430l film On fire

damooose

My old film proccessor is threatening to catch on fire and burn to the ground I managed to catch it and switch it off

and switch on and have a look and see Lots of  sparks and flames from this area (see pic) Any body had any experience with this

and what action to take

And Yes some of you will say let it burn and I would too but unfortunately I still need the bloody thing ..

One of processor heaters has (possibly) taken out it's associated SSR (Solid State Relay)by the looks. Can't zoom in on the image as low-rez. Remove the PCB and determine which one got fried, tracing the track back to the connector. Your service manual/parts  book has the schematics in the back to identify the offender.  Heater probably went short because of corrosion.

You can repair the tracks on PCB if it's not too damaged. SSR's can be purchased from most electronics component retailers. Best leave the repair to someone familiar with minilab eqpt, if you don't feel confident. Of course some-one else here may have a "redundant" PCB you can use!

The heaters come in on J/P28 (I think) to SSR's 9 thru 16 on your Relay PCB J302681/682.

Greg.

Thanks Photocorp You got it in one. Just having trouble now trying to get the right SSR  Ive got an old agfa enlarger full of them but from memory

they run a diifferent input voltage .Considering the heater in question is the centre stab tank would it be possible to remove the relay disconnect the heater

and get up and running in the meantime..

i don't own a 430L

but in my film processor i Also faced similar problem with heater of fixer tank it was shorting and burned ssr I just removed the heater and ssr of stablizer tank and instaled it in place of burnt ssr and heater of fixer  machine worked perfectly later on i got the spares and installed them.

Special care must be taken when inter changing heaters they shuld be washed thouroughly to avoid chemical contamination.

Often the cause is the solder joints for the SSR's crack, and then start to arc, then burn the board.

Obviously it is worth checking the heaters are not short circuit, normally if they are the fuse should blow before the SSR/ board gets damaged, this assuming a nail hasn

this symptom is not new to me... We met many times in our sevice life....BAD SOLDER at the pins of Solid State Relay (SSR) is the main reason.  Loosen or old solder points cause bad contact, resulting overheat at the SSR pins, then start burning the board surface one day.  Need to check / resolder / replace solder points yearly to prevent it.   Should it be too late and burning started, you can repair the tracks on bottom of PCB, bypassing the burning area using wire jumpers (bridging method). Darkened area on the PCB will easily overheat / burn again.   Jumper / Bridging Method will be most appropriate..

Not recommended, but if you  wish avoid the expense of a new heater and SSR, you can remove the faulty heater from the configuration, and make safe the PCB. All you will need to do is keep an eye on the tank temperature. It will soon fall to a mean value, held in "limbo", sandwiched by the ambient temp of the tanks either side.....then adjust the setting to equal this temp.

The off-shoot is if a customer brings in a bag of 200 rolls of film (you wish!) the bath temp may drift slightly outside the window of tolerance for the thermo sensor. On SM machines we have quite often removed heaters from STB and set the temp about 22-25 degrees after it has established  it's running plateau.

Greg.