hivanov

Fujifilm DE100 vs. DX100

Since I have got some experience over the time with both printers and I think it can be helpful for those who has to choose between, there is some info good to know:

1. Print quality - DE100 wins - better uniformity in both lights and shadows, a bit higher optical resolution, overall more typical wet lab look. However the margin is narrow.

2. Print speed - practically same

3. Reliability - point for DE100 - much higher build quality on DE100 - not only for printhead that is designed to last 4-5 times more than DX100 but other essential components are also build for reliability. They are too many aspects and details here but in short you should not expect to have any issues with DE100 up to his designed life span end of 200,000 prints where DX100 barely gets without problem up to 100,000 copies. Also expand life of DE100 above 200K prints is much easier - maintenance and reset software is embedded in to supplied software with the printer. My wild guess is that DE100 will get to 400K with ease.

4. Operating costs - all point goes to DX100 - ink cost is almost twice lees on DX100 compared to DE100. DE100 uses around 10% up to max 15% less ink but the price of cartridge is almost double. Moreover they are number of non OEM good quality inks for DX100 but for DE100 there is only one source other than OEM and the prices are still heavy. Maintenance tank is also more expensive and can not be refurbished nor to be reset as easy as on DX100. 

That is it in short. 

Honestly, forget both printers. Both are not made by Fujifilm, DE100 made by Ricoh and DX100 made by Epson. Instead, get Epson D700 or D800. Way more cheaper tha Fujifilm consumable. If you said DX100 inks is more cheaper than DE100, Epson's ink cheaper than DX100 although they are basically the same just different chip.

Downside is, Epson Order Controller software is crappy compare than Fujifim's but still usable

Honestly, first of all DE100 is not made by Ricoh, it uses Ricoh heads but that does not mean that is made by Ricoh at all. Second DX100/D700 inks has practically same prices all over the world. Two Japan big corporations will play on dumping prices for same product? This is unthinkable for them. D800 is essentially D700 with more durable printhead, (among some other parts) and yet ..  D800 PH has 3 times less life span vs. Ricoh`s heads used in DE100. The fact is that DE100 is much more well build machine from engineering point of view compared to any of epson`s clones. 

Inkjet business is too complicated to talk it over here, but I'm in it for almost 15 years and I can tell you for sure .. stay away from anything epson build from last 5-10 years. It is not the Epson that it was before.

There is fun fact for you. Fujifilm own one of the major Inkjet printhead manufacturing company, one of the largest ink and colorants manufacturer (FFIC) and world most advance fine  coating process company ... and yet they do not do on there own neither ink, printers nor paper for there dry lab photofinishing business.

Well, that's depend on where're you live, i used to be Fujifilm shop since 1995, even my father was Fujifilm tech since 1970, we use all Fujifilm minilab, from FA series, to SFA series and now Frontier series, but since Frontier fujilm just like stop developing, their software is good but the latest update was years ago, compare to Noritsu, the EZ software has last years updated. So Our Fujifilm Frontier now uses Noritsu EZ Software since they're the same. Now talking about inkjet, i agree epson printer not last that long, but they're cheap to maintenance. Here in my country Fujifilm support is very pathetic, small office, not available at all cities, and slow respond , compare to epson, here in my country Epson has factory with 15.000 employees, service centre at almost all cities, and resonable parts prices...that nothing compare fujifilm that only has small office .

Service and support is another thing. It may vary by huge margin from country to country and that is why I did not mention it in the comparison.

Anyway my point is that fuji doesn't care about photo fihinishing business from long ago. From around 2000`s when it comes very clear that the film is done.

Soon or a later they will go out from our business as Kodak, Agfa, Konica etc. did before.

yeah but sadly, service and support is the most important thing for your business, you dont want to buy expensive printer without proper support, just like many my friends who did bought DX100, now that printer is discontinued, many of them convert it to epson by replacing printers mainboard, and use epson inks..