Banding on prints:  3202 Pro (Picture inside)

Skymx99

At our lab we have a Noritsu 3202 with roughly 615,000 prints on it.  We recently have been getting these banding lines.  The lines come and go.  We can print fine for a day and then all of a sudden the lines show up.  If we stop for awhile and try to print again it will run fine for 300-400 prints or so.  We have had Noritsu techs here twice and they can't seem to figure out the problem.  I have attached a scanned photo of what the lines look like.  It's not typical banding lines.  If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

PrintTest.jpg

I am assuming these lines are parallel to the direction of paper travel. Since these lines appear even on the white portion of the paper, I would suspect dirty or deteriorated rollers somewhere in the processor section. Clean all rollers, especially in the CD and BF sections.

If these lines are perpendicular to the paper travel then it might be an AOM driver problem.

This looks to be more like noise or something array in the laser section. AOM driver or the laser unit.

Banding issues caused by mechanical problems in the pre and exposure advance units are usually more defined as  lines  near the leading or trailing edge, and in the other direction!

One wouldn't expect a mechanical banding issue with a print count of 600,000. We have just replaced our "gritty" rollers and advance unit on our QSS31-Pro Turbo (very expen$$$ive)which did exhibit banding. Our print count is 4.8 million.

I'd also say the issue is more likely to be laser related rather than exposure advance related.

Exposure advance problems tends to give light and dark bands.

My guess would be a faulty green AOM (driver) signal processor as the lines look green and magenta.

Thanks for all your suggestions.  Noritsu is here right now running some laser diagnostics.  I will update with what he finds out later.

Unfortunately, laser check won't help you since it is a mechanical problem in Exposure Advance Unit. We eliminated such problem at several our clients.

It is necessary to replace pulley A095917-01. Also it is possible any way to eliminate bearing H001298-00 backlash on it pulley (it can be makeshift solution).

Pay attention that replacement pulley A095917-01 is very difficult mechanical operation which can't be executed by means of a screw-driver and strong hands.

Noritsu was back again...

They have ruled out a mechanical issue, because the "banding" isn't technically banding.  They believe it has something to do with electrical interference.  He said the it seems like the acoustic optical modulator isn't sending a steady frequency (I think that is right).

I will get the print soon.  We started up the printer this morning and our first prints after the daily set up had lines.  After being idle for 5-10 minutes we printed a few more prints and the lines are gone.  This is why Noritsu can't diagnose the problem, it isn't steady.  The lines come and go at random times.

Besides the obvious both inner and outer belt wear issues on the exposure advance unti.  Entire unit should be dropped to the floor and printer and processor should be seperated.  Printer then should be releveled and processor and attached and releveled.  If entire machine is dropped to the floor and releveled there maybe stress between the printer and processor  which keeps it from leveling correctly.  The main symptom of the machine not being level and not solid to the floor is random banding, if you have distinct banding such as 25-30mm from from the rear or front of print this related to the exposure advance unit.  If noritsu changes out the exposure advance unit and has the same banding then it is probably related to vibration related not being level or not sitting tight to the floor.  

Several individuals are correct laser diagnostics might say an AOM is defective, AOM's seldom create banding, lasers seldom create banding.   Exposure advance unit must be check thoroughly, paper advance units 1 and 2 must be correct when they our put on the pins, there should be smoth operation, no hard rubbing on pins when everything is put together.  Also make sure to read earlier reply on level.

We had the same problem, turned out to be the blue laser AOM module.

Drove us nuts for months as the fault was sporadic. Fortunately the machine was still under warranty so there was a lot of effort put into resolving the issue. The only other thing we've had done since was the replacement of the stainless steel guide in the dryer to stop 4" prints jamming (Noritsu sent a service letter and a rippled plate to replace the smooth one).