Confusion of how to set up scan size

bob100684

I've been working in labs for quite a while now, but suddenly After years and years of using fuji equipment, I'm thrown into a store with a qss3501F equipped with the S1-II scanner.  With the frontiers I worked on, setting the print size to 8x12 on some models, or 10x15 on 10" models would allow the highest possible resolution scans.  With the noritsu, I can choose between the different bases, and apparently there is a - trick, so I guess I could scan at about 2400x3600 pixels.  The confusion is, http://www.noritsu.co.jp/english/news/20050930.html there noritsu says I can scan at Maximum resolution4011 x 6048 pixels from 35mm full frame.  How do I go about setting up for this?

Hi,

When setting up your print channel and you ask it to save to HDD use base setting -  , this will scan in the neg at the highest possible res for that paper size. this may vary from paper width to paper width. As long as you have in the print channel wether it is 4". 6" or 8" a paper advance of 14" you will scan in at the highest res available. So if you have a 4x6 channel set up as long as you have in the pano settings a 4x12 the same will apply.

so if you are doing an 8x12 and you have your base setting to - , then you will be scanning in at the highest res availble.

Rgds

CK

no not at all. when setting up your print channel with base size that does no show base, 4base, 16base but show a dash - this will maximise your scanning res to your print size. so if your print size is 8x12 and you are set up  to with a dash setting you will be scanning in at 4000x6000.

You might like to refer to this spreadsheet as a guide as it pertains to QSS "base" settings etc. I created this about 7 years back for retail staff new to digital minlabs and  alien terminologies.  Some of the information may appear a little dated.

As you can see,  a frame scanned at  64 base (-) resolution has the potential to generate a tiff file around 90mb. Figures quoted are approximations.

Bob.

These two extracts are from the QSS29 manual. I'm not familiar with your QSS35 desktop but should be the same options.

Simply change the default from JPEG to TIFF in the drop down dialog box.  BMP and Flashpix are the other alternatives.

Note: your options for any particular "base" level output are pre-defined in  Media Settings (Option Registration) for the HD or any other output device.

Referring to CK's post above. To maximise your output file size to media / HD or ext drive, set the defaults to the largest possible, then go to the 12 x 18 print channel and uncheck/disable print. OR copy paste for a dedicated channel ditto. If you forget to  turn off Print, you might as well scan the neg and take time out for a large Cappucino  next door whilst the printer grapples with the numbers, reformats and down sizes it back to sRGB to print your 12 x 18!!!!

There is something not right here.

We had a 3502 ( a faster version of the 3501) and we regularly did 16base 2000px x 3000px scans from 35mm negs, and I don't remember the size of our medium format scans. We never had a problem with lockups or freezes. It slowed the machine down, but it worked fine. What model scanner do you have? Maybe that's the problem. We had the scanner which took all the film carriers like the 35mm/aps unit, 120 unit and mmc carrier. I know there is another model scanner which was a lower price and only took 35mm and/or APS. I don't remember the designations but ours may have been an S3? Perhaps the lower price scanners don't scan as high as the more expensive one? Just guessing!

yeah......maybe a good idea, but this new job, for the first time instead of an independent, I'm working for somewhere that is a pharmacy chain....can't exactly mod the machine of a huge corporation without them noticing.  Getting them to carry matte paper instead of just glossy was enough of a struggle.  And it didn't freeze on the first scan.  About 2/3 of the roll fed back out before it froze and gave the auto carrier msg.  I'll try again and take down an error msg this time.