Replace PC connected via firewire to SP3000

erik

Dear forum, I kindly ask you for help.

Is it possible to replace the computer connected via firewire to a SP3000? I have a C4C5-system and use the scanner in stand alone mode.

I want to replace the computer with a new one with faster disks and gigabit ethernet. In short - is it possible to replace the fuji supplied computer with a generic PC with firewire?

thanks a lot for help

Yep, you're right. There's some sort of signalling regarding power-on via one of the cables, while the other is the connection between the computer and the mcu.

If I somehow figure that out - how do I reinstall the software? I have quite a large bunch of original installation CDs - but I can't wrap my head around what software is installed where etc. The C4C5 client / server works good - it's only the EZII (or what it's called) that I don't know how to re-install.

And you're totally right regarding the speed. But I think I could gain some speed with better networking. In my workflow I scan everything highres, and transferring the files (around 60 mb each) takes six seconds on the onboard 100mbit network card. So, regardless of fuji software, I should in theory be able to send a complete roll of 135mm quite a bit faster.

36 * 6 = 216 seconds to transfer the roll. (I know there's a overhead in the imaging box etc).

and with a 1gbit nic, and normal SATA disks, it could probably take quite a less time.

But - for the most part I really interested in future proofing the computer a little bit. It's so much easier to find normal sata-drives instead of older onces etc.

I'm not sure what options you have installed. But on top of the base OS you only need the system disk (a1 software) to operate. You need to be sure that there are 2 hard drives (or 2 partitions on 1 drive might work. Just be sure that the partition sizes are a min of what the drive sizes are now.). The software uses the D drive for all functions. Your best bet is probably to copy the entire hard drive images to new drives, then all you have to do is change hardware drivers.

As far as the power on, take a look at the current fire wire settings. Under the 1394 network adapters see if one of them is set up for wake on lan. Might also want to check the bios for this feature. I have been working on these scanners since the day they came out. (employed as a field tech). But I have never dug this far into them. If I come up with any more information, I'll let you know.

I'll poke around and report back what I find.

Btw, as a field tech - have you ever seen a custom mcu, or some other way to speed up scanning / workflow in general? I'm wondering about the possibilities to run XP on them instead of 2000, but that's probably pushing my luck.

Running XP should be possible, but there might be a limit on the service pack level you can go. I know that the SP3000 runs Win 2000 SP4 which should be the same as XP SP2. Again. something you can play with. Thankfully you are doing this project while your current MCU is still working. Gives you time to play.

As far a a custom MCU, I have seen it on the SP1500/2000/2500, but they use a serial connection on a pci card to power on, so that one is easy. I have not seen any custom computers in a sp3000. In fact, that is the only place I havent seen one. But then again, all of the SP3000s I've worked on have been in major retailers.