strange yellow glow....?????

infocus

Qss-2901...We are getting a strange yellow glow on some digital prints, as per the print attached. All the other colors are as they we seen through the lens. Where the arrow points you can see an odd yellow glow where it should just fade. I should point out that we are only getting this phenomenon from prints from one certain individual's photoshop work. We did redo some of his prints from the exact same file still on our kpm, and they were fine. ??????

Looks like some banding probably due to a color management issue. Most digital minilabs expect files to be in the SRGB color space, and if your customer is working in Photoshop, the files are probably in the Adobe 1998 color space which is Photoshop's default.  I am not sure , but it could be the Kodak kiosk is converting the files to the SRGB space.  The way to find out for certain is to open the files up in Photoshop and see what space they are in . If they are in a different space , convert them to SRGB and try printing them again... and I bet the 'glow' will go away, just like it does when they are printed on the kiosk.

mechanical/machine issues asside, I have had this problem with certain clients work. We usualy find that the work has  been 'over worked' on Photoshop, usualy with an incorrectly setup monitor. In cases like this we ask for the original file (from the camera), if it is a composite (quite often), there is usualy little that can be done unless you can obtain the original files. But most people will not pay for this, and it's your fault anyway.

I thought Photoshop default was 1966, I'll check on that.

We are back to the issue of printing customer 'enhanced' images. do we adjust an image that they have given to us as complete, and possibly un-do an effect they want (the banding on the example could be construed as an attempt at partial posterisation) ????

These photos were sent directly from a KMP...we never saw the outcome until the enlargements came out. We asked the customer if he worked these photos, but he said that they were not touched in any way...bit of a fibber, I think. He does work for other photographers, and we get the same result...only from this fellow's touch-ups, although, like I said, he "doesn't photoshop" his work......I'll check his files the next time he comes in...

Thanks everyone,

Brad

It does look like over saturation/contrast etc. in photoshop. It seems to be only his work, it is probably something to do with his work system setup, probably as simlpe as a poor or poorly adjusted monitor.

Mind you, one lad who fancies himself as a photographer, and has given us repeated photoshop problems, confided the other day that not only does he have a family history of glaucoma, but he is also partialy colour blind and diabetic. When you also add the fact he does all his work on a five year old laptop, what chance have we got of rendering an image as he sees it?

That does look an interesting image though. Know any history of it? Is it modern (as in taken this decade)? very remenisent(?) of Vietnam, unless I saw the film (which it would be if it came from that era) I would suspect an 'artistic' composite.

Photographis....The shot was taken near here, Norther B.C. about two weeks ago...a very popular spot for photographers. I've been there a few times myself. When the sun is over the inlet, you get fantastic lighting capabilitites. There are literally thousands of spots like this up and down our coast. A boat would be handy though.

I'm going to ask for the original file next time he comes in and see what he says.

Thanks

It is my understanding that Kodak software... The DLS specifically just ignores profile data for incoming files and processes them as RGB files. I would imagine the Noritsu software does the same...... Til NOW?????? Can you send me the file via email... I'm really wondering now. I want to see what my DLS would do to it.

I'll see if I can recover the file in the morning...I'll send it if I can find it on the KPM and get it off....I should be able to save it to a cd from the QSS once I manually open it from the KPM. I'll try to get the original file, but they say they're not sure if they still have it???!!!

I should add, the woman that brought it in said that the only work done to it was that they had to get rid of about five spots that were on the original file.  She said she used photoshop 4.01 ?or maybe 5.01?   At first she said that the file was retouched by the same guy we had problems with last week....she really can't remember WHO did the work. She has so many copies of this file that she can't find the original one!

I agree with you, retired, and I do believe the Noritsu's follow that scenario.

I would be interested to learn how to glean so much information from files, incidentaly. Maybe Neil could setup a creche for noobs like me on this subject??

Infocus, where is Northern BC? is that Brtitish Columbia? If, as you say, the light comes into the inlet, it looks more and more probable that the image was adjusted to much in Photoshop to try and get detail in the shadows. It's a real pain when we get the stick for it though!

Yes, northern British Columbia...Terrace,  near the coast, half way between the U.S. border and the Yukon border. The sun at this particular spot does indeed show it's face in the exact spot on the photo.

It is surely a pain trying to get photoshoped pic's printed. We have already wasted over 11 prints trying to get that glow to disapear...I gave up and asked for the original file. We'll see what happens next, I guess......

I would be interested to learn how to glean so much information from files, incidentaly.

Almost ANY decent picture editor can show what is known as EXIF data. Photoshop has a command under the file menu called: file info. It shows this data.

Typical data here is: type of camera, setting of camera, file type and creator, date time and color space, sometimes even copyright and other owner info shows up too.

Infocus... the picture shows up on my computer screen just fine.....???? I will print it tomorrow and we will see what it looks like.

Retired...found out that it is quite possibly our mlva lamp. we're going to change it in the morning. Apparently it was getting to the end of it's life and was throwing our calibrations out on it. We'll see anyway....

Hope that's all.......found out today that our Scanner unit might be shot as well....

Nothing is going in our favor except now we have a super fast computer that prints crappy 11 x 14's and can't scan film...

Well, I did an 11 x 14 of one of my own shots that had extremely similar conditions....dark foreground, harsh sun durectly over a mountain........no yellow banding at all, UNTIL I played in Photoshop. I upped the saturation about 28%, upped contrast by 18%, hit the "auto adjust"...generally played a bit.....THEN I got the yellow glow! This lady brought another print of her same pic that she had printed at the local Shopper's Drug Mart..not harsh yellow banding, bluish banding inside of the white "halo"...and a fairly crisp outline of the halo....not sure what Shopper's runs for a machine, but I'm sure she has had this file played with quite a lot....She admits that she hatat least 5 spots removed.

Brad

Thought so.

When I was running a Sienna 5000 I had a similar image that  gave me the same problems on the halo. I wasted a yard or two of paper on printing and calibration to no avail. only a lot of desaturation reduced (but did not eliminate) the halo. Unfortunately the resultant image lost all its kick and was as flat as a f##t. The customer went elsewhere in a bit of a huff, but got the same result. They did return to apologise (which was nice and realy unusual) and admited playing in photoshop, which they had previously denied.

We live and learn. But the customer is allways right..........