Need to replace my Noritsu 3202

JamesBond007

Hello evey1,

I have a Noritsu 3202 which is in perfect working condition, however, my shop is really small & so the noristu has been in the basement for the last 4 years.  I am fed up of running up & down all day long & so am now considering replacing my noritsu with something that is smaller in size (the 3202 comes with a separate desk/scanner which takes up alot of space) so that I can place it on the shopfloor which will make my business more efficient in terms of serving customers & printing at the same time on the same shop floor.

So, with that in mind, I am just here for some guidance.  I am not a fan of dry labs (cost per print!) & the only alternative I can think of are the smaller PhotoME wetlabs.  However, which1 should I go for & how much do they cost?  I have been offered a DKS 1550 for £3k by another lab owner who is closing down & also been offered a DKS 1710 by PhotoMe at £25k (which I think is overpriced?)....any advice guys?

Or how about Noritsu 3701?  I ve heard they are smaller as the LCD/scanner sits on top of the machines (same as PhotoMe's)...does anyone know how much does a used 3701 cost & where I am likely to find one?

Thanks.

James Bond

How about using QSS-KIDS?

That would allow you to print digital orders from a standard networked PC that you could have on the shop floor.

Obviously it does not help with the space issue in the basement, but at least there would be less running up and down the stairs!

I personally would stick with the reliable well built Noritsu.

The 37 is basically the same size as the 32 printer without the control station. It has a separate scanner and PC that is connected to the machine by a network connection, so in theory the PC and scanner could be placed anywhere that is a networkable distance away from the machine.

James, don't be put off with the cost per print on a drylab. This has been brought up before , that it is a misconception. Wet labs apparent cheapness is outweighed by the time - and therefore money consumed in maintenance, checmistry etc, etc, power costs, staff training etc.

Dry labs are less fuss, do not consume as much power, are hassle free, do not require labourious start ups and cleaning. Why do you think the big lab companies are investing so much time and effort into them?

Rethink dry labs. Besides I thought 007 had all the latest gimmicks and gadgets?  ;)

A "poor man's" version of QSS-Kids / EZ-Controller is what we do:

Use VNC to remote desktop the Noritsu machine to print digital orders.  It's fairly trouble free and have had no issues playing around with it.  Doesn't help if you need to physically be at the machine to change paper or pick-up prints, but for PJP'ing images to print, it's great.... I can be fat and lazy at my computer, and print from our Noritsu a mere 10 feet away.

@ Mark,

I know there is no end to the wet vs dry lab debate but i ve done quite a bit of homework on this & have reached the conclusion that wet is still cheaper, though I would love to be proved wrong...so am open to facts I may have missed.  Even if i were to take electric bills into account (£2k per annum for me but this is for the whole shop, not just the noristsu) & chemistry (£1k per annum max), even then wet lab works out cheaper.  What I do absolutely HATE though is paying £5k per annum for maintenance contract on the Noritsu.  How much are the maintenace contracts on the dry labs?

@ Dave S,

Totally agree in that the Noritsu is so much more reliable...but then again, if I am paying £5k on annual maintenace contract, what difference does it make if its a noritsu or a photome dks!

any idea, where I can get hold of a 3701 & how much do they cost?  would love to have 1 on shopfloor & stop running up/down all day long!