Hey all, 

We’re having a problem starting up our Noritsu!

Our 2901 “wants to turn on” but loses power after 1 or 2 seconds “on”.  We have to turn off the breaker, wait 5-10 seconds, then try to power up again but always with same symptoms.

We can hold the green sorter button to turn it on, we then hear the motors and fans starting up, then after 1 to 2 seconds the power just goes off. Doesn’t even have time to start up the computer , much less an error message.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dave

I038205 is a  [ +24/+36V power supply PCB  ]   = PS-11 of QSS-2901 paper processor

there is one piece also in QSF-V50 film processor if you have one  . . . to try a swop / swap :-)

Buy you mentioned you heard motors and Fans moving . . .  I doubt with this pcb failure

Has any one of your 3 phases electricity tripped ? 

10 hours ago, davidlam said:

I038205 is a  [ +24/+36V power supply PCB  ]   = PS-11 of QSS-2901 paper processor

there is one piece also in QSF-V50 film processor if you have one  . . . to try a swop / swap 🙂

Buy you mentioned you heard motors and Fans moving . . .  I doubt with this pcb failure

Has any one of your 3 phases electricity tripped ? 

Just a little correction

I038205 is a +5V/+24V power supply.

There are 2 green LED's on the power supply, one for each voltage.

It's probably the +24V side that is failing once it comes under load.

Yes the same power supply is also used on the QSF-V30, V50 & V100

Edited by Dave S

Ok, turned on all the breakers, and the same problem persists (somehow hoping it would just go away!), and both green LEDs were on.

Multimeter tells me the 5v was good at 4.96v, and 23.9v on both sets of the 24v side.

The relay click seems to be coming from the Power PCB 1, it clicks once and the fans and motors start up but there is ONE red LED lit in the top left corner, then after 1-4 seconds (it varies) it clicks again, and all fans and motors turn off, and all LEDs on it turn dark, but the Processor Power Supply PCB and the Processor Control PCB have green lights (2 and 3 respectively).

So either there’s a short somewhere, or a bad relay on Power PCB 1, or a bad Power PCB 1 ?

What should we check next ?

Thank you !

Mistake is on service manual. There written wrong voltage ( written +36V, when really should be +5V ) . All correct on circuit diagram and part list.
On QSS29 used 4 connectors.  J/P52 5V to POWER PCB 2, J/P53 5V to PROCESSOR CONTROL PCB, J/P54 24V to PROCESSOR CONTROL PCB and J/P55 24V to POWER PCB 2.
On QSF-V also used all connectors. J/P52 5V to POWER PCB 2, J/P53 5V to MAIN CONTROL PCB, J/P54 24V to FAN6  and J/P55 24V to POWER PCB 1. 

You can try plugging in the force start jumper J/P678 on the Power PCB 2 (J390564)

The Jumper wire plug is normally hanging from one of the plastic cable retaining clips on the far left hand side.

It's located behind the black panel which is behind the side panel that has QSS-2901 written on it.

LED 11 on the Power PCB 1 should come on when the jumper is plugged in.

If the machine comes on normally without any errors, shut the machine down using closedown checks, F Function, Power off, when the PC has shut down turn it off at the breaker switch and remove the jumper wire.

Turn it back on at the breaker switch and see if it works normally or not.

Edited by Dave S

17 minutes ago, davidlam said:

do you mean the RED Jumper to put on J674 of Power PCB 2 (J390564) ?  see below

No, J674 is for the effluent concentrator solution level detector (option) most machines don't have this so a link wire is attached instead.

The jumper wire connects to J678 (so an extra wire, J674 is not touched)

J678 is in the centre at the bottom.

Edited by Dave S

Thanks DaveS,

That did it.  It now stays on longer than 5 seconds !  I let it run for 2 minutes and then flipped the breaker off.  Do I leave the jumper in place, them close up the machine and use as before ?  Or this was a test to further diagnose the problem ?

What’s  next ?

Thank You Very Much !!

Leave the jumper in place until the PC and software start up to check if there are any errors or not.

If everything seems good, shut it down using closedown checks, F Function, Power off, when the PC has shut down turn it off at the breaker switch and remove the jumper wire.

Turn it back on at the breaker switch and see if it comes on normally without the jumper wire now.

Hi Dave S,

Thank You ! That seems to have done the trick.

With the jumper everything started up just fine, no error messages.

Removed the jumper, and it started up just fine, also with no error messages.

What’s next ?  Just leave it alone ? Or is there something else we need to do ?

I’m officially confused as to WHY this happened though.  

Thank you again!

Great there is no fault with the machine then!

Sometimes the machine can get stuck in the program timer mode.
Probably if you had left the breaker switch on it would have come on as normal on the timer in the morning.

If you are shutting the machine off at the breaker switch I recommend you use the power off menu (close down checks, F Functions) rather than shutting it down to the program timer.