Which screen?

Steven Deverill

I've got a problem i'm needing some advise with!

My Noritsu 3202 needs a monitor that is up to the job of colour and density correction, as the one it came with is not! But I'm not sure how much I should (or need to) spend.

any advise would be much appreciated as spending any amount of money on the wrong monitor is not something I can afford.

thanks.

MOst of our Noritsu's came with Eizo 17" LCD's.  Very nice displays.  We ran with the standard display chipset, however calibrated and profiled using the eye1 Display 2.  This dialed everything in to the industry standard of 6500k, gamma 2.2, Luminance 120.

THough we never do color critical work on the machines themselves, they do match our other workstations.

Thankyou, finally someone who agrees with me!

I've bought an NEC panel for it that I'm assured should be a big improvement. the graphics card cannot be upgraded as ait is part of the motherboard (same as Dell but only 64MB) but I am a little concerned that such a high end machine has got such piss poor computer parts on it.

thanks all for your input

steve

If your playing a fast moving action game then you need a powerful graphics card to keep up with all the quick seine changes etc, but for the display of just images on the screen why do you need a super powerful graphics card?

Why fit more powerful components than you need to, especially when there will be very little if any noticeable difference to the end user?

Noritsu have always been pretty poor on the computer side of things, I think the problem is the spec of the computer is decided at the design stage, by the time machine is actually put into production the computer is out of date.

Also they have to have a huge quantity of the same motherboard not only for each machine but also for spare parts in the future. To have a different motherboard in each machine would be a logistic nightmare.

When I first saw the Eizo LCDs I was really shocked at how poor they were/are. Eizo has/ had! a really good reputation on their CRT monitors I

I agree with everything you have said. i did think that the graphics card would allow the computer to run a larger screen but perhaps I'm wrong. it is a bit of a let down that the graphics card in the lab is so old that it is no longer supported in any way by Intel! but this will be down to what you said about the computer being decided at the design stage.

at least I'm not going mad, and there is a solution.

Ta

for your 3202

you need the lastest profil data V2.0   V 7.01 and the QSS program V 8.0.

with this you calibrate your screen and it's aded profil for Eizo model i think.

tha graphic card is a matrox card or integrated to the mother board.

for see your profil data you need passwpord service with floppydisk.if you dont have leave me your mail adress and i send you the file for this.

sorry for mi english

Hi All, just my penny's worth.

There are two separate problems here, screen and graphics handling.

LCD screens......hate them, stylish certainly, practical in a working enviroment? hardly, unless you use a fixed stool at regulated height and fix the screen so it doesn't move. In my lab, I rarely have the time to sit in front of one machine, and tend to be running two or three (and dealing with customers) at the same time, so for me a fixed stool is just something else to trip over. After saying that, I have an lcd screen on my digital lab, after a busy day I feel seasick (from swaying in front of the damn thing to get best pos. position) and have a crick in my neck. The number of re-prints has risen, mainly due to incorrect density (me moving).

Neils' point about the graphics card is very relevant, an 'on board' card will use your system ram to handle all those images you keep pumping in, whereas an 'add on' card, whichever format you choose, carries and uses its own memory, therefore freeing up the system RAM for, well, system use.  When choosing a card for this sort of application, you don't particularly need a 'top dog' speedy wizzy thing, just something with loads of memory. In this day of 'bigger and faster is best' this is not allways the easiest thing to find.

All our workstations have crt monitors, and this will not change in the foreseable future. The number of photographers that present us with 'finished' work from their laptops (it is our policy to check the images on our screens with them before printing) only to find that the density (particularly) is completely up the creek....... It gets boring.