QSS 2701/MP-1600 Error 9299-06

Frost

Anyone know anything about this error number on MP-1600's?  Two of ours have gone down to this error and it's not mentioned anywhere in the service manual.  The error actually shows up during uniformity reading; after scanning, when it usually returns "Good" or "No", it gives "Error" and a very unhelpful message for diagnosing the problem.  When looking through the error log, these show up as a 9299-06 error, and selecting it shows a screen about like so:

Error
9299-06
Uniformity error
      302           ##

We've seen the "##" at the end be anything from 20 to 26, most commonly 22 or 25.

We've asked Noritsu for help (short of sending someone out; the tech they usually send us isn't really worth just a whole lot unless we want a specific operation done with expensive, sensitive parts that they would be liable for), but so far their suggestions haven't gotten us anywhere. They apparently don't have this error anywhere in their documentation either.

In attempts to diagnose via treatment, we've done the following:

• Trade out scanner (tried 3 different scanners)
  • Trade out PC (tried 3 different PCs)
  • Trade out scanner to PC SCSI cable (tried 3 different cables)
  • Everything listed in the service manual page about uniformity errors
  • Trade out Ethernet cable between PC and printer (Noritsu's suggestion)
  • Trade out LVDS cable between PC and printer (Noritsu's suggestion)

So far, nothing has made a difference, but we've at least narrowed it down to a problem within the printer itself.

Our next step on our own will be to start swapping out boards in the printer, but we'd prefer to have some more information before we start that. Can anyone tell me which boards are involved in the uniformity process and/or which one(s) are most likely to be the culprit?

Thanks in advance! :)

Have you tried doing the Load Voltage Setup?

How is the uniformity after the load voltage setup?

Like you say the service manual does not list this error, my guess is the corrections are too large for the machine to perform.

What does the actual uniformity print look like in terms of it's uniformity?

I'm having a hard time trying to truthfully answer your questions without leaving something out, so I'll try to give the stories of the two now-dead printers and answer your questions as I go.

The first one, if I remember correctly, just started having the error during daily setup out of the blue sometime around the middle of last year. Just one random failure every now and then, then gradually up to one failure a day, eventually up to the point where the lady who does daily setup every morning refused to fight the thing anymore as it would only properly read about once out of every 10 tries on the same set of prints, which looked almost good enough to do production with, but not quite up to our standards.  At that point we did all of the things I mentioned in the opening post, to no avail. According to my records, it last had an MLVA Setup done in April of '09, and last had a new bulb in February of '11. We would have done a Load Voltage Setup as part of our MLVA Setup routine back in '09, but it wouldn't have been done since then.  Also, I'm not sure if it would have succeeded back then, as that printer often gives 9016-01 Radiation of Light errors on Focus Checks or Load Voltage Setups.  At this point, that printer has been drained and will only be brought back up again if our production increases to the point that we need really it and can make it work.

The second printer just died last week. It seems to have had a much quicker descent than the first, but happened in about the same way; it started having random failures on Daily Setup uniformity readings a couple months ago, but was still usable and the prints themselves never looked bad enough to be suspect.  Last Wednesday that printer was slated to be switched to the new paper Kodak switched us to, so I started our usual MLVA Setup routine: Data Initialization (everything but Printer-Processor Data), Focus Check (mostly to decide whether to bother with waiting through Calibrator Uniformity later on), Load Voltage (at least once), MLVA Setup, Emulsion Number Change on all papers.  This process is often preceded by installing a new bulb, but the one in it wasn't deemed old enough (chronologically or hours of usage) to replace.  It failed the Focus Check with a 9016-01 error, but did claim to have completed Load Voltage Setup.  Chose my MLVA numbers, skipped Calibrator Uniformity (as it would take 20 minutes and most likely fail anyway), and started in on flatbed uniformity after the first Gamma.  The first (and worst) two sets read just fine. The third set failed a few times before finally reading correctly, and the fourth failed several times before eventually reading.  The fifth was eventually skipped just to see if a new set of prints would do any better, and the sixth failed for long enough that we gave up on it until we figure something out.

So, to answer your questions, qualified by the stories above:

• Yes, we've done Load Voltage Setup (though not in the midst of normal usage, only as part of a head setup)
  • Bad, but only because of the Data Initialization we do before MLVA Setup (and thus Load Voltage Setup) :P
  • Very, very nearly production quality, but just a faint line or shadow somewhere that puts it below our standards

My own answer here is making me think there must be some underlying problem causing the 9016-01 errors and such, but the fact that both printers had been working fine under the same conditions for quite some time makes me think said problem may be unrelated.

Anyhow, thanks for your attention! Hopefully I can answer any other questions without another wall of text...

It's difficult to give you an exact answer as to what is causing the problem.

A good place to start is fitting a new lamp and good clean of the lamp house section, integrator, and a clean of the calibrator.

The poorer the light source the more struggling you will have to do the uniformity.

Lamp usage hours are not always that accurate, for example if the machine gets shut off at the breaker for any reason with the lamp still on this will greatly shorten it's life as it will not have the fan blowing on it to cool it down, so the filament melts and distorts.

Other causes of uniformity issues can be due to a problem with the hard drives on the MP-1600. Check the drives for bad sectors etc.

The problem is these machines are really getting old now, and to be honest even when they were new they were always problematic. I know that doesn't help you very much to hear that!

It's difficult to give you an exact answer as to what is causing the problem.

I certainly understand that! :)

A good place to start is fitting a new lamp and good clean of the lamp house section, integrator, and a clean of the calibrator.

The poorer the light source the more struggling you will have to do the uniformity.

Good advice, we'll give that a try. I'm afraid one or both of these printers may be ones that we've noticed the end of the fiber bundle from the MLVA head being burned/bubbled/uneven/otherwise not quite how it should be. Do you know any tricks for trying to clean up the end of that bundle if that's the case?

Lamp usage hours are not always that accurate, for example if the machine gets shut off at the breaker for any reason with the lamp still on this will greatly shorten it's life as it will not have the fan blowing on it to cool it down, so the filament melts and distorts.

Good point.  I don't think either one has ever been allowed to let the lamp cool completely without fans, unless we were already planning to change the bulb.  But I can't guarantee that, and I hadn't made that connection before.  I'll be keeping this in mind in future.

Other causes of uniformity issues can be due to a problem with the hard drives on the MP-1600. Check the drives for bad sectors etc.

Disk drive, flash drive, or both?  Tangentially, do you have any advice for formatting new drives or successfully copying an old drive to a new drive (for replacement without having to re-install the system software)? We've had several MP hard drives die in recent years, and we're running out of spares!

The problem is these machines are really getting old now, and to be honest even when they were new they were always problematic. I know that doesn't help you very much to hear that!

I agree! But as I'm just the lowly junior maintenance tech and not the guy who signs the checks around here, I don't have a whole lot of say in the matter and just get to deal with it ;). Personally, I'd like to trade about 10 MPs for a trio of 37 quads and get more work done at higher quality with less hassle...

Good advice, we'll give that a try. I'm afraid one or both of these printers may be ones that we've noticed the end of the fiber bundle from the MLVA head being burned/bubbled/uneven/otherwise not quite how it should be. Do you know any tricks for trying to clean up the end of that bundle if that's the case?

You probably could use a needle file to file off all the burn brown bits.

Then I would use 600 grade wet & dry sand paper followed by 1500 grade Wet & dry sand paper used wet. Then polish using car paint work cutting compound/ polish until it looks clear again!

Disk drive, flash drive, or both?  Tangentially, do you have any advice for formatting new drives or successfully copying an old drive to a new drive (for replacement without having to re-install the system software)? We've had several MP hard drives die in recent years, and we're running out of spares!

You can just clone the drives using Norton Ghost 2003.

I would check both drives for bad blocks etc.

I can't remember which drives does what, it's been so long since I worked on a MP-1600 now.

Providing your MP-1600's are all on the same software version the clone should work without needing to re-load the software again. Just the backup data for that particular machine will need to be loaded.

I agree! But as I'm just the lowly junior maintenance tech and not the guy who signs the checks around here, I don't have a whole lot of say in the matter and just get to deal with it ;). Personally, I'd like to trade about 10 MPs for a trio of 37 quads and get more work done at higher quality with less hassle...

Good luck with trying to get that!

Seriously though it's going to get increasing hard to get spare parts for the MP-1600, I'm pretty sure Noritsu has stopped making the parts for them by now.