QSS 3201 WINDOWS Halt at startup

johncord

You should have at least one marked PC### rs Nrt or something like this depending on your version of PC, should have a label on the front near the zip drive or FD. Reboot with the CD in and set the bios to boot from CD, try delete or F2 when booting. That will reload windows, disconnect any USB devises first or windows will load drivers. That gets you back to Windows then load your system software whatever version you have, Profile software and any Flat bed scanner software, drivers, option software, and Daily Backup Hope you have one...

Don't forget you will loose everything on the hard drive, it may be damaged so for the price of a new drive I would fit one and save your old one, you may be able to get into it as a slave device and salvage any important files, just a thought

windows will see some Noritsu PCB's and will try to load drivers say no and when you load the noritsu software and reboot it will load the correct ones. If its loaded drivers have a look in device manager for anything with an yellow flag and delete. every time you reboot it will say found new device, say no to loading drivers till you have the Noritsu software loaded then it will be OK

I installed  5.02S version...& profile  Data and NOW at start up an error shows up " INITIAL SETUP NOT SET " ...I HAVE 4 Diskettes from 1 to 4 should I install these also  (they came with  older version  System Program4.03) Not only that ,otherwise it would have been easier even my backup cd seems to be corrupted!

you need your back up loading the older version should not make a difference as its the same when you upgrade. If you backup is corrupted or the floppy's wont load you will have to run initial set up and mag registration again. thats why I asked if you had a back up. The newer software will let you back up onto other devises or even across the network.

Unfortunately your backup also contains other settings, channel list and some printer corrections, Printer mechanical settings, without a backup you have done all you can. When you get it going and you are happy do a backup, you should be able to select, in reading and writing data, a place to back up to, use any other drive other than C, compact archive or a USB drive plugged in the back. saves a lot of grief. Well done

Johncord, good job.  

As Magenta says, do the backups, and when everything is "GOOD", do a Service Mode Full Backup (all data) and copy it to a network shared drive.  This will save you a lot of time.

For us, after every medium/major change to our Noritsu, we do this and have them archived on our NAS, as well as a monthly archive of the backup diskettes.

Hello. When you see WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEMced that means system hive has error . Usualy system file in C:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/ ( file name : system; without extention ) is larger than 10mb.  Windows 2000 cant read this file when size is 10mb or more. You can make file "system" backup when minnilab is working ( you can backup it in DOS mode only). If you have this file backup you can copy it to C:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/. If you have not this file backup you can copy "system" file from "REPAIR" folder ( C:/WINNT/REPAIR ) :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269075/en-us

After that first time start in safe mode ( press F8 on startup and select " safe mode"

Now I can tell the re reason why "system" file becomes larger than 10mb. The reason is USB keys : when you connect new USB key you see message ' found new hardware". At the same time USB key type is written to hive and file "system" becomes larger. After 200-300 new USB keys file "system" becomes 10mb and Windows 2000 doesn't see it on startup.When you use the same USB key  many times the " system" file will not becomes bigger, because USB key type will be written to the hive  only once ( first time when you connect new USB key ).

So do not use many different types USB keys with Windows 2000.

If it not possible - backup "system" file until Windows is working, or make C disk backup with Acronis true image, Norton ghost or other clonning software.

Hi.Of course your operation system will not start in service mode if your " system " file is more than 10mb. I wrote the first boot yor computer from  CD ( not from Hard disc ). On cd must be some commander  ( for example Volkov commander ). Than copy "system" file from C:/WINNT/REPAIR to C:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/.Of course you can boot your computer using windows 2000 or Windows XP instillation disc, select "repair" mode and than copy file "system"  from C:/WINNT/REPAIR to C:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/ using comand line, but with commander is more easy to do it. When you will copy "system" file reboot computer and select Safe mode on the startup ( use F8 key ) .When computer will start Windows 2000 in safe mode it will install all missing drivers ( they are missing in "system " file which is  in " REPAIR" folder). After that restart your computer and Windows 2000 will start.

Sometimes "system" file is corrupted in " REPAIR" folder then windows 2000 will not start in safe mode too. In this case you can connect other hard disc and instal Windows 2000 using recovery CD. Than you can copy "system" file ( and other corrupted Windows files )  from new hard disc to old one. I had WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEMced many times at my clients and allways corrupted Windows started.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello. When you see WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEMced that means system hive has error . Usualy system file in C:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/ ( file name : system; without extention ) is larger than 10mb.  Windows 2000 cant read this file when size is 10mb or more. You can make file "system" backup when minnilab is working ( you can backup it in DOS mode only). If you have this file backup you can copy it to C:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/. If you have not this file backup you can copy "system" file from "REPAIR" folder ( C:/WINNT/REPAIR ) :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269075/en-us

After that first time start in safe mode ( press F8 on startup and select " safe mode"

Now I can tell the re reason why "system" file becomes larger than 10mb. The reason is USB keys : when you connect new USB key you see message ' found new hardware". At the same time USB key type is written to hive and file "system" becomes larger. After 200-300 new USB keys file "system" becomes 10mb and Windows 2000 doesn't see it on startup.When you use the same USB key  many times the " system" file will not becomes bigger, because USB key type will be written to the hive  only once ( first time when you connect new USB key ).

So do not use many different types USB keys with Windows 2000.

If it not possible - backup "system" file until Windows is working, or make C disk backup with Acronis true image, Norton ghost or other clonning software.

You are are he man!

I took the drive out and slaved it on a Windows XP system.

When I looked the SYSTEM file is was 10.3mb, I copied the SYSTEM file from the REPAIR folder which was less then 4mb in size and Windows 2000 started again.

On startup with new SYSTEM file, Windows made me go through all the initial Windows Setup. I needed to re-install the drivers. When I opened Fuji FOTOKIOSK 4.7-144 it will only start in DEMO mode, the new registry I replaced I guess doesn't have the activation key.

I had some time on my hands so I decided to investigate how to remove the build up of USB entries from my 10mb+ hive/registry/system file. After 18 hours I found alot out about the windows hive but was NOT successful in being able to reduce the size of the hive.

It is possible to reduce the size and remove unused USB devices from a working Windows 2000 eg before it gets to 10mb. These two programs are best http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH39194 and http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html.

If you want to load your 10mb+ registry/hive slave your hard drive in a WinXP computer open up the Registry Editor (Start>Run>cmd>regedit) click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then File>Load Hive browser your slave drive WINNT>system32>config and open the SYSTEM file. It will ask you to give it a name, call it MYBIGREG. The 10mb+ reg should now be loaded under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as MYBIGREG.

Also worth noting was that the RegistrySizeLimit can be adjusted in the Registry Editor to maximum on the 10mb+ hive but as it works as a % of the Pagefilesize registry entry which in turn is effect (i think by the installed RAM) and I only have 512mb so even though I set the RegistrySizeLimit to expand to largest possible eg hoping Windows would allocate more than 10.3mb so my windows would start. It didn't happen and Windows 2000 still no start.

After a whole long day spent at least I know now. I will make sure that I cleanup my other terminals from time to time to stop this happening again.

I hope this helps someone.