dirty prints

SteveC

I have dirty prints from my Noritsu 3011. It is real heavy for the first 2 1/2 inches of the first print to come out after the machine has set a few minutes. The dirty pattern matches the grooves in the rollers/crossovers. I have cleaned everything thoroughly, I soak the crossovers at night. The dirty stuff cleans off with warm water. I have dumped and changed the stabilizers and bleach/fix. I am using Kodak RA4 prime developer, Champion Bl/Fx and stabilizer. ?????????

This problem can be caused by algae.

What happens is the algae grows back after you’ve cleaned everything.

First try soaking crossovers 3-6 in a bucket of water overnight with some household bleach added, this should kill the algae. Thoroughly rinse the crossovers in clean water afterwards.

You may need to do the same for all the STB racks and tanks as well, particularly if they are very slimy.

You may want to try using Kodak STB instead; a lot of shops around London seem to have problems with the champion STB. Maybe something to do with the hard water.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does sound like Algae, although dirty dev will give very similar results. Fuji Hunt do an Anti-Algae additive, they cannot be alone, but it has been suggested to me that there are similar products for swimming pools and tanks. Personaly not knowing enough about the chemistry involved I haven't experimented, but if you can't get hold of the 'proprietry' Algae treatment it may be worth checking out, Tetenal are usualy quite helpfull in this area. Having had this problem in the past I tend to give the tanks/racks/anything that stays still long enough a good scrub down with a hot strong household bleach solution, and a good rinse off.

• 1 year later...

I have had the same problem a few weeks ago.

What you do is take the developer crossover out and turn the gears on the side.

Then turn the gears from the bleach crossover. If your gears from the developer is heavier than the bleach crossover, it means that the rollers have expanded. This means that, when prints come out, it will get dirty because of the rollers.

All you need to do is replace all the rollers in the developer crossover. If you want you can also change the gears and the washers.

After you have replaced them, you will notice that the gears turn really smoothly. This is because the rollers aren't rubbing against each other any more.

good luck.

I HAD THE SAme problem last week and I WAS TOLD TO CHANGE THE PUMPOUT PUT BY 4

LETS SAY YOU HAVE THE CD PUMP OUT PUT TO 58 CHANGE IT TO 54

AND VOILA MINE IS FINE NOW

SOMETIMES I DONT PRINT MUCH IN A DAY AND THE CD IS TOO HIGH

TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW

MY PROBLEM WAS SOLVED GIVE IT ABOUT A DAY OR 2 AND YOU WILL SEE

I START UP MY MACHIINE IN THE MORNING AND ITS OK

• 3 months later...

Called a Noritsu tech today about similar issue. He reminded us to clean the bottom belt area of the rack, even dismantling to get to it if necessary, since solids tend to settle at the bottom of the tank/rack. Problem is usually in the stabilizers, particularly the first stabilizer. The settled solids get stirred up when printing larger batch, so that's why the problem seemed to improve. The problem returns when the solids resettle. Makes sense, going to try it tonight.