Daily setup grey scale

infocus

Re: attached pic....Anybody know if this is a chemical issue? this is our 12 inch..second test.

our 6 inch was the same, but corrected itself. The 12 inch was the same yesterday, and does not correct itself.

Could this be a light leak in the mag? If it is a chemical problem, would it just be a single chemical we need to change?

Also, on every cut-off of the strips, there are red dots and splotches...would this be normal on the 2901? It seems silly, as it spills over onto the first print every morning.

Cleaned the colorimeter and found that  the wire was pinched in the top edge of the compartment...whoever put this together last time never checked the wire! Lucky it never severed it! seems to be working better now. Still have to run three or four tests though...is there a specific value that these should be reading, or do we just keep letting it calibrate itself? No red splotches so far on the 6 inch.

HUGE red splotches on the 12 inch !!!! See the pic...

The MLVA lamp is new...at least the tech from KIMTECH said it was new when he installed it two weeks ago. (sure wish we'd have bought these machines from a more reputable dealer).

Thankls for any help that you have given us already, and looking forward to hearing opinions on these pics...

Brad

Neil...This is a strange one...we can go a few prints with no problem, then get the red fogging out of nowhere on the next print. I'll have to keep track of what happens when we take the 12 inch mag out for a bit when we run two 6" mags. Might be getting light in while sitting out of the machine?....

Hi Liz...We get the same thing when we put matt in the mag...we only got one of four extra mags we bought from Kimtech, so we are just using one mag for 12 inch, and changing paper when we need the different surface. Checked the dark bag, and it is fine...no light leaks at all, so we're thinking it's that one magazine.

Looks to me like you're into a continual reprint situation to get a decent print without fogging.  We ripped off about 5 metres off the roll and found the fogging hadn't penetrated that far but then the pinhole was in the middle of the paper bag which seems to me about where yours is.  I would suggest you give wasting some paper instead of time a go, and if the problem persists then the mag carrier as discussed here may be the culprit.  We have also found that some kindly junior has mishandled the paper mag and accidently opened the mag lock at the side, closed it, and not said a word which has pretty well exposed the paper at that edge.  But then, that's not where your leak is by the look of your photo uploads.

Hi Liz...We've already used the whole roll of gloss, and have only gotten about half of the roll in useable prints. We have put a new roll of matt in that same mag, and it looks to be doing the same thing...fogging again in the same spots. The only person that goes near our paper supply and changes the paper in the mags is Tracey, my wife who has been doing this for just over four years. I'm going to do a test on the mag in our darkroom with a flasflight inside it to see if we can see any light leaks. Did the paper bag Saturday night, and couldn't see a leak or pin hole anywhere.

Hopefully Kimtech is truthful in telling us that our three missing magazines are actually on their way after waiting two and a half months, so we can use different mags and see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi infocus,

I had a very similar problem with my 8" mag, checked and double checked seals and plates, all good.

The problem was caused by one of the buckles, the spring had relaxed a little and wasn't quite pulling the mag tightly enough.

I had to throw away every third print 'till I discovered the problem.

May be worth checking, but looking at the amount of fogging, it looks a little more serious than a slack buckle.

It's always worthwhile checking all the sealing surfaces (including felt & springs) before you re-load an empty mag. When it hasn't run out in the middle of a job.

• 3 weeks later...