Minimum Replenishment Rates Frontier 340 & 350

manager

I have Frontier 340 & 350 that make at least 100 prints per day, average of 2000 and often over 5-6000.

I suspect that standard replenishment rates are calculated for every bussiness activity, high or low, for not allowing the chemicals to lose properties even if the printing activity is close to zero, as I had months like that when opening new shops years ago.

So, if I print a lot, then I believe I should recalculate these rates to a lower level.

What do you think about this and what do you believe could be the lowest Replenishment Rate for P1 and P2

so I can mantain quality while saving chemicals?

Each print exhausts the chemical by a certain amount. The machine monitors how much paper is being processed, and replenishes accordingly.  Technically, if you are processing a few prints or a whole bunch of prints, the machine should replenish the amount needed.  In the real world, it is generally accepted that you have to replenish a bit higher if your volume is low to help make up for the effect of oxidation on the developer.  Frontier minilabs aren't as susceptible to this , however, due to high level of sealing between the crossovers and the tanks. There is very little space for air to get at the chemistry.  The standard rates set by Fuji are usually perfect for both high and low volume labs. If they are not, you will see it on your process control strips. If your plots tend to climb up, then you should drop the rates a little, or increase them if the plots are dropping.  Of course it is also important to regularly do pump output checks for the replenisher system. Fuji does sell low replenishment chemistry for Frontiers that are consistently seeing large print counts.  This saves about 10 % on chemistry costs. Your Fuji distributor can look at your paper purchases and advise if you have enough volume to use this.

The only true way to manage your rep. rates is to run Control Strips (often) and not wait till you have a problem. Though Digital is new to me since I took a few years off till now I have been in the industry for 25 plus years and it still amazes me that suck a critical tool such as control strips are never run untill after someone suspects they have an issue. If you run and plot controls daily you will always know where your machine is running and if you need to adjust for low utilization and remember in the long run it's alot cheaper to run controls than it is to have to dump and remix.

• 13 years later...

The machine monitors how much paper is being processed, and replenishes accordingly.

When we have a low volume printing, like 30-60 prints per day and for a longer period (months), we must double the rated for P1R and P2, otherwise the black will turn into slight blue in the prints or control strip. So i don't think this automatic process is  reliable and since we insert manually rates into Replenisher Rate Settings, the lab has to follow exactly those rates.

Just to be clear, we were on a normal period with 200-600 prints, on a Frontier 330, at 45 for P1R and 35 for P2R and now i have to double again the rates since the blue starts to appear on the prints and control strip - see the left strip, were blue started to show again, due to low volume of printing.

IMG_20220808_0001.jpg