F340 sorter error

tech2

Hi all, another one for you...

I have a problem 340 where I have been getting overlapped prints. Now I know that the P2 crossover is responsible for this-the rollers have swelled on the ends and created a gap between the rollers, the print behind catch's up and gets stuck on top or gets too close to the print in front. I think I am getting the sorter error W-2701 "sorting failed" because of this as the machine can't time the number of prints coming through if they are too close together. Does anyone know of a different cause of this error, could it be related to a dryer problem?

Regards

Tech2

I have had overlapped prints associated with a "paper jam in the exit section" and discovered it was cause by a pinion gear slipping on its crosspin in the top of the P1 rack. If the same thing is happening in the P2 or later it wouldn't cause the paper jam in the exit section but could cause the overlapping prints. This pinion gear is hidden under a plastic cover in the top of each rack, not the crossovers but the rack itself. We put a shim behind the gear to keep it from slipping on its crosspin.

The error is because it counts less pictures coming out than getting in.

I also have the PS2 crossover rack problem, and one of the rollers has a kind of rubber or silicone added to its suerface from the previous owner, a good and resistant material, but the other roller needs that treatment, too, and I do not know what material it is.

So I took a 15cm wide strip of adhesive paper for home printer, with plastic surface, and put on the middel of the roller that caused trouble because of swelling.

It works flawless, and stays on, but this is a temporary solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

This problem has been solved.

The exit section up-down belt was off the arm, this was causing overlapping and caused jams and damage in many parts of the processor. A major jam of prints in rack 6 and crossover I think slipped the chain off the inadequate guide roller in the dryer. The chain had come completely off the guide roller. After this occurred jamming was constant. The guide roller had also been worn down and was shaped hexagonally by the action of the chain, making it too small to carry the chain adequately. Also the chain guide (chain slider) at the end had been ground down due to the guide roller not carrying the tension of the chain. The sorter failed error continually appeared.  I was taken in the wrong direction with this one thinking that the P2 crossover was the culprit as it is in so many cases of overlapping prints, this crossover was in  particularly poor shape, rollers swelled and handle broken.

The exit section belt was restored first, the chain put back on the guide roller, a new guide roller replaced as well as the chain slider. Check also for rack and crossover damage caused by major paper jams. I also found that rack 6 screw mount was cracked in the drive shaft bearing holder screw mount causing the drive shaft to slip. It is possible I had two causes of the jamming going at once here with the rack 6 screw housing but I think this was caused later by overlapping prints and a jam up in this rack causing damage.

Regards

Tech2