noritsu 2901

hicksnklix

Hi : just new to the forum but been printing with noritsu machines for 5 years, we have a 3001 and a mp1600 but our mp lost it's pcb main board. We are looking at replacing our mp with a 2901. does anyone have good or bad coments about this.and how is uniformity done on a 2901 since it has the same MLVA head as the mp .   thanx   James

The small pcb board where the data cable attaches to standalone computer somehow grounded out to the body of the machine and burned out the small board which was over the main pcb board which also got damaged. The repair quote for replacing both boards plus the cable is $30,000.00. Our insurance Is covering loss and we could not find a replacement(another mp1600) in our area ( Toronto, Canada) so we started to look to replace the mp with a 2901 . Yes we run the mp as a stand alone.

Be aware I don't think you can use a 2901 in any kind of stand alone situation. So this will be a Noritsu software running machine. A 2901 has an mp1700 builtin. I think it positions paper better than an mp1600. No elevator arms, you know. But I have NEVER held Noritsu software in high reguard.  DLS, DP2, photoshop and quick keys...... Anything but Nori. The front end computer in a 2901 is nothing to write home about either...... But I can't say if upgrading that machine would be as benifical as it is in a DLS machine though...

Call Kimtech, up your way, and offer him about 1/2 of what hes asking for his 2901. Drive a hard bargain..... labs are not as plentiful as they once were.

I have the two disk set of the qss printer driver which I believe that will allow any qss machine to run from  a hot folder. 2901's with under 2 mil print counts are going for about 30,000.00 up here and kimtek is local to us but presently only has a sm machine and wants more mony for it.  We run a 3001 and are quite happy with it, the issues we have with the mp are of course paper jams and find the mp very sensitive when it comes to different people operating it as far as the way paper is loaded into the mags and any removal of paper from the machine. Most times that we have had a major problem with the machine was when someone else was operating it . The 2901 will get rid of the mp issues and if the qss printer driver (which cost 3,000.00) from noritsu when we bought the 3001 new in 2002 alows us to send to a hot folder from another computer (we use Express Digital software,very versitile ) we will be in a better position maintenance wise. The 2901 brochure also shows that this machine can be used as a network printer http://www.aaaimaging.com/pdf/noritsu_2901.pdf

I'm guess it was late when I posted that.... Brain fade about the hot folder options. So you like the Express Digital? I asumme you use Labtricity? What kind of "containers" Be it package or like overlays (trader cards/Christmas Cards) can you make with it?

SM macines ain't worth sqwat are they?  :o What is he asking for it?

Kimtek says he' s asking 45,000.00 because it only has 1 mil prints on it but its an sm machine and I am quite happy with ra chem from champion. The express digital we use darkroom (all the verisons do pretty much the same thing ) but we use it for eveything from package printing that can be done in batches to all the sports stuff that we print for the sports photographers ie: memorymates, trader cards, mag covers,teams with templates. Template packs can be purchased and downloaded fairly inexpensively from companies that are linked to the express digital wesite  http://www.expressdigital.com/   the express digital will allow you to colour correct and density adjust images so finely that you can add 1/10 of a point of any colour that most machine manufacturers colour corrections won't allow. If you go to the express website click the link for products and then go to templates and borders link. One more thing , Can anyone let me know how the 2901 does it's uniformity since it has the same MLVA print engine like the mp, or does the qss system do it for it. If that makes any sense. Also Mr.Retired where are you located.

I'm 8 hours due south from you. I will ask my friend about the procedure on his 2901 in the morning. Just for what it's worth. I have another lab owner I know that has MP's upwards of 4.5 million exposures and still kickin it.  :o

The only thing I know about network printing a 2901, If you use "net order mode". It has to be set to it before the orders roll in. This mode might be or might not be used in hot folder apps I don't know. But the machine is tied up till it's done. Same as a 2301 HRCRT It's either doing negs or its in HRCRT mode but not both at the same time.

The dls software uses a system that needs no input from the DLS operator to be printed from remote computers. In the remote computer you simply tell it to go auto and the  DLS operator never even knows it came through. It's a form of hot folder and works good.

thanx for the info , believe it or not my mp only has 800,000 on the counter and am thinking of maybe keeping it and getting it fixed later after we get through this spot we are in . I see you are a big DLS fan, I don't know the system myself, and started into the lab business 5 years ago with noritsu qss so i guess i'm a bit stuck on what i know.

I wouldn't print without DLS but others think I'm crazy for it. I guess it just depends on what you do or like. What I like about the DLS is load it once into the IPW. And from there you can print any size any multiple size at once or you can recall it from memory and reprint it to other sizes, crops or even different surfaces of paper. And never have to Reload the original source image to do it.

Imagine scanning the neg/loading the file, and printing 1 8x10 2 5x7 and 16 wallets at one time. (three sheets of paper) From 100 files at once. (real operator time about 6 minutes) But oops you needed 24 wallets instead. So you recall the memory file and set 8 more wallets. (less than 1 minute input time) Adding the other three sheets (including the make over) added NO EXTRA TIME to the operators task. It takes only one rendering to make ANY number of prints on a DLS machine.

But this is probably more pertinent to someone that package prints ALOT.  8) And all I do is package work so this might be why I like it so much. I also like the remote dim feature but don't need it as much now since I only wholesale.

I printed on a 2901 for about 5 years. i went to noritsu school specifically for that machine. i know it inside and out.  the uniformity is typically done as a part of the "warm up" procedure during the off line start up time. for example, if you open your lab at 10, set your program timer to start at 8am.  during that 2 hours, the printer will do a uniformity as a part of the warm up.  if it fails or there is an issue, when you do your daily setup it will start uniformity then.  this will happen if your windows 2000 OS does not auto log you on.  if your 2901 is a part of a network it cannot access or windows cannot log you on as the admin, the the uniformity will not happen and will be required once the daily setup is started.  you will be prompted to do so.  because uniformity can take up to an hour, noritsu was smart to have the printer go through that procedure during warm up instead of punishing the operator after they arrive at the printer.

as a part of the weekly setup, a uniformity is included and can take up to an hour.  additionally, when you do a lamp change procedure, and do an MLVA lamp change a uniformity is included and will take up to an hour.  

hope this helps.  anyone else needs any 2901 help, i can tell you exactly what that printer will do and not do and how to customize every feature its got.  

chris

oh yes, about the "net order mode"... Retired, you are correct,  that info has to be set up in advance before the orders are "released".  there is a work around though.  under the INPUT option, such as film, sepia, HD, etc...there is a CT-1 kiosk option.  you can set that up to receive your net orders by telling it where to look for the "hot folder" that the software creates.  the 2901 just looks for the DPOF data assigned by a kiosk or external software that writes the DPOF data in noritsu code.  it's actually very simple.   that option is preferred by users that want to be able to do density/color corrections.  net order mode does not give you the PJP option, it just starts printing and prompts for a paper change if the magazine needed is not already loaded.  by clicking on CT-1 under INPUT, just find the folder you want to print and the noritsu software brings in the images, quantities already input for you via DPOF and the operator can make color/density/ DSA corrections for each image through the standard PJP screen.

We bought a 2901 AND A V30 from kimtech...I would recommend you DO NOT BUY FROM KIMTECH. We have had nothing but problems with both machines, and extremely poor service from Eugene Kim. Neither machine was CSA certified, which the SELLER is responsible for, and it took over two months and calls to a Lawyer to get Eugne Kim to have them certified. We think the V30 had been through a fire...we still can't get it perfectly clean, after three complete scrubdowns and chemical changes! We had wanted a V50, and Kim said as soon as he had one he would exchange it for the V30, no extra charge...he was extremely deceptful! It was suggested buy a very helpful person in the States that these machines might be possible survivors of KATRINA.  Be wary of Kimtech. We have a huge list of problems that came with these machines which we paid $45,000 for and can e-mail anyone the list and reasons why NOT to buy from KIMTECH. Kim still owes  us paper guides that never came with the magazines.....A HUGE LIST !!!! I suggest buying from Noritsu or a REPUTABLE dealer if you buy a used machine.

Infocus

I have not heard ANYONE speak good about that company. This makes 5 out of 5 people so I'd say theres something to this.  :o

If you suspect water damage to a PCB. RESEAT (pry up and push back down) any chips that are in sockets. If you see corrosion on the board scrub it with a stiff bristle toothbrush. And again next week and again the week after that. Sooner or later it will stop and return to normal.

by clicking on CT-1 under INPUT, just find the folder you want to print and the noritsu software brings in the images, quantities already input for you via DPOF and the operator can make color/density/ DSA corrections for each image through the standard PJP screen.

I thought that when we did that we lost the print size and quanity that the customer inputed?????? I know when we just hooked up via ethernet we lost that data. I can't swear it was thru the CT-1 option. But we did get to it via Noritsu software and pulled images from the CT but had no print size or quanity data?????

one more important factor to include in your CT-1 programming when using the CT-1 Input button.  before you set up the CT-1 kiosk, you have to export the channel data from the printer.  on the 2901, go to Menu/Extension/ Setup/ Print Channel.  when the list of print channels appears (as if you were about to add or delete or edit) there is an option at the bottom to EXPORT. click on this.  after doing this, go to windows explorer on the printer, via windows key + E.  navigate to the C:/noritsukoki folder and look for the export folder.  once located, click right and go to "sharing".  click this sharing option and SHARE FOLDER.  a little cupped hand icon should appear beneath the folder name indicating sharing is turned on.  this will allow the Kiosk to see the EXPORT folder and subsequently find the file needed for the next step.    on the CT-1 or 2, you go to the admin section of the software and "import print channel data".  there is an option for this under the admin section.  once you click on import channel data, you are prompted to find the "channel file" that the printer saved when you hit EXPORT under the print channel data screen earlier.  navigate to the PCNRT-4 via your network and look for the Noritsukoki, export folder. inside you will find the channel data file. i believe the file extension is .chn.   click on it and the channel data is imported to the kiosk.  next set up your individual print sizes for customers to order from and when you click on the channel # box, the same screen appears on the kiosk that the 2901 shows when choosing print channels.  choose the approriate channel for the size print for that "button".  now, when you choose CT-1 from the input screen on the 2901 and find the "order #"  the DPOF data is read and that includes the channel the prints are going to be printed on along with quantity.  without this step, the CT1 doesn't know what channel to print each order to, and therefore the DPOF data for quantity is not included.  

Dave, thanks for the correction!  i was mentally retracing my steps and mouse clicks from memory as i was not sitting at the printer or kiosk, and you are right about the CT-2 over the CT-1, i was thinking one and writing about the other.  i do not want to mislead folks, so i better start double checking myself before posting detailed info.   the other file extension i referenced is used in photoshop.  i spend 4 ot 5 hours a day in photoshop and i was on a different  mindset.  i did not know, after all those years you could edit the automark file in notepad.  that never occured to me.  that is great info.  thank you again for setting me straight.