"Paper Condition setup" - yellow tint on print

photographertunisia

Following my post earlier, it now appears the problem is with the "paper condition setup" not as I said ealier (upkeep printing). The print is tinted with yellow, instead of being white. The densitometer gives an OK when we feed this print into it, but the photos are also tinted with yellow. What is the problem and how can it be solved? Thanks.

I had the same problem, only matt crystal archive paper gives this light yellow tint, other papers, Supreme matt and glossy and Crystal Archive paper glossy are bright white. So I don't use this type of  paper anymore.  Updating the LUT is not making any difference. I think it is the paper itself that creates this problem.

When you load  the paper mag. and print it feeds the leading edge of the paper thru the strip should be part black and white. If it is white there you have a balance/exposure issue, if it is NOT white there then you have an issue with the paper it self. Old emulsion or heat damage. If all papers are yellow then a chemical issue.

PeterD - We've changed the paper from matte to crystal archive glossy and we still have the same problem. The LUT has been updated. Any ideas what else we could do? Nand Gw suggested performing "Data Download" as some parameters could be incorrect. Someone else suggested a problem with the B AOM or clicking on "initialize" in the paper condition setup. I'm really stuck now. Thanks for your help.

Bri- Thanks to you also for your advice. All the papers we've tried have the same yellow tint mixed with white. You suggest it could be a chemical issue.What could be the problem with the chemicals?

As Bri suggested, look at the lead paper. Open and close the magazine door then do a condition print. If the first piece of paper comes out white, it probably means you have a laser problem. Dirty optics inside the laser cavity can cause this yello tint to everything. If you do decide it is the laser I can help. Contact me at:

Kevin Waller

kwaller@nationallaser.com

• 1 month later...

I sounds like the problem is in the AOM. If you are not familiar with AOM's and how they work, you can render them useless very easily. If you get a technician who knows what he is doing he will know how to clean the AOM. Then realignment is necessary unless you can remove the AOM cover and clean the crystal without moving the AOM.

• 2 weeks later...

Following my last post we've changed the chemicals and changed the AOM and we still have the problem of yellowish tint on the upkeep print. On the  condition print  the yellow line is too dark and there's a yellow shadow around the black shape at the top.I've enclosed 2 photos, one of the upkeep print and the second is the beam of the laser. Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Hi Kevin. I've sent you a private message which is more or less the same as my post. I'm worried about cleaning the optics, because I've heard that it could damage the whole laser section. Even the Fuji technician here does not have the right to open up the laser to clean the optics. I'm sure it's not the AOM causing the problem as the technician installed a new one in my minilab to test it, but the prints are still the same. There's certainly a lot of dust in the air here which could contaminate the optics, I suppose. If you have a look at the prints which I've enclosed you'll see that on the print with the 3 coloured strips, the yellow is too dark. How can we be 100% sure that it's dirty optics causing the problem and where along the path? Could you give me some instructions on how to open the laser and clean it, without damaging it? I'd be most grateful. Thanks, Nouredinne.

Hello Nouredinne,

First of all, the technician must have replaced the AOM "DRIVER". The AOM itself is in the laser unit. It is the AOM that I suspect. Unfortunately with the complexity of the unit and the techniques involved in cleaning optics I cannot really go into detail on how to clean it. The techniques to clean optics takes alot of practice and special care. I would hate to have you try it with my instructions and have irreparable damage occur. Please see private message for further help.

Hi, Because it is more of a drift on your horizontal lines, it looks like it might actually be a problem with your subscanner... You can try making the fine adjustments in your maintenance menu with an inverted magnifier, if you can not bring the drift of yellow back to black, you may need to replace your subscanner.

hi,

before anything just try to do the rough scan and main scan adjustments. also do main scan beam position adjustments.

check the results. also findout the printer data sheet inside bottom paper magazine unit. compare the values. if any changes, first make it same as its the data sheet then do the rough scan main adjustments.

regards,

C.R

Before open up the laser unit cover

1. Clean Densitometer White Board .

2. Download all parameters (45U , 45V or 0558  depend version)

3. Chang paper type is F

4. Paper condition setup by Initialize all magazine.

5. If you step 1-4 problem not clear laser unit  faulty Check B laser and B AOM (not B AOM Driver) inside laser unit.

P.S. You can open cover laser unit just to be careful. do not afraid fuji frontier 350 laser very strong. mark the position if you want to remove something inside laser unit (Check only B Laser and B AOM).

Thanks Nand Gw! We're not going to touch the AOM, but want to try to clean the optics. Do you know with what we can clean: maybe cleaning fluid for spectacles or just the special cloth for cleaning spectacles? Do you advise me to go ahead and open up the laser to clean the inside optics? Can you help with advice on where and how to clean and do you think it will help to solve the yellow colour on the keepup prints? If we want to check the AOM what should the action be?