density gradient on Frontier 350 and 390

Michaelka

i am concerned with folowing problem for a long time: Our two Printers are both generating a density gradient across the paper in a way you got lower density on the right side  of the paper (in driving direction) than on the left side. Best way to see this is to make a test pattern as a "borderless contact". You can see the effect in the image (generated in Photoshop, but it looks like the testpatern). The lighter the color the more yellow it is too.

This apears on all paperwidths and all kinds of paper, so i guess it is a problem of the laserunit? Or is it possible to adjust anything?

Mostly this is a problem on BW-Prints with less Details, but customers already complaint about this with Colorprints.

Do somebody now something about this Phenomenon?

Any kind of information will be helpfull.

Thank you very much

Michaelka

It would appear that something is progressively blocking the red and green laser beams as they travel towards the right. Since you say the lighter the print the yellower it is, it would seem that the blue laser is not being blocked. This could be something as simple as a maladjusted anti-dust shutter, dirty optics, or a misalignment of the laser unit. Did both of your units start doing this at the same time? Was it progressive or sudden? I am interested in helping you remedy this problem. It would be helpful to add this to my list of problems and remedies.

Kevin

National Laser Co.

Hi Kevin ,thank you very much for your Answer! Unfortunately i don't know if the problem starts suddenly or in progress, because this gradient is inconspicuous on average Color prints but is more or less visible on BW-Prints - as i described above it is most noticable on consistent areas like Heaven or any kind of consistent structures. So i noticed this phenomenon a few month ago on one unit, then i compared with the other one and discoverd the same Problem (a liittle bit fewer, i think because the 1. machine is 2 years older) . A technican said, it would be neccessary to clean the laser inside, but he approved me not to do this by myself but to send it to Fuji - with about 3000 Euro costs.

Whats about the idea of a maldjusted anti-dust-shutter? I can't imagin this, because the shutter is either open or not,isnt it? But anything is possible -

misaligned Laser: Is it possible to adjust it via technical menu? I am confirmed quite well to most of the items in the SE2-Menu.

Until today with got no  customer  complaint, but It's merely a matter of time.

Bye for now!

Michael

The shutters on these units open just enough to clear the beam in most instances. I have seen several where the shutter was at an angle when open due to some wear on the hinge bushings. This could cause it to block part of the beam nearer one edge. I verify and adjust this on all Fuji laser units I repair. I have seen several where this is the only problem. If you are comfortable removing the laser unit yourself I can talk you through adjusting the shutter and even cleaning the inside of the laser. Please contact me at kwaller@nationallaser.com