d-lab2 / cross precess prints

maja

I was told that cross processed (E6 through C-41) scans or prints as B/W. In order to get some color I have to scan or print it as B/W and add +9 Saturation. But I didn't like

the output. The color is very pale. I am not expecting normal color. I want really funky  colors such as cross process delivers.

Scan in b&w when you require a colour output? Odd. Have you tried scanning in colour?

Certainly the colours are (or can be) 'funky' when printed from the neg. but never printed from a scan, but I would assume it would give you far more latitude for 'funk'. I have a few cross-processed negs kicking around, when I get the time I may play.

Try scanning in colour.  And then up the saturation!

Thanks a lot Photographis.  I will certainly try this . May I ask you for more help ? When I  scan slides I make color corrections and add some saturation. I am not sure if I should add sharpness and if I should how high can I go?

Sharpnes is one of those things you need to treat with care. One of my pet hates is over sharpened digital prints, but I doubt you would go that far. But to answer your question, it really does depend on the image, a quick assessment scan should give you the answer. Which scanner and software combination are you using?

Hi Photographis

I tried to scan my cross E-6 to C-41 in color and the scanner wouldn't  pick up anything. So I put the roll through B/W scan then add +9 Saturation and  did some color corrections as well. The result not so great. What I got was kind of color cast and pale. The same applies to printing from the same roll which I tired. Is it really impossible to achieve these funky colors that I could have gotten by printing this roll in wet darkroom on enlarger ? As to the scanner/software combination I will get back to you later.

Before you can successfully cross process, it is important that the film has been exposed correctly. I have some examples of some Fuji (Sensia, I think?) slide film which has been cross processed, which I will get together in some sort of order and email to you. Scanned as a colour negative (which after cross processing it is) I get a perfectly recognisable image, if a little flat. Scanned as a positive, I have a very contrasty negative image which with a little adjustment gives some quite remarkable results. When you receive the files, have a play, it may help.

I have used an Epson V750 with the standard Epson software, with Siverfast (or similar dedicated scan software)  and a little more time you could probably scan straight to print.