Fuji dry lab paper & ink prices

photo7studio

I did the maths on dry labs about a year ago and was surprised.

I compared a new dry at 13000 and 6p with my old wet at 65000 and 2p for 4x6

I assumed 1000 prints per day over 4years.

I concluded that I should keep my wet for as long as poss, but if I needed a new lab I should definitely buy a dry.

Ok. Wet labs are now half my assumption price, but for wet labs, the machine cost PER print has always been higher than the material cost per print.

My assumption above showed the total cost very similar, but the plug and play no maintenace aspect made the dry lab win.

Phil (old wet)

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I rec'd a full pricing breakdown from Fuji Canada a few months ago.  With my Fuji discount, a 4x6" print should be CDN$ .1104 each total.  8x10" comparisons for Dry they state at CDN$.0368  My current RA4 lab works out at about $.30 currently - that's real close when you consider the rest of the equation.

Keep in mind that RA4 supplies have gone up a lot in the past year for us and are expected to continue to rise.  Add the cost of electricity and air heating/cooling to run a wet lab, the higher cost of the machines (cost of borrowing), cost of effluent handling, cost of space required for the equipment and things start to look much more likely that Dry Labs will be less costly if you need to replace a lab.

I'm still looking at a Noritsu Dry Lab and posted other info in the Digital section.

Hi Doug. If you aren't a Foto Source member in Canada, you may want to check it out as we have a pretty good deal with Fuji for paper, definately no increases for us in the last while.  As for the dry lab, you may want to inquire as to the cost of a replacement print head. I have heard they can be as expensive as a new laser unit for a wet lab.  Up in the dry north, there could be issues with clogging (like many have had with Epson wide format printers).

Thanks for the info.  I know the print head can be expensive, but 4 to 5 thousand is a lot less than a new laser engine.  That's the info I got from Noritsu, Fuji may be different even though it's the same hardware. So far in my investigations, I have only come across one person with a minor clog problem and that was from not running any prints for 3 weeks.  

I am not an Epson fan at all. I gave up on Epson years ago after many problems so I appreciate the reminder that it's their head and their technology.

As far as Fuji prices - that's interesting. I run a sports/school photo business and we do our own processing so I doubt that I qualify for Foto Source.  I am shocked that you didn't get any price increases in the past year. Sooner or later it will catch up to you I expect.

Well, Foto Source as a whole is a rather large customer for Fuji, and I suspect bargains pretty hard for our paper contract.   There are Foto Source members who aren't retail camera stores, so it may be worth an inquirey for you.  I would imagine the discounts for dry lab materials would be less than for RA products as they would have a lower margin for Fuji.  Lasers can now commonly be repaired for about $5000.00 by a couple places in the USA, I have heard much higher prices than that for printhead replacement on Fuji dry labs, but of course that is just rumours.  You might find that Noritsu's software may be easier to integrate into a school lab workflow compared to Fuji's MS01.  I would imagine a dry lab could be easier to run for a business with strong variations in volume, such as yours.  Please keep us posted on whatever choice you make, and if you do go for a dry lab, be sure to post some followups of how it all works for you!