27 DLS machines?

Retired

The short version:

Must match drive letters like the old machine.

C: main  X: extra  Y: printbuffer  V: wip  U: archive

I'd use windows 2000 even if you were going to use V2

Printer card must be in PCI 2.1 slot ONLY (won't work in PCI-X)

Scanner card can be in PCI-X

Calibration software has to be shown the NEW flatbed scanner connection.

Right then, On to the long version.......

If you have studied your current box (PC) you know that it has 4 hard drives (assuming the store it system) Two of the drives are striped raids. (print buffer and WIP)  

Anyway you can start with just about anything that has a clock pulse AND (VERY IMPORTANT) at least one PCI 2.1 compliant slot. DO NOT CONFUSE PCI-X.

I used a IBM Intellistation 6221-33U This has a dual channel 320 ultrawide controller on the MB. Turned out to be useless as this won't stripe raid. It will mirror raid but not stripe.

So you can use the ones that only have ide on MB cause your gonna wind up buying an Adaptect 29320 anyway. (you could use 160's too) You probably can use ATA's if you want. But I use 320 drives in all my Photoshop boxes and see/feel the difference.

I figured if I was doing it I was going all out period!

Here's a few that would be good to start with:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Intellistation-Z-Pro-Xeon-2-4Ghz-36GB-1GB-CDRW-Wrty_W0QQitemZ8755561993QQcategoryZ51141QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Intellistation-Z-Pro-P4-Xeon-2-66Ghz-Computer-PC_W0QQitemZ8755047210QQcategoryZ51145QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mine is a 2.8 Zpro Dual, and I did get it from Ebay. (Z pros have more slots than M pros) Ram and second processor came from a memory house but I bought the IBM heat sink (second processor chip), as I wanted it to work with the baffling already there. I think it was 12 dollars. Not bad for OEM. I also got more SCSI cables from IBM too. Ordered on Fri AM email from IBM on SAT & SUN parts arrived MON. WOW!

You must put the printer driver card in a 2.1 compliant PCI slot. IT WILL NOT WORK IN A PCI-X SLOT. You must maintain a SCSI based CD burner to make file export happen as well as burning CD's. You can put a ATA/ATAPI DVD reader in and name it the old CD drive letter and it will use the new drive when you push the CD icon. You can use any memory card reader and rename to match the digital input icon's too. The Intellistation I used had only one PCI slot all others were PCI-X so I had to get a network card to fit X slots. Not real common so make sure it is. I used 2.5 gigs of ram. Mostly cause the box came with 512 in two chips. Only four slots in the machine and they must be installed in pairs. So I left the 512 in with the intent to replace them once it was up and running with 2 more gigs. I just haven't done it yet.

PCI card line up I used

slot 1 AGP video

slot 2 printer card (only 2.1 compliant in the thing) (driver is lvdsWDM.sys)

slot 3 29320 adaptec for the first 3 drives

slot 4 1080-II scanner card, PCI-X OK. (Uses no driver) I don't know how we slipped this past windows???

slot 5 2940 adaptec for the archive drive and second channel for the Microtec setup scanner. (see notes about set up) (I could have used the MB SCSI for these)

slot 6 X compatible 100 ethernet card (I'm going to try a gigabit card in both the MP and this someday) FAST FAST FAST! LOL

I can send you the driver for the card (printer) At the moment I can't remember where/how they came about. But they are in/about the disks that you have but right now I CRS.

Don't forget a SCSI channel runs only as fast as it's slowest device on that channel. So you don't want the scanner on the same channel as a drive.

Stuff all that in a box and sit back and watch Windows crap as it finds all that new hardware. LOL (computermad1)

I loaded SSooooo many times it wasn't funny. Mostly cause I didn't know what I was doing or what I was screwing with. LOL

My final recommendation (having tried several different things) is put all that together (but don't have to have the printer/scanner cards yet) then partition C and X drives and load windows 2000 with service pack 4. And get all the drivers for video and god knows what else installed. Do updates. Add new drives and change drive letters around to match you old box and stripe the two drives. Now install the cards for the Noritsu stuff. Install the printer drivers. And now load DLS 3.0 and then the scanner software just as the documents that came with the 3.0 upgrade tell you.

After the scanner/calibation software install, you must use adaptec SCSI software to locate the scanner/bus card and then tell the calibration software where it is.

And if all goes well.............. Party on Garth! LOL (bannanalama)

As for the speed? 100 Canon 20D jpegs loaded from a gigabit network, From the time you spec the files (for 1@8x10) to viewable on the PJP screen 4 minutes 20 seconds. I think this used to take 30 minutes on my 500 dual.

I'm sure this will spawn more questions.... So fire on and I'll help all I can.

Hi there, I'm new to this list but I have tried the same with a new Dell 3.0ghz dual machine.  I've gotten everything to work BUT when I send images to the MP1600 for printing the printer gets about 20+ images and then craps out with an error message ASC:91 ACQ:99.  Try as I might, I can't get it to accept large quantities of images.  BTW how do you tell the difference between PCI2.1 and PCI-X?  

If you can send files at all, you don't have the printer card in a PCI-X.

http://home.att.net/~photoexpress/images/88p9136_53.jpg

That's picture of my motherboard notice pci-x slots are longer.

As to the error.......are you using DLS 3.0?

BE sure and see what the slot specs are for that machine. Perhaps move the printer card to a different slot?

I'm no wingeek, but tell us more and maybe someone will know whats up.

I have tried moving the printer card from slot to slot.  I have tried setting the network card for the MP1600 to as slow a rate as possible.  I have even tried to have the memory in the printer replaced thinking it was a defective memory module.  I get a similar error (different numbers after ASC and ACQ) when I'm using the old IPW but it is very intermittant.  All I can think of is that the IPW is sending way to much data, way too fast.  I can't find a way to slow it down in that aspect without simply going to a slower IPW.  Which defeats the whole exercise!

I have a hard time believing that the IPW is sending to fast. Ethernets whole job is to traffic the data reliably.  Since both machines do the error............ It would have to be common to both. Like the printer card, ethernet card/hub or in the MP-1600.

Are you in America?

The hotline has one or two really good Wingeeks. If your not in NAC territory tell me exactly the conditon and error message and I'll call them and ask as if it was the old IPW. Cause they sure won't talk to us about the new IPW now will they. LOL

Here is what my manual says about the bus in my computer. Maybe it will help.

v You can install only a 32-bit adapter in the 32-bit PCI slot 1; 64-bit adapters can be installed only in the 64-bit PCI-X slots 2 through 5.

v You can install full-length adapters in all five expansion slots; however, full-length, double-width adapters will not fit in slot 5 and are not supported. None of the expansion slots are hot-plug.

v The 32-bit PCI slot 1 supports 5.0 V signaling PCI adapters; it does not support 3.3 V signaling adapters or 64-bit adapters.

v The 64-bit PCI-X slots 2 through 5 support 3.3 V signaling PCI or PCI-X adapters; they do not support 5.0 V signaling adapters.

v The PCI bus configuration is as follows:

• 9 months later...
Here is what my manual says about the bus in my computer. Maybe it will help.

v You can install only a 32-bit adapter in the 32-bit PCI slot 1; 64-bit adapters can be installed only in the 64-bit PCI-X slots 2 through 5.

v You can install full-length adapters in all five expansion slots; however, full-length, double-width adapters will not fit in slot 5 and are not supported. None of the expansion slots are hot-plug.

v The 32-bit PCI slot 1 supports 5.0 V signaling PCI adapters; it does not support 3.3 V signaling adapters or 64-bit adapters.

v The 64-bit PCI-X slots 2 through 5 support 3.3 V signaling PCI or PCI-X adapters; they do not support 5.0 V signaling adapters.

v The PCI bus configuration is as follows:

• 1 month later...

I remenber the same thing happened to me. It hated the driver big time. I'll have to stew on how I got it to work. As I remember now it was the same stuff. As soon as you spec the driver it crapped. Now I just gotta remember how I delt with it.

Does anyone know if I could have made windows use the driver without letting the wizard get involved?

Give me a bit I'll remember.

• 2 weeks later...