custom print size on qss 2921

godar

I use Qss2921 with Kodak software in my lab in the Kodak web site I found a producer to create custom print size for adding so I added 30x60 and 30x90 cm print size but after creation that sizes not working and no error message were found. What is the problem?  

I caNNOT SPEAK FOR THE 2901 BUT ON THE DLS 2721 IT WAS POSSIBLE TO MAKE PRINTS UP TO 24 INCHES LONG. 6 INCHES MORE THAN THE REGULAR NORITSU VERSION OF THAT PRINTER. i WOULD FIRST MAKE SURE OF YOUR TEMPLATE MAKING ABILITY BY CREATING A SMALLER TEMPLATE AND INSTALLING THAT ONE . iF IT WORKED THEN I WOULD PROGRESSIVELY MAKE TEMPLATES FROM 18 INCHES LONG TO 19 TO 20 TO 21 TO 22 TO 23 ETC.

fIRST THING TO CHECK THOUGH IS IF THEY ARE INSTALLING CORRECTLTY..THATS WHY I SUGGEST A SMALL ONE FIRST. IE A LITTLE 4X9 INCH OR SOMETHING SIMILAR.

THE DLS2721 ALSO HAD A COUPLE OF STEPS YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW VERY CAREFULLY TO MAKE SURE YOUR TEMPLATE INSTALLED, INCLUDING THE DELETION OF A FILE CALLED      PRODUCT.DAT  THAT MAKES A FILE THAT LIST ALL YOUR TEMPLATES SO THE DLS SOFTWARE CAN SEE THEM ON STARTUP.

yOU DON'T SAY WHAT PROGRAM YOU ARE USING TO MAKE THESE TEMPLATES THAT WOULD ALSO PLAY AN IMPORTANT PART. THE BEST ONE IS THE LODAK CTS TEMPLATE GENERATOR PLUGIN FOR PHOTOSHOP

The maximum length is probably 18 inches but I do know that the mp1600 which is what the dls2721 uses will only do 12x18 on a noritsu based system but will go to 12x24 on a kodak based system. I also have better luck with my templates when the paper used is on the back deck of the printer rather than the front deck.

On the 2721/mp1600 DLS software does allow for a longer print. It is pssible that this could be done on the 2901 as well. Only a carefull experiment will tell or the reports of someone who has tried.  

I put in the part about the actual template creation as it is quite a bit different than any other template method I have used. The xml base of it makes it very flexible but it also makes it completely unforgiving if there is a single error. If this is the first templates creted by the member for DLS there could be other things preventing them from working

I use Kodak Dls V3

I do some changes on Xml file that refer to the print size and make my custom size

below you can find more detail on what I did on xml files

Step 1:

Make sure the following folder exists: x:\product\layouts\custom. If necessary, create the folder.

Note: This folder holds all of your custom paper size templates. It is not included in system backups; you must back up your custom templates manually.

Step 2:

Perform the following steps to use one of the standard template files (.xml) as a guide to assist you in creating your custom template file:

A.     Open the x:\product\layouts\standard folder.

B.     Right-click on the closest matching existing template file.

C.     Select Copy.

D.     Open the x:\product\layouts\custom folder.

E.     Right click in the folder window.

F.     Select Paste.

G.     Right-click on the newly pasted file.

H.     Select Rename.

I.     Enter a unique descriptive filename (keep the .xml extension).

J.     Close all open windows.

Warning: Never edit a file in your Standard Folder. Only edit copies of files you have placed into your Custom Folder.

Step 3:

A.     Use Notepad to open your new file (in the x:\product\layouts\custom folder).

B.     If displayed, cancel the selection of Notepad to "always open with this application".

C.     Edit the necessary areas to create a template file for your custom print size. Width and height are given in inches; convert metric to inches.

D.     Use "Save" to save the new custom template file in the x:\product\layouts\custom folder. Do not use "Save As".

E.     Make sure the file appears in the custom folder with the '.xml' extension.

Step 4:

A.     Open the x:\product folder.

B.     Delete the product.dat file. This file will be recreated when you start the DLS System Software.

C.     Close all open windows.

Step 5:

A.     Launch the DLS System Software using Start > Programs.

B.     Select the Prejudge icon.

C.     In the Print Size window, scroll through the list of print choices to locate the new print size you created.

D.     If the print size is difficult to locate, reduce the number of choices displayed by "filtering":

a.     On the View menu, select Print Choice. The Print Choice dialog box appears.

b.     Make sure the Enable Print Choice Filtering box is selected.

c.     Select the Custom check box.

d.     Select the check mark at the bottom of the Print Choice dialog box to save your changes.

e.     In the Print Size window, scroll through the list of print choices to locate the print size you created.

This completes adding a custom print to the DLS. If you will be using this custom print size with the Digital Input Module, follow the additional steps below.

Step 6:

A.     Open the c:\program files\kodak\minilab folder.

B.     Double-click the printchoiceslist.txt. A Notepad window opens.

C.     In the appropriate position in the table, add configuration text for your new template.

Note: Entries are not automatically sorted.

D.     Increase the value of the number on Line 1 of the table to reflect the addition of your new template to the table.

E.     Save the file.

Note: This file is not saved in Unicode format.

Step 7:

A.     Open the x:\products folder.

B.     Open the description.txt file.

C.     Under the START_DLS_PRODUCT_DEFINITION section, add configuration text for your new template. Use the existing text as a guide.

D.     Save the file.

Note: This file is saved in Unicode format.

Step 8:

A.     Restart the DLS.

B.     Select the Digital Input Module.

C.     Enter an order.

D.     Verify that your custom print size appears in the print window.

Well if you have followed all those steps as they are indicated then I would have to assume that the dls2901 does stop at 18 inch advance. The ability to make longer than that on the dls2721 is completely unofficial and a bonus.

I have to beleive that it is not possible to do these larger sizes. Have you sucessfully made any templates with in the official parameters that have worked?

I also notice that there are 3 extra steps in your process that I have never done even after a couple of hundred templates.  I do the same up to step 4 and then I go to step 8. I have never done the other three. If I can figure out how to attache or post files I will put up my 12x24 template

I ahve hopefully attached my 12x24 template to this message. it is anXML file but I have changed the extension to DOC. just rename the extension and try it. I thought it was in several parts but then I remmbered it is a siple 1 part file. Do not open this in anything other than note pad or wordpad. Change the extension back before you do anything else. Good Luck

The paper travels down the front of the machine across the space where optical machines would have exposed the image and passes through the mlva head near the bottom front of the machine parrallel with the frame mof the door. There is a bout 12 inches of electronics in the front of the printer and the paper path is behind that.

#2 the name got changed when it was uploaded. the name should be just.....12x24.xml  

I don't know where that  _9695 came from it is not part of the name

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is the random number of the upload system.

The paper travels down the front of the machine across the space where optical machines would have exposed the image and passes through the mlva head near the bottom front of the machine parrallel with the frame mof the door. There is a bout 12 inches of electronics in the front of the printer and the paper path is behind that.

It looks to me that the distance from the MLVA head to the processer is indeed the reason you can't print anything longer than 45cm on the 29 series machines. The distance is clearly longer on the 27 series. On 29 series machines the MLVA head is just before the processer and on roughly the same level.