Densitometer calibration  AD100

servmanmex

Sorry, not familiar how to calibrate this particular model.  Is there are reference strip (a plaque wouldn't even fit into this autodensitometer) you can use to calibrate it?

I want to say it would be on a thick plastic card.  As every lamp color balance is slightly different, I think this one is burning slightly yellower, causing as a result the blue tint.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Did you get it fixed?

If not here is some additional info:

The AD-100 unfortunately cannot be recalibrated (AFAIK). Because of this situation, and AD-100's getting old thereby loosing accuracy, FUJIFILM Netherlands has come up with a solution.

We developed a small device, named "Calibrero" which fits between the densitometer and its connetion cord.

The device comes with its own calibration charts, which you have to feed preferably once a month.

In effect, this device automatically recalibrates the AD-100 (or AD2/300) so you get nice gray output.

I have included  a promotion jpeg's with further information.

From what country are you?

We deliver Calibrero to many countries FUJIFILM distributors and subsidiaries...

If you are interested or need additional information, please let me know!

Greetings,

Auke Nauta

Digital Imaging Engineer, FUJIFILM Netherlands.

Not that I am picking on your device in particular, in any way, but I am surprised at the level of automation that I continually see applied to densitometry.  

A lot of the problems with auto densitometers are CAUSED by idiot-proofing features that are compromised by age of components, wear-and-tear, etc.  Keeping it simple and using manual features not only help you catch wear-and-tear on calibration plaques and transmission strips, but ulitimately I think saves time and money in the long run by bypassing headaches like this altogether!

I rememember spending the better part of an entire production day back in '09 on a stupid auto densitometer on a Noritsu 2301.  Owner spent the better part of an hour explaining why switching into manual mode and using our completely reliable, accurate, X-Rite Model 810 Densitometer was obsolescent, etc. etc. etc., so instead we played around with a plastic card all day and wasted several square feet of paper for what ended up being the probe reading the blank part of the plastic calibration "plaque" instead of the d-max.

Have had all sorts of similar problems with custom control strips, AIM, HIT dots with later-model X-Rite auto densitometers.  The speed at which they work can easily be defeated by a simple change by manufacturers, an all day ordeal for something as simple as a change in size or position of the patches on the control strips.

Once again, more time is spent "tricking" these machines into reading the proper points.  I remember a serious ordeal in early 2010 when we had to start reading Eastman Color Print (color positive film) sensis with a "high-tech" X-Rite.

Personally, if your Frontier accepts manual imput, I'd sooner deal with that than buying a whole new piece of equipment.  You can get an older X-Rite for practically nothing!

Thanks for the help, Anauta

The problem is already solved.

I am in mexico and distributor of Xrite my city says that the lamp for the densitometer is discontinued.

Then replace the lamp with a white LED, so the gray became blue.

At last I found a tungsten lamp very similar to the original and this solved the problem.

anyway, the CALIBRERO seems a good option.

Thanks again.

Hi,

I agree with most things you mention, and I am all for simple solutions!

Regarding the Frontier however, the AD-100 cannot be replaced by another model (even using manual input, as you described).

This is a pity, as many other devices, like the X-rites can easily be calibrated using their own calibration strip.

Furthermore, the "white" calibration patch inside of the AD-100 does age up to a point where gray output gets quite yellowish, and sometimes certain paper types cannot be calibrated at all!

That is why we developed Calibrero, the next best thing after internal re-calibration.

Operation is as simple as it can be. Connect, measure the supplied calibration chart, finished. No time wasting whatsover.

We have sold hundreds of these devices in Europe so far...

Greetings,

Auke

Not that I am picking on your device in particular, in any way, but I am surprised at the level of automation that I continually see applied to densitometry.  

A lot of the problems with auto densitometers are CAUSED by idiot-proofing features that are compromised by age of components, wear-and-tear, etc.  Keeping it simple and using manual features not only help you catch wear-and-tear on calibration plaques and transmission strips, but ulitimately I think saves time and money in the long run by bypassing headaches like this altogether!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...