Racks Not Turning

Beach Photo

I have a 1710 and the racks will not turn on.  They don't start on startup and I can't get them to turn through super user. All the ssr's are ok and I don't see any blown fuses. I can hear the relay for the motor click, but the motor doesn't turn. I can physically turn the rack motor without any resistance and it turns the rack gears easily. On startup the paper is cut and it is fed into the machine but stops before it gets into the first rack because the racks are not turning.  Any ideas?

I have had the same problem twice, and on my side it was the rack motor. I have replaced mine, but just to get going I opened up the motor, sandpapered the comms and the brushes, as it is a brushed motor. It then gave me life for about another 6 months.

If there is the voltage on the motor (about 9V I think), and motor is not turning then there is the problem with the motor itself, usually the brushes are worn out over the time.

But beside this there was manufacturer error on some DKS3 where there was missing ball bearing on the exit shaft and the motor had a lot off free space on that shaft  with the main gear on it.

But I heard that there was also problem with some tank PCBs.

The problem with my machine is the tank board. I checked the rack motor by removing the connector and attaching a simple 9 volt battery to the connector and the motor turns. I am not getting voltage to the motor from the board, so now I have to replace it like jorm said. Who has these boards (any good used ones?) and how much are they in US Dollars?

• 1 month later...