Purchasing a Frontier 370...

MockTurtle

Hi,

We're currently looking at purchasing a 2nd hand Frontier 370 minilab...

I am guessing when an ad says 'printer only' it means it doesn't include the scanner/image processor unit (sp-2000).

...keep in mind I'm new to all this so please pardon my ignorance.

- do we require a sp-2000 for the unit to function?

- what is the 'fdi main pc': is this the server/order processing pc? is this unit required for the printer to function?

- what software must we make sure is included? and which versions?

- is it possible to configure a server/order pc using only the supplied/third-party software?

basically we want to be able to get orders from kiosks, so if we are not able to process film its no big deal...

Thanks in advance...

For digital printing you don't need scanner. scanner required if film orders are there.  two pc's required to operate Printer processor. one should work as a print server ( FMPC or LPC) which is directly connected to printer and other one using for send orders to printer via network thru  FMPC.

FDI main PC terms usually used for Order PC.

there wont be  much third party software are available for Printing except Fuji propriety software.  but there is  which is not so common called  front line software.

Printer only means no scanner at all. but make sure it has a controller PC ( FMPC or LPC)

you can use touch screen Kiosk with above mentioned combination.

C.......R

I have a Frontier 370. It is one of three printers that I own, that being said it is my favorite by far. I would recommend buying a second hand system that includes the controller and the scan station such as the SP-2000. I say this because this is how the printer was originally sold. Depending on your location, I am in the US, you should be able to get both the 370 and the SP-2000 for around $10,000 max. The fuji supplied kiosks will work with this printer natively. The FDI-PC is the order processing server. It usually runs Fuji pix pro or other fuji branded software. There are third party programs that eliminate the need for the fuji ordering software. I currently use Express Digital to process my jobs. It is one of my favorite printers, just today alone I ran 2,449 10x13 prints on it. It is built well and parts are readily available from fuji and from many third party vendors. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks guys .. n gals!

I really do appreciate all your input. I will probably be bugging you all with more questions in the near future.

Will get word re the actual configuration tomorrow. But by the looks of things it looks like its the complete set.

Re kiosk, will probably 'build' our own kiosk using third party software. This should be possible right?

btw, rthom24, thanks for mentioning ExpressDigital. Looks awesome. Might just give it a go as well.

cheers y'all.

hi peeps,

...just a few more questions.

- temp of laser. what should this be? how to check?

- how important is di controller?

reason is i have two options. one with di controller for 14k USD and one without controller for 10k USD.

thanks guys am almost there. really do appreciate all your help. beers all round if i could!

cheers!

The di, is the digital imaging controller. Without it or another set of software like express digital you cannot send digital images to the fuji, you can ONLY print from the scanner. The price of $14K is high. I paid $9K for mine with the F-DI. I do know that there are some F-DI controllers on ebay for $800-$2K. As for the temp of the laser, I cannot remember specifically what the temp is, but you can check the temp. of the laser by using the printer control station that is directly attached to the printer.

HY GUYS

I'M REALLY INTERESTED BY YOUR DISCUTION WOULD YOU GUYS TELL

ME HOW TO GET A GO CONDITION FRONTIER 355/375:350/370 AT THE PRICE OF 10,000USD OR LESS AS U MENTIONED EALIER?

I'M IN NEED OF ONE SET TOO.

THANKS FOR ANY REPLY

COUNTRY CAMEROON in CENTRAL AFRICA

EMAIL: DOUGHENRY29@YAHOO.FR