3300 springclean fear

Liz

When I first saw my new machine print 18 months ago, I was outstanded at the quality and clarity.  Now I want to get back to that.  The collection of data over this time has dirtied up the print channels-wouldn't be game to print film on the channels allocated to the 3 kiosks as they would turn out cyan.  In fact the prints coming through the kiosks and dull and boring.  All the chems, maintenance is up to date.  So, I would like to do a springclean and reload all the programme and start again from scratch.  Unfortunately, when the machine was first set up it wasn't "ghosted" so I have no initial backups.  Which is another reason why I would like to start from scratch.  Been down the track of adjusting colour, density of the scanner and don't want to go that slow route.  If I take a note of all the current settings, can anyone see what problem I may have if I reload the whole shebang?   Will this achieve my aim?    

You can try this it may help.

Go to F, Menu, Extension Setup, Laser Setup, Paper Specification Registration/Setup, F: Functions, Printer Profile Calibration.

Reloading the program/ system software is unlikely to help, you would need to initialise various machine data, such as scanner data, printer data etc.

But doing this is a lot of work afterwards, scanner would have to be refocused, print channels would need to be re typed in, etc etc.

Best option is to load a backup disk/s from when the data was good.

Dave is right on target with what he said. The only other option is to do a total system restore using the restore disks provided with the machine, then load any optional software you may have like redeye, templates, Picture Cd etc, then retore from your last good backup.

Only problem with this is that the backup disks will have whatever wierd data you probably want to get rid of.

Did the tech who installed the machine (I'm assuming it was Kodak as you are in Oz) do a full service backup after getting the machine up and running?

We had that done with our 3502, and the service backups have helped to sort some of our issues, but I am told they have more data on them that the normal end of day backup.

The may have done the service backup and put the floppies in the back of the machine where they can't be found.

Well, as I said fellas, no "ghosting" or intial back up, so if I do this, I'll be back to square one.  Did a big stomp-up-and-down with Kodak at the time, but they said sorry, Tech should have done this inital start up-back up.  Yeh. Thanks.  I'm prepared to re-enter print channels etc, and know I have a days work in front of me.  Just concerned that there's some mystical tech data I won't be able to re-enter that will leave me stranded.

Every machine comes with initial data disks that are made when the machine is setup in Japan. These consist of 4 floppy disks marked initial data 1, 2, 3 & 4.

Loading these disks in service mode will reset everything back to factory default settings.

The machine then would need all of the adjustments to be made for, the scanner light source, focus, Laser alignment, initial setup, etc etc. Basically everything that is done on installation. Some of these operations require special jigs/ charts to do the job.

Without these you

Ah well, given what you're saying, looks like I'm stuffed as regards giving my machine a springclean.  There's no discs at the back of the machine and I've known for awhile that I didn't have any initial discs done although on installation day I was not aware.  I found out some months back when my machine hiccupped and they asked me to load in the initial data?  That's when the problem came to light.  All I got from Kodak at the time was, "tech should have backed up the machine on installation".  Now it's out of warranty.  For them to come and do it all over again will cost me thousands $ for fares labour and accommodation.  Not good enough, but I'm weary of demanding my rights with Kodak and our contracts with them on machinery. ::).  

I agree with Photographics.

Not making any backups after the installation basically means the installation was never completed. Kodak has admitted that the tech forgot to make the backup data, as they have apologised for it.

Now they need to rectify the problem free of charge as it was their mistake by not making the backup disks at installation time that has prevented you from resolving the problem.

Why should you have to fork out, because of their mistakes?

Had these disks been made, I 99% sure you could have sorted out the problems.

I here a letter from a solicitor can do the trick if everything else fails!

Good luck.

LOVE the law, but I bet if I fine picked my contract there would not be anything there specifying a "back up clause to finalise installation".  So point to point my lawyer would probably lose and not be happy.  He could argue the moral point, about what is installation and what does it entail?  Only operable on the day, or operable in the future?  Perhaps for others reading this post and about to embark on a new purchase, ensure you have that insurance of a back-up of initial settings.  In the meantime, I shall write to Kodak and see what happens.  That should come to pass about March next year!  Thanks for your support.  I will follow up on this post but I suspect not too soon.

Liz

I'm basing what I have to say on our (old) 3001 and now our new 3502 machine.

At worst, you should have a recovery CD, and all the software CD's that are needed to run your machine. This is supplied by Noritsu when Kodak sold it to you. not to supply these items is like buying a new computer with no windows CD or recovery partition on the hard drive.

If your machine went pear shaped tomorrow (It won't), then you must be able to restore it. That is what the system restore software is for.

Generally, the first CD installs windows after formatting the hard drive. Then you load the Noritsu system software, followed by the profile software, redeye software, picture CD and then any other template software.

You then read in your most recent "end of day back up", and your machine will be back to what it was whaen the last backup was done.

Trust me, I know what to do in this area as we have reloaded the entire software suite onto our machine 5 or 6 times in the 3 months we have had it.

We have also discovered that the end of day back up floppy does not always work, but it does not give an error message when it is created. You do not need to know how we discovered that little fact!

No matter what, you must have been supplied the recovery software with the machine.

Yes I have all the discs to get the machine up and running should it fall over which I agree it is unlikely given its relative newness.  But where you say "You then read in your most recent "end of day back up", and your machine will be back to what it was when the last backup was done."....... My most recent back contains all the clunky colour casts I want to delete.  What I'm saying is, I didn't ever have a clean back up from first day of operation.  As Dave says, my back ups now will only restore the dirty data I'm trying to fix.

Sorry, it was both you Mr Noritsu and Dave that talked about recent daily back-ups.  Anyways, what I'll do is follow through.  I'm so looking forward to the help line and the newest kid on the block going ah.......welll.......I think what it does is.........hang on a moment I'lll check........(STD rates continue)........then I get quoted from the manual which aren't that explicit in the first place.  

• 2 months later...

Wish granted.  Tried to do a monitor calibration through through the 3300 programme which returned horrendous results.  Techie advises 'Monitor Calibration' by noritsu is`doomed to fail'.  Or so he says  Tried to do a restore to CPU and failed.  Great.  Drive A malfunction.  Totally stuffed up by going into Windows and doing a restore to last known good point.  Big warning people.  Don't do it!!!  Lost all my drivers and the Noritsu prograamme.  Had to reload all.  Most stupid thing was I forgot that 6 months earlier I had "ghosted" the 3300 and only a few clicks away could have restored all information.  Second stupid thing was`leaving my copy of "ghost" in techies hands as it as since disappeared!!!!!  

Liz, I'm confused about the comment from a kodak techie that a monitor calibration is "doomed to failure". We had a 3001 and it was a piece of cake. We currently have a 3502 and whilst it is a painful, long experience, it does help. I'm not sure what there is that is different with a 3300 to make it such a problem. When you "lost" the monitor, did you try a backup from the last good floppy? We have reloaded the whole operating system on our 3502 so many times that I could (unfortunately) do it with my eyes closed.

After you reloaded everything, were you able to restore tha machine back to the last floppy backup?

One thing we have found with our 3502 is that when there is a problem with the data on the floppy, the machine does not tell you. you only find out when you go to restore from the floppy. When it fails, you just go to the next most recent floppy, and eventually you get it all back.

I hope you are all ok now and back up and running, but I still believe the techies comment is a total cop out

I do think there is a drive A failure as I tried each back up floppy (I have one for each day) and none of them restored to CPU.  Techie to look at this to-morrow when he comes.  He did say that he has seen this "monitor" calibration problem regularly so......I don't know.  Love to ghost the machine on a regular basis but no longer have the disk ::)  He also said he wiped out all the colour data and reset it but things don't look too different to me.  Will need to check that one out with him too.

Liz

If the tech is coming, then AFTER he sorts the A Drive problem, ask him to do a full service backup of your machine. Read the disks back in after the backup to ensure they work, then put them away for later use if needed. He also needs to make sure you have all the recovery CD's you need, as well as an up  to date system program CD and current profiles CD. Those discs, along with a full set of service backup discs mean you can restore your machine at any given time.