Making a Fuji CA Paper Response

KenTen

Since I can't get Kodak Edge to quit jamming in my DKS 1710, I'm going to switch to Fuji CA.  Since the Fuji looks all yellow-green, I'm going to try to make a custom Fuji CA paper response.  I bought an X-Rite 811 on eBay and I'm going to try to use it to accomplish the task.  I've calibrated the X-Rite.

First I'll load PapResp_Standard_02.cst since it's the closest for Fuji CA and balance the machine.

Then I'll calibrate the internal densitometer on the KIS with Fuji paper.  I'll print a paper setup target then read it with the X-rite.  Then I'll plug those numbers into the densitometer calibration utility in SU and do an internal densitometer calibration with the Fuji paper on the Fuji densitometer channel.

Finally I'll find the paper response creation utility in SU, print the targets read them three times and average the values, plug them in and save it as a delta response based on the original response.  Does this sound right?

Please understand that I have no idea what I'm talking about nor what I'm doing.  I'm just gathering this from what I've read.  If you think I'm doing anything wrong or you have any suggestions, please let me know.  I'll be giving this a shot Monday and I'll let you know what happened (if anything).

Best Regards

Ken

Yes, that is the correct procedure, with few tips I could add  ;)

Clean the lenses and measuring cell in the middle of the exposure deck.

Also do not forget to chose the Fuji densito channel in the paper managament and save the change.

I hope your tank chemistry is in good state, otherwise when you change it at some point this NEW paper response will not match perfectly  8)

• 4 weeks later...

OK, first problem.

I'm trying to read the daily strip to make a Fuji densitometer cal strip, but the densitometer reads 1.13 1.08 1.07.  My old cal strip has these numbers handwritten on it  W: 9 9 10 G: 99 98 99.  Am I supposed to translate the reading I got  to these numbers or did I buy the wrong densitometer?  I have an xrite 811.

Thanks for reading,

Ken

I did this and it worked.  I can see my balance getting better.  What concerns me now is that my on board densitometer seems to be somewhat inconsistent.  I looked in the service manual and it recommends cleaning.  Does anyone know how to clean the densitometer built into the DKS1710?

Awesome results!  I followed the directions Perica gave here:

http://www.minilabhelp.com/forum/Blah.pl?m-1236793643/s-0/

and created a new response.  My color cast is gone!  I may even begin to like this Fuji paper.

Thanks to everyone for reading and thank much to Perica for the awesome advice.  I may even try to do a prnu next!!

PRNU is not in relation with paper response becase even if there is shift in the colours and densities after making the new PRNU this will be balanced with the new paper setup.

PRNU is exposed as middle gray test as paper setup is, and paper response corrects complete paper curve from white to black  ;)