Recurring lines on paper with part roll

smartcooky

I have a D701 drylab, and I have been having a problem with lines appearing on the paper once the roll gets to about 2/3 of the way though. It began to happen about 6 months ago with just the last few prints on a roll, and has gradually got worse until it begins to happen with a lot of paper left.

DSCF5028.JPG

This is the amount of paper left when I start having problems

1. Every time I load this roll (or a roll with about this much paper left), the lines start appearing on the prints.

2. I pull the part-roll, load a new roll, do a nozzle check and I can see missing segments and ink marks on the paper.

3. Do a head clean and it fixes it. It prints fine with the new roll in

4. I pull the new roll and reload the part-roll and the lines start from the very first first print.

Also note:

1. Head cleaning with a part roll doesn't work. Afters several head cleans, the test print still has segments missing. I have to use a new roll to do the head clean, and when I do, it works straight away..

2, This problem occur mostly with Glossy paper, but it does happen with SemiGloss paper too, however, its only when there is very little paper (about a dozen or so prints) left on the roll. Its much worse with glossy.

3. I can see when the machine accepts the freshly loaded part roll, that the paper is slightly "bowed up". The leading edge is in contact with the platen, then about 50mm of paper back from the leading edge "bows up" from the platen by about a millimetre.

By about 80mm back from the leading edge, the paper is back in contact with the platen. The "bow" appears to flatten out when it passes under the head, but when the head retracts, I can see that it is still bowed up slightly as the paper retracts back to the magazine.

This "bowing up" does NOT seem to happen with a new roll.

To me, this look suspiciously like weak vacuum, the paper is not being held flat on the platen surface. I have cleaned the platen but it makes no difference.

Anyone have any ideas about this

Here are some samples (a nozzle check and prints showing the lines)

Marks-Lines-1.jpg

Marks-Lines-2.jpg

Marks-Lines-3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK Your nozzle check print shows ink smudges (not uncommon) A big problem with these machines is paper absorbing moisture. All new rolls come in a poly bag and is advisable to put it back in the bag if you are not going to use it quickly. Noritsu supply a sealable box like a tupperware box but this should be classed as a temporary place to put a roll when switching sizes. Paper like 8 and 10inch I would always bag up as you wont use it as much.

Basically pull off 6 to 8 foot off the role and lay it on a flat surface. You often see wavy edges repeated along the paper. Your print head is hitting these raised sections and it will often catch a print and rip it or at the least smudge ink. it looks like your head is getting blocked holes that once clean are fine till it happens again. This is the biggest reasons for print heads getting damaged, it will rip the foil of the underside of the head and leave you with a big bill.

OK Your nozzle check print shows ink smudges (not uncommon) A big problem with these machines is paper absorbing moisture. All new rolls come in a poly bag and is advisable to put it back in the bag if you are not going to use it quickly. Noritsu supply a sealable box like a tupperware box but this should be classed as a temporary place to put a roll when switching sizes. Paper like 8 and 10inch I would always bag up as you wont use it as much.

Basically pull off 6 to 8 foot off the role and lay it on a flat surface. You often see wavy edges repeated along the paper. Your print head is hitting these raised sections and it will often catch a print and rip it or at the least smudge ink. it looks like your head is getting blocked holes that once clean are fine till it happens again. This is the biggest reasons for print heads getting damaged, it will rip the foil of the underside of the head and leave you with a big bill.

Hello, and thank you for your reply

I bought this machine in the summer (in NZ thats Oct to Feb). The issue started in about April (Fall) and is has got steadily worse, so your remarks about moisture being the culprit ring true. Perhaps it will get better as we go back into summer.

I only use 6 in paper and 10 in paper and I do not replace the paper rolls into the bags because they wont fit when on the spindles. In order to replace the paper in the bags, I would need to "despindle" the paper every time, a real pain in the a** way to operate, as well as the risk of damaging the edges of the paper and creating more problems.

What I have taken to doing is rolling the last 1/4 of a roll "inside out", leaving it for a few days and then unrolling it back over the replacement roll. Haven't had a jam since I started doing this. I may investigate the cost of getting the plastic boxes you describe... I'll bet they are expensive!

However, I am still suspicious of the vacuum. Do you know how the vacuum that keeps the paper flat on the platen is generated?