Noritsu Reliability ?

With much talk about the reliability of Noritsu equipment, I have started this thread for you to share your experience.

So lets hear and share your thoughts, on how reliable components and the such are...

One thing that does concern me, and it has now come up a number of times, is the AOM's they are expensive, and seem to have a very limited life span.. a duff part, from where I see things?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i think noritsu has a great durability, but years after years the machine became complicated. Compare to Fuji's minilabs, noritsu have more pcb's. Until today we operate 2 noritsu 1912D, 2 Fuji SFA 25

When I started in the business Noritsu had an immaculate reputation for customer support and quality equipment. It saddens me that I have seen that reputation crumble over that last 20 years.

20 years ago (if the web had been here) we would NEVER have seen a thread like this... Noritsu reliability PST! No question, the fact that there is a thread speaks volumes dont it?

Never been concerned of Noritsu reliability while we had 2901 only. 'course we had to replace little parts like plastic gears etc. But since we've got two 33ds and 3201, that issue bothers me more and more. Espesialy after laser unit had to be replaced after two month!!! waiting for it. And ofcourse!!! several AOMs to be replaced.

After spending 5 years in a legal situation with Noritsu over equipment that didn't work properly, I can say that the reliability of Noritsu's word as well as their equipment leaves much to be desired.  And, yes, I did win the case against Noritsu.  In fact, the case cost Noritsu mega bucks.  Maybe if other people would take a stand against Noritsu, Noritsu would wake up and decide that they should do the right thing and take care of their equipment problems.  Believe me, in my opinion, as well as in paperwork that I have seen, Noritsu knows that their equipment has problems.  

in my own humble opinion, I think that as the market has changed, and labs have somewhat comedown in price the long term life and quality for components has suffered. If you take the issues with the AOM's as an example, this is not a local, but a worldwide issue.

The one thing that this forum has done is to flag up and illustrate such things, and thank you to each one of you that have taken the time and trouble to register, here on the forums.

I am very disappointed to hear, that (in the UK) Noritsu no longer wish to have long term maintenance contracts, from how I see this, it is a confession that the labs and equipment supplied to-day, will not last much after 5 years.

For a small business to invest many

in my own humble opinion, I think that as the market has changed, and labs have somewhat comedown in price the long term life and quality for components has suffered. If you take the issues with the AOM's as an example, this is not a local, but a worldwide issue.

The one thing that this forum has done is to flag up and illustrate such things, and thank you to each one of you that have taken the time and trouble to register, here on the forums.

I am very disappointed to hear, that (in the UK) Noritsu no longer wish to have long term maintenance contracts, from how I see this, it is a confession that the labs and equipment supplied to-day, will not last much after 5 years.

For a small business to invest many

I have not and never have been a noritsu user however my belief is that the whole photo processing industry has been so much undermined by the supermarkets and other large operaters selling at little above cost price that in order to make any money, investment in equipment has to be kept to a fraction of the old days. Whether noritsu are right or wrong they are probably in the same boat as the rest of us, trying to earn a decent return on their investment. Unless there is an increase  in the retail price of photo processing, which we all know is'nt going to happen, then quality and quality of service is bound to suffer.

Happy New Year!

The point about the industry is correct. As the industry has contracted, prices have fallen and this has killed demand for second hand equipment bought at the earlier, higher prices. And how many of us have "rolled their outstanding finance" when taking out a new machine in the past? How do you feel now about having needlessly inflated monthly payments to make?

The industry has changed, we are all trying to make a buckand so are the manufacturers.

Gone are the days of machines like the QSS-1001/1201 etc which after install you never saw a technician ever again, because they never went wrong!

The only reason people with these machines upgraded was because of the invention of APS, and then followed by digital; otherwise these machines would still be running to this day!

But today

At the end of this month we will have a total of 4 digital machines installed.  We have 2 3302 Pros, 1 single and 1 dual.  We also have 2 34 Pro Triples.  

We have had wonderful experiences with Noritsu America, and service reps in CA to be more exact.  One of our 33's had the AOM's replaced under warranty, however we haven't had any other issues with any of the machines other than that.  Each machine averages 2 million prints per  year.

We are adding another large forma machine a Durst 76, after speaking to many owners of the 24" Noritsu we went with the Durst due to many complaints on the 24".  They ranged from software, to processor quality to sharpness of prints.

Noritsu is doing something right with their machines seeing that FujiFilm will now have all Frontiers share their designs and manufacturing with our QSS models.

• 2 weeks later...

I run two 2611's, when they run they are wonderfull. And they do, I had a densitometer pack up on me, but it was the original. Even with a dead pcb, and running only on emulsion changes the machine runs beautifully. I need afew new rollers,

and the sorter is broken, but the machine works. It's 10 years old and has been very well used, and at times abused.

I bought another one.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Phil... the time to worry, is when you come to upgrade ;) Yup Noritsu Kit, is sound... thats how they have such a good reputaion... But try the kit now in 2008 (New Machines) The <huge> worry for any independent when they purchase new kit, is how reliable, and what back up will be available. Look at the AOM problem, and also that Noritsu will now NOT be offering maintenance packages for kit over 5 years...

Grim?

hi

For 6 months I have problem in the 3001 minilab noritsu

it constantly removes from me error the 6820-16393 image processing PCB error

I cannot him find from where him it presents also my it complicates

my work

I request you you help with  

Talking of Noritsu reliability, I have an ancient 2ZB paper processor that, on a good day, still works beautifully making prints for my greetings cards and other work. Closed my mini lab a while back because I have never really embraced digital like I should, don`t like computers much. However, I have a warning message - Cutter Abnormal. Have stripped cutter down, checked all connections, cleaned all sensors, even tried a second cutter with same result, suggesting problem between circuit board and cutter. Before I replace PCB ( I have a apare )

anyone out there old enough to remember these lovely old workhorses able to give me any more ideas what to do next?  :-/

If people only knew how Noritsu rates problems with their equipment.  It took a lawsuit and looking at paperwork from Noritsu to learn that Noritsu has a way of rating problems with equipment.  Some are rated very highly and some are rated lower.  In my opinion, Noritsu has always known about a lot of the problems; but have put equipment out there hoping nothing will happen.  Some people are lucky, they can get equipment and nothing goes wrong.  Someone else can get the same piece of equipment and immediately have a problem.  In my opinion, and after having read the paperwork Noritsu furnished me, Noritsu knows this and that is why the newer equipment is so expensive.  Noritsu has to make money somehow; even if it means a problem for the small labs.  Noritsu is responsible for all parts for their equipment, even if someone else makes some of the parts.  The bottom line is if parts are not reliable, change suppliers.  Will try to look for some of the paperwork so that I may be able to share with anyone who wants a look.

Hello,

I am using Noritsu machines since 1986 starting with QSS801, if my memory is good.I have no or little experience with other brands.

What i feel is that the reliability problem what we taking about is not with a company like Noritsu ,It is with the reliability of the new technology (Digital) we are all trying to embrace, the laser exposing system,even the AOM problem does exist with Fuji Frontier Systems, I heard.

We are all, including Noritsu are trying to transend (or is it ,adopt) from one well established optical exposure system to laser exposure system, as the basic input source has changed from film to digital files.And unfortunately we are in the midst of it so paying more $$$ and getting little reliability till the technology matures.

Noritsu, is clever enough to pass on some of (or is it ,full) its burden to us, the lab owners. and we are not clever enough to pass on some of the the extra burden to our customers and weakening our back bones in the process.

AjantaKVS

Talking to a friend, he tells me that Fuji here in the UK offer a 5 year warranty on lasers. There is nothing on their website and nobody else I have spoken to knows about it. Has any member heard this?

I also hear that the time will soon be arriving when Noritsu will take on the servicing the new Fuji minilabs that are being built by Noritsu. Again -any whispers out there? Do CMS know this already?

• 2 weeks later...

plese forgive me for my english

I run my lab in india  presenty i am using Konika equipment. I had never used any noritsu equip. before.

I am planing to buy a used noritsu 3202 but i am surprised to know that noritsu India dose not provide any service(even paid) or SPAREs to machines not sold through them is the case same in other parts of world.

The condition of photofinising industry in india is becoming worst day by day. Most of labs in india depend in reconditioned/used machines due to high import duty structure in india and high depriciation of new equipment.

I can't understand why noritsu India is not providing spares for noritsu machine sold not through them.

• 4 weeks later...
hi

For 6 months I have problem in the 3001 minilab noritsu

it constantly removes from me error the 6820-16393 image processing PCB error

I cannot him find from where him it presents also my it complicates

my work

I request you you help with  

it can be memory in image processing PCB , or can be Laser Unit , R laser can not initialize ...

can you work after restarting power  ?

how often happen ?

best regards

Hello,

I am using Noritsu machines since 1986 starting with QSS801, if my memory is good.I have no or little experience with other brands.

What i feel is that the reliability problem what we taking about is not with a company like Noritsu ,It is with the reliability of the new technology (Digital) we are all trying to embrace, the laser exposing system,even the AOM problem does exist with Fuji Frontier Systems, I heard.

AND FUJI HAVE PROBLEMS WITH LASER UNITS ,BUT THEY ARE SMART AND SOLVE PROBLEMS CHEEPER

for sure I know that in the moment in EX-Yugoslav countryes in last month they are change 4-5 units  

We are all, including Noritsu are trying to transend (or is it ,adopt) from one well established optical exposure system to laser exposure system, as the basic input source has changed from film to digital files.And unfortunately we are in the midst of it so paying more $$$ and getting little reliability till the technology matures.

Noritsu, is clever enough to pass on some of (or is it ,full) its burden to us, the lab owners. and we are not clever enough to pass on some of the the extra burden to our customers and weakening our back bones in the process.

AjantaKVS

Talking to a friend, he tells me that Fuji here in the UK offer a 5 year warranty on lasers. There is nothing on their website and nobody else I have spoken to knows about it. Has any member heard this?

I also hear that the time will soon be arriving when Noritsu will take on the servicing the new Fuji minilabs that are being built by Noritsu. Again -any whispers out there? Do CMS know this already?

yes its trught

Noritsu 3501Plus is Frontier 7100  and Noritsu 37 is frontier 760

http://www.cameratown.com/news/news.cfm/hurl/id%7C3751

http://www.noritsu.co.jp/english/news/20070306_1.html

• 3 weeks later...

i think noritsu has a great durability, but years after years the machine became complicated. Compare to Fuji's minilabs, noritsu have more pcb's. Until today we operate 2 noritsu 1912D, 2 Fuji SFA 258 both with digital carrier, 1 Noritsu 3501 laser, and 1 frontier 340 laser. As long the room condition is cool, both brands (noritsu or fuji) have similar durability. but with my experience problems with fuji is more easy to solve and cheaper.

best regard

purnomo setiawan

indonesia