the scanner is in operation, there are 4 volts going through each pair. There is no short-circuit between the coils.
Unfortunately, the motor is not labeled in any way. It measures around 8mm in height and 7-8mm in diameter.

This leads me to conclude that there is nothing wrong with the motor. What could I do to test the motor driver board on the back of the Image Capture Unit and identify the faulty circuit? A visual inspection shows no visible damage. I've attached the best photo of it I could take right now, but I could take a better one tomorrow if necessary.

Thank you so much for your help so far!

_DSC0560.jpg

_DSC0566.jpg

Edited by mateidumitru

If 4 wires and two separate coils - this is simple two phase bipolar motor. When motor rotates on coils should be pulses in sequence. Example can see here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEmGOuMFPKQ

It is easy to find similar motors and price very low. There are a lot of 8mm stepping motors on Ebay. Similar motors where used in floppy drive and other electronic equipment. Compare resistance in both coils. They should be similar. If difference is big then coil with lower resistance might have short circuit between wires. If resistance on both coils are similar then probably motor is good and control circuit doesn't work properly. What is control circuit for this motor ( ULN2003, or something else ) ? What is power supply voltage in this circuit - 5V, or different?

On 11/10/2019 at 8:20 PM, Minilab service said:

After measuring everything once more, desperately hoping not to have to replace anything, I poured some isopropyl alcohol into the motor with a syringe, then heated it up for the alcohol to evaporate. This fixed the problem. Thank you so much for your help and interest and I'm looking forward to collaborating in the future shall there be a need for any repairs or software! 😄

Edited by mateidumitru

Here is two phase bipolar motor controlled by TA8430AF. Power supply - only 5V. Motor is small and not powerful, so even small disturb can stop it.

When we are taking about software I have upgrade to version 2. Also online can reprogram dongle adding new correction options, which where released with R3 minilab. I have Any ch reg, Caption Edit, CD-R,  D-ICE, HCDR-A, ICC,  LUT select, P-Driver, Tone setup, Red eye, Scale adjustment, Tone customize options. Some options can be used on stand alone scanner. Tell, if need them.