Sign in to follow this  
Crofton

FUJI FRONTIER SP2000 vs Noritsu LS-1100

I need to get hold of a scanner ASAP and I have been looking at these options. I have been told the Fuji SP2000 can be setup to work standalone and can scan up to 40 rolls per hour but is it a decent scanner? I would prefer the Noritsu but obviously that can only scan 35mm.

These scanners are absolutely different and can't compare them.

SP2000 very old Fuji scanner ( made about 2002 year ) . Scanner can work stand alone. Light source - halogen lamp and time after time need change it. Scanner is big ( about 100cm x 100cm x 120cm ) and heavy ( about 150 Kg ) . Scanner was connected to very old Fuji minilabs ( Fuji 370 ) . Scanner very complicated. Many boards inside it ( big power supply unit, CCD20, CTB20, image box with CDS20, GFM20, GIP20, GL020, GFM20, GIS20 ) . If to buy new boards are very expensive . Of course can get parts from disassembled SP1500, or SP2000. Computer - old Toshiba running Windows NT4 and connected using SCSI connector. If some problems with image box in most cases need other scanner ( SP1500, or SP2000 ) to find which board doesn't work. On standard carrier can scan only 135 films. To scan other films need multi film carrier, other diffusion box and masks ( for each format ) . With scanner need one more computer, where installed server. Server depends on software used on scanner. There can be used FDIA, FE, or MS. On server should be software from the same package. Windows can be XP, W7 32 bit, or W10 64 bit ( depends on used software ) . On scanner and server can be used many optional modules. To install Fuji software server computer should be specially prepared.

Noritsu LS-1100 is modern scanner. Even now can buy it ( renamed to S-1100 ) . Scanner is based on S1-II ( difference - only one board ) . Light source - LED. Can scan only 135 and useless APS ( 240 ) . Scanner connection - USB. Inside scanner CCD, two power suppliers and three boards. Scanner has Digital ICE ( to remove dust ) and can be installed digital masking software ( to remove scratches ) . Scanner has not possibility to scan 120 films. Dimensions - about 30 cm x 40 cm x 40 cm. Weight - about 18 kg. Parts can be used from S1-II. Can scan from any Windows ( even Windows 10 PRO 64 bit ) . To scan can use system software and Twain driver, or system software + EZ controller + optional modules. Can be installed on any computer.

The best option to scan 120 films is to buy S4 and convert it into HS-1800. There 120 films can scan using automatic film carrier. Do not need masks to do it.

If want something older, but quite good can buy Konica scanner ( disconnected from R1, R2, or R3 ) . This scanner has firewire connection. Light source - LED. With standard carrier can scan 135 films. To scan other formats need manual carrier and masks for each film. Scanners are not so big and so heavy ( depends on scanner model ) . Scanner can work stand alone. Software designed to work on Windows XP, but perfectly works on W7 and W10.

On 6/30/2020 at 11:56 PM, Minilab service said:

These scanners are absolutely different and can't compare them.

SP2000 very old Fuji scanner ( made about 2002 year ) . Scanner can work stand alone. Light source - halogen lamp and time after time need change it. Scanner is big ( about 100cm x 100cm x 120cm ) and heavy ( about 150 Kg ) . Scanner was connected to very old Fuji minilabs ( Fuji 370 ) . Scanner very complicated. Many boards inside it ( big power supply unit, CCD20, CTB20, imag

The box with CDS20, GFM20, GIP20, GL020, GFM20, GIS20 ) . If to buy new boards are very expensive . Of course can get parts from disassembled SP1500, or SP2000. Computer - old Toshiba running Windows NT4 and connected using SCSI connector. If some problems with image box in most cases need other scanner ( SP1500, or SP2000 ) to find which board doesn't work. On standard carrier can scan only 135 films. To scan other films need multi film carrier, other diffusion box and masks ( for each format ) . With scanner need one more computer, where installed server. Server depends on software used on scanner. There can be used FDIA, FE, or MS. On server should be software from the same package. Windows can be XP, W7 32 bit, or W10 64 bit ( depends on used software ) . On scanner and server can be used many optional modules. To install Fuji software server computer should be specially prepared.

Noritsu LS-1100 is modern scanner. Even now can buy it ( renamed to S-1100 ) . Scanner is based on S1-II ( difference - only one board ) . Light source - LED. Can scan only 135 and useless APS ( 240 ) . Scanner connection - USB. Inside scanner CCD, two power suppliers and three boards. Scanner has Digital ICE ( to remove dust ) and can be installed digital masking software ( to remove scratches ) . Scanner has not possibility to scan 120 films. Dimensions - about 30 cm x 40 cm x 40 cm. Weight - about 18 kg. Parts can be used from S1-II. Can scan from any Windows ( even Windows 10 PRO 64 bit ) . To scan can use system software and Twain driver, or system software + EZ controller + optional modules. Can be installed on any computer.

The best option to scan 120 films is to buy S4 and convert it into HS-1800. There 120 films can scan using automatic film carrier. Do not need masks to do it.

If want something older, but quite good can buy Konica scanner ( disconnected from R1, R2, or R3 ) . This scanner has firewire connection. Light source - LED. With standard carrier can scan 135 films. To scan other formats need manual carrier and masks for each film. Scanners are not so big and so heavy ( depends on scanner model ) . Scanner can work stand alone. Software designed to work on Windows XP, but perfectly works on W7 and W10.

Thank for you for this very thorough and  comprehensive reply, I appreciate you taking your time to provide me with some information. I don't have the money at the moment to buy an HS-1800, so I might have to stick to the LS-1100. I can scan 120's with my Epson V750/800 for now. Perhaps when I have the money I can sell the LS-1100 to but the HS-1800.

Edited by Crofton

As I told before instead is to buy HS-1800 can buy S4 scanner and convert it into HS-1800.

The same is with LS-1100. - can buy S1-II and convert into LS-1100. Price difference between them - about 10 times.

If want to buy ready to scan scanner then can buy LS-600 it is slower, but cheaper than LS-1100.

Noritsu has old scanner with USB interface. It is Noritsu S1 ( not S1-II ) . Here one for sell with start price US $99.00 ( auction ) :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noritsu-S1-Film-Scanner/233630978873

It is not comfortable to scan films on flatbed scanners. Can do it, when need to scan few films, but would be real pain to do it whole day.

On 7/2/2020 at 9:30 AM, Minilab service said:

As I told before instead is to buy HS-1800 can buy S4 scanner and convert it into HS-1800.

The same is with LS-1100. - can buy S1-II and convert into LS-1100. Price difference between them - about 10 times.

If want to buy ready to scan scanner then can buy LS-600 it is slower, but cheaper than LS-1100.

Noritsu has old scanner with USB interface. It is Noritsu S1 ( not S1-II ) . Here one for sell with start price US $99.00 ( auction ) :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noritsu-S1-Film-Scanner/233630978873

It is not comfortable to scan films on flatbed scanners. Can do it, when need to scan few films, but would be real pain to do it whole day.

What about converting an S2 to 1800?

20 minutes ago, Crofton said:

What about converting an S2 to 1800?

It can't be done.

Only the S4 scanner can be converted to a HS-1800, and a S1-II to a LS-1100

S2 and S3 can be used stand alone. If connect this scanner to workstation CS-1 ( from some QSS32, or QSS34 ) , or use boards from QSS33 ( not SD ) then from S2 and S3 can make S-900SA, or S-1700SA ( if have booster A ) .

Other possibility to find QSS32, QSS33 series minilab where connected S4 scanner. To QSS32, QSS33 can work with S2, S3, S4 S1-II, or without scanner. There connect S2 and S4 convert into HS-1800. Do not need any conversion kits to do it. Need change only one board.

When we are talking about older scanners then stand alone can scanner from most QSS31 series minilabs ( where connected SI-2600 scanner ) . Is possible easy convert it into S-2600SA ( stand alone scanner ) .

Noritsu S1 scanner with USB interface on Ebay was sold at start price ( US $99.00 ) . If you though about similar scanner you could buy it.

Conversion Kit S4 to HS-1800 it includes (cable usb + PCB board + Software + manual ) of course is very easy to do this without manual.

Edited by TECNOR

Conversion kit ( Z811254 ) consists on two pcb, LVDS cable, two covers ( metal and plastic ) , two labels and printed instillation manual.
Really do not need all that. It is enough change one board and have HS-1800. Can add 1m USB extension cable, but even it is not necessary. USB cable can be not removable and plugged directly into the board.

didn't you know that the conversion kit Z811254-01 is now 200% more than it was before 1 April, 2020 Japan raised price. 

please help to double check your supply source  IF my information is still valid !

I'm rich with KITs in stock before "the FOOL Day"  ( 1 April. ). 😷