Epson 4990 film/print scanner w/Digital Ice

infocus

I have had one in heavy use for the last couple of years.  Quite happy with it.  Does tend to throw a slight blue cast now its getting older.  Only other problem I had was fogging under the glass which is common with flatbeds.  This was replaced (badly) under warranty-bit of a gap between bed and glass which may explain blue cast.  Scans 35mm film as good as my horribly expensive dedicated Minolta Dimage Film Scanner.  Good for slides, too.  I'm about ready to upgrade to an A3 so I can use more surface and do greater quantities of work like slides, film, and A3 poster copies.  Tossing up to keep with Epson or go with another brand.  Leaning slightly more towards Epson though because it is so user friendly.

We have had a 4990 for over 4 years and its still running like a dream. We have done everything from 8x10 glass plates to 110 negatives on it and it is great. Have had a custom holder made for Horizon 120 negs, and we doing about 10 a week. Paid for the holder in the first order!

I have nothing but good things to say about it.

No way would I hook it up to the Noritsu!. It takes too long and ties the machine up scanning when it can be doing other things. We have ours set up on another PC which is networked to the 3202. That same PC has a Wacom tablet, a kodak 1220i scanner on it and is the one we put customer USB drives into. We gave up having the scanner hooked up to the lab years ago due to the time issue. we use the same setup for customer print to print orders. One staff member can be printing on the lab, and another can be scanning prints. Then when the scanning is done, we give the completed workbag to the printer operator who then does the order

Great little scanner, mind not sure I would buy it for the iCE features alone, still have to check for dust and sometimes the result of it taking the dust out gives a funny looking mark that would be better dealt with in Photoshop.

Hook it up to your desktop machine, not the lab, they are all on the same network.

Aha...I told Tracey it wasn't a good idea to have it running directly to the QSS, but wasn't possitive. Right now we are using the free HP scanner that came with our new desktop...I know why it was free!!!!  We'll order an Epson today then. Thank you everybody for your great input...this is the best forum on the 'net.

Brad

The great thing with the 4990 is that it opens up a whole lot of new opportunities. It lets you get into scanning 6x6cm slides (and all the other 120 sizes), You can scan 4x5 film/glass (and YES, there is a market out there for it). We now have 2 devoted  Widelux customers who we do work for. It will scan 127 film, and it will even do 110 and 126 negs if you have to!