Noritsu Qss-3211

dpa_photo

Hi everyone,

I have a QSS-3211 and have print count around 170K.  The printer started to generate yellow line on the prints.  Noritsu tech replaced AOM to see the problem will go away, but it didn't help at all.  I was told that the laser unit is going bad and new laser unit is needed.  The cost is over $12K.  Before I spend the $12k, I decide to see the experts on this site may able to share your thoughts.  I am very surprised to find out the laser unit went bad after only 170K prints.  We take very good care of the printer daily.  Is this normal?  Any insights from you will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  Danny.

Sorry to say but that does look like symptoms of the blue laser failing.

Often the first symptoms are blue/yellow shadowing on the photos, especially noticeable on index prints, then you start to get images like you have attached.

Get the Noritsu tech to measure the output of each laser using the laser diagnostic software. This will then confirm if the problem is the laser unit.  

After having a look at all the infoone of three, blue AOM, Blue Driver board failin that laser unit is on its way out. Its very suspect that after 170K prints that this has happened. How old is the machine? I had a QSS 34 running and we did 800k in 4 months without laser problems. Paper transport problems due huge amounts of volume which is uderstandable but no laser problems. I looked at a QSS 33 with the same problem as what is seen above and a second AOM attempt solved the issue. I hope this helps in your query.

To all,

Thank you for taking the time to help me out.  I will try to answer all your questions in one post.  Noritsu tech suppose to perform the laser diagnostic test, but I can never tell the tech actually know he is doing.

The first test he did had no indication of laser problem.  After many hours and replacement of AOM boards and some other boards that I don't know what they are.  That didn't resolve the problem.  He did

another laser test and indicated a laser unit problem.  The reason I posted on this board is my experience with Noritsu tech has not been positive at all.  I don't think they know what they are doing most of the time.

When I was reading the message on this forum, it seems that people have much experience.  I just want a second opinion.

The printer is about 1.5 year old and I am so surprised that the laser will go out that fast.  Anyone can confirm the problem or point me to the right direction before I spent $12k after 1,5 year will be greatly appreciated.

Noritsu isn't going to do anything to compensate this problem,  The bottom line they don't care after I asked them to come up with a resolution that a small business can live with.

Thanks for all your help.  Danny.

Dear Danny,

To confirm AOM, first replace the AOM with an other AOM and check if the line remains, if it solve the problem, AOM could be reason as you told earlier that after replacing AOM, you'd solved the problem. AOM can go fast some time. AFter diagnose , try to replace the Laser driver PCB , I am sure it is not a laser problem. OR just try to open and connect all the connectors of AOM, Laser driver PCB and Laser I/O PCB.

From all the reply posts, I assume that I have a laser problem and need a replacement.  If that is the case, does anyone have any idea how I can obtain third party support if that even exist in the photo finishing industry.  I am also interested

to see anyone has any idea on the relationship among AOM drivers, PCB I/O boards, AOM boards and the laser unit.  I figure I may as well learn something since I can't really get any real information from Noritsu tech. most of the time because

all the answers are in Japan.  I appreciate if anyone has any information to share.  Thank you again for all your help and time to assist.  Danny.

I guess warranties vary from country to country, but we have a 3202 which had the laser replaced 20 months into its life. Fortunately, in Australia we have a full 12 month warranty on all parts, and then a further 24 months warranty on major parts, such as the laser. Our new laser ended up costing us about A$1000 for the labor involved in the replacement. you may want to check out http://www.serranorey.com/menu_other_products/Laser%20Repair/Laser%20Repair.html as they are a reputable company in the US and may be able to help you.

Mr. Noritsu,

Thank you for the information.  I will contact them to see what they can do.  Any saving will be great.  More importantly, I rather spend money on company that deserve my hard earn dollars.  In this case, Noritsu clearly isn't the one if I can help it.  My experience with Noritsu in U.S. has been the worst company that I have ever worked with.  Again, I sincerely appreciate everyone time and help in confirming my laser problem.  Danny.