Sign in to follow this  
Quantenhorst

Lines on images

Hi! 

I am experiencing weird lines on my scans (width: 1px) - about 4 to 6 percent of my images are affected. 
Already run diagnostic check for GPA23 and DIMM - everything normal. Opened Imaging Box and removed dust and cleaned contacts. No change. 

Any ideas what this could be? 

strike_one.jpg

strike_two.jpg

On SP3000 mainly noise give GPA23 and GIA23, but can be other problems ( RAM, GMB23 ) .
If your image box has two GPA23 boards can test when removed one of them. Then test with other.
Also try to clean RAM modules. Box can tested with one RAM module ( gives error, but can to scan ) . This way can test RAM modules.
GIA23 is only one, so need replace, if want to test it. 
GMB23 ( image box main board ) is programmable. It is hard to change it, so better to use for test other image box. Then you can 100% know what cause lines - box, or scanner unit. 

Thx for your quick reply!

Is it possible that either GPA23 or DIMM is broken even though diagnostic check didn't find anything? Will definitely try out working with only one DIMM.

Don't have a second GPA23 board unfortunately. 

What exactly do you mean by 'is programmable'? What would I have to do in order to change it? Apart from physically changing it. 

Can be that have noise, but test software not always see it.
GMB23 ( image box main board ) has internal software. It is loaded during software instillation. When board changed need run software upgrade for this board. Do not need full software  re-instillation. Need install software only on one board ( option from advanced instillation ) .
To replace GMB23 is necessary full dissemble image box, so better to find other image box and test scanner with it. If software version is the same ( or similar ) then do not need to update.

Can some of the admins pls move mirastudio's conversation into a new thread. 

On 9/1/2020 at 2:07 PM, Minilab service said:

Can be that have noise, but test software not always see it.
GMB23 ( image box main board ) has internal software. It is loaded during software instillation. When board changed need run software upgrade for this board. Do not need full software  re-instillation. Need install software only on one board ( option from advanced instillation ) .
To replace GMB23 is necessary full dissemble image box, so better to find other image box and test scanner with it. If software version is the same ( or similar ) then do not need to update.

Okay, so I've tried scanning with ICE turned off and smaller scan size. No change. Also tried changing SLOT for GPA23. 

- Will get my hand on GPA23, GIA and new RAM soon to try out other stuff. 

UPDATE:

For some reason no lines on 6x7 scans .. have scanned 40 images so far. Maybe coincidence. 

Have tested new GPA23, GIA23 and new RAM DIMMs. Still lines on my scans. Also, have had a perpendicular(!) line on one of the frames too. For some odd reason, this line was on the very same image in a completely different run. Slightly different spot, but yeah. Only perpendicular line .. doesn't make any sense to me.
Next would be GMB23 I fear.

Have replaced GMB23 today - no change. 

But I remembered that - some months ago - I performed a grey pixel detection and it gave me an error E-4570. I didn't investigate further cuz the scans looked fine at that time. Seems as if my CCD is faulty. Pretty much doomed I guess.

Focusing jig is to make optical magnification calibration (0346 menu) , focus calibration for each zoom rate (0347 menu) , optical axis adjustment (0345 menu) , see carrier inclination  (0342 menu) and few other. General focus can be corrected without chart - focus position adjustment (0321 menu) . Focus calibration for each zoom rate need to have good focus with all zoom rates. If magnification calibration missing scanner can't work ( have error ) . Have do these tests, or load settings from backup.

I know, but what is optical magnification actually? Focus?? As I said, I have tried loading different mag calib from another scanner. It didn‘t affect the outcome visibly. So what is it good for? I mean you need that massive jig to perform, so how can it be that a ‚borrowed‘ calib file works just as well?

Optical magnification calibration is to find correct values for exact scanner zoom . They are to have positions, where zoom should stop to have correct magnification.
For these zoom rates on 0347 menu need to make focus calibration ( to have similar focus when zoom is in different positions ) .
0321 menu makes focus only on one zoom rate. Focus on other zoom positions depends how good it was calibrated on 0347.

All CCD data stored on CCD board. When you put other CCD you see message that data on HD and CCD board mismatch. Choose transfer CCD data into HD to match them. Just in case before changing CCD make scanner backup. When CCD is new it is supplied with floppy and you should load data from it.

Yes will do. 

I am confident that a new CCD will solve the problem. My thought is that since the lines are horizontal and vertical and are either white or black, they are probably defective pixels that cannot be corrected. Most of the time, these pixels "infect" the following pixels, creating lines. 

Theoretically it could also be the CPZ23 board, but I don't think so. GSR23 and GIE23 will certainly not be the cause. 

And I have tested all other relevant boards. 

Have you ever had the experience with the error code E-4750 and the like? Do you think I am right with my diagnosis?

CPZ23 is just to make CCD micro-movements. Micro movements doesn't work, when scanned small size.

E-4750 means gray pixels more than specified number of pixels were detected (full mode: 300 pixels, other modes: 100 pixels). If see this error then faulty CCD unit.

New CCD unit data can read on 0350 menu. There for CCD are two buttons - Storage ( to read data from CCD board memory  into HD ) and Reading ( to send HD data into CCD board ) . Buttons are active only when data mismatch. When use other CCD you need read data into HD ( press Storage ) .