is it the chemistry or is it just me?

benjaminmarsh

We do a lot of disposable cameras through our lab (prob 12 or so a day) and more often than not their films come out a little more magenta and transparent looking than regular films.  Is this systematic of poor chemistry or just of the poor quality of brand x disposable cameras these days?  My Developer and Bleach chemistry is quite new (less than a month since both have been drained cleaned and topped up) although the fix and the stabilisers are as they were when I first started working at my new lab 3 months ago.  

For the record I think the neg developer is a QSS V60 (am not at work right now, it could be a V30?)

Its the actual film that is the problem not the SUC We have seen unbranded film stock, and even counterfeit film in Kodak canisters over the years.

As ever if the consumer buys a cheap SUC, they do not know what the film stock inside the camera is, where it has come from, or what age it is.

It will be a V30 or a V50 that you have... and the stab should really be changed once a month or so.... also check out the first tank on the stab, as this will have the carry over from the foxer tank, and will be the worse tank...

Always keep an eye on the fix, and you may want to change this maybe a couple of times a year.,

it will be a V30 then, you say you change the stabiliser once a month, do you mean draining the whole tank letting the replenisher refill it from scratch?  I would have thought the automatic replenishment alone would be enough by perhaps that's my bad.  We use champion chemistry for what its worth, my old lab in NZ had slot in boxes of ready made kodak chem, but our machine we mix the chemistry with water in to the replenishment tanks by hand.

I must admit Im a little behind on the maintinence as I have so much printing to do it seems like I can never clear the backlog :s I guess all lab operators use that excuse.

If I recall the manual states to use normal replenisher to refill the stab tank as opposed to specific quantities of water, concentrate and starter, does that mean I just drain it and it will refill automatically when it detects a low level from the replenisher tank?  I cant say I have ever drained the stabliser tanks,..  Also out of interest what is the effect of poor stabiliser on a neg, weak developer is obvious enough and poor fixer I have seen before, but I guess poor stabiliser must have a more subtle effect.

If you drian the tank.. then you MUST fill back up... easy way is to just do a 10 litre mix in a 10 litre container, then pour into the tank. You do not need starter ;) for stab... Make sure that you have no power turned on.

Stab will afect your d-min Do you process control strips?