2901 Color Issues

Big Dave

Hey all,

Not sure what is causing this, but flesh-tones on our prints are a bit "greenish".

Symptoms:

Our Noritsu 2901 was printing just fine on Saturday Morning, but 3 hours later, all prints (Digital & Film) started coming out yellowish & cyan-ish.  Flesh tones were a bit greenish.

We had changed NOTHING when this occurred.  To counter this, we did yellow -2 and magenta -2 and density -1 and it was better.

On Sunday morning, did MLVA Lamp Change (kept the same lamp), Monthly Setup and Daily Setup.  

Film is now printing just fine, and Digital Images are better, but not great, still has a cyan cast to the images and we do a yellow -1, magenta -2.

What's causing this, and what should I do to fix this ?

Any help appreciated.

Hi Kodak_service, No, I think the problem is that the monitor is about 9 years old, and getting dim.

I am currently looking for a decent flat panel CRT, but they are extremely hard to find, and very expensive.

I may just have to get a LCD and never do the monthly setup.

Wish me luck in finding another monitor      ;)

@ Dave ... I know that Eizo is a far from cheap suggestion, but they're the best in this line of business. The simple argument is this: Your don't change a monitor that often hence better get something that really works in terms of color and durability (thinking of the 9 year track-record of your old one).

Else go for the suggestion of Kodak_service :)

kodak_service, - yes thank you about the 3:4 ratio.

YEP, After doing some research, I'm finding that EIZO uses panels from many different manufacturers

( http://www.flatpanelshd.com/panels.php - search "EIZO" )

so I'm looking for a cheap new 17" NEC or Samsung monitor with a PVA panel, stay away from the "TN" panels.

Only issue I can think of is getting one that can handle 220v.

kodak_service, - yes thank you about the 3:4 ratio.

YEP, After doing some research, I'm finding that EIZO uses panels from many different manufacturers

( http://www.flatpanelshd.com/panels.php - search "EIZO" )

so I'm looking for a cheap new 17" NEC or Samsung monitor with a PVA panel, stay away from the "TN" panels.

Only issue I can think of is getting one that can handle 220v.

I'd say yes and no. It's the ability to show the real color that counts. Eizo though has a model where they can make the "promise" of what you see is what you get. Haven't checked up on this for a while, but they're top notch in general. As experienced users know and I count you as one of those it's all about how well the manufactor "controls" the panel in terms of electronics and "firmware" and here Eizo has always been providing very high quality.

As there's only a few big manufactors (max 5) of panels in the first place there's not a lot to choose from :)

The original Noritsu supplied Eizo CRT monitors were fantastic.

However the Eizo flatscreen monitors supplied by Noritsu on late 32 series etc were truly awful!

The colour and density changed hugely depending upon what angle you were looking at the screen.

If you printed standing up it looked different to if you printed sitting down. Hopeless!!

I'm sure (hope) their new screens are much better now. I'd suggest trying any monitor out in the shop before you buy it.

Maybe take a laptop down to the shop with some images on, plug the monitor into the laptop and see how they look.

Generally it took time to provide the same quality known from CRT's on flatpanels. Actually at start noone could provide that ... Eizo was first to do this though and that's king in the graphic-related industri. Eizo though shouldn't be blamed for bad choices of Noritsu though ;-)

When my noritsu was arrived, i replace supplied monitor Eizo LCD with Sony Trinitron CRT Monitor (yes it's monitor not tv), The Sony monitor have very good colour balance, it's very natural....Where i get this monitor??? Well i get it from Fujifilm Tech, he said that sony monitor used to be comes with new frontier 350/370 now if you purchase Frontier you will not get any monitor, you must buy by your self.