MP1600 Uniformity

Videoteks

I have an MP1600 RA printer. I am having guess what? UNIFORMITY issues, I have read a lot of the posts and tried many of the suggestions, but I am still experiencing very poor uniformity. The scanner/uniformity software is telling me that uniformity is good, however you can clearly see, it is not.

I have a new lamp 2 days old, a clean lamp housing, a fresh MLVA setup, good chemistry, but BAD uniformity, any suggestions will be much appreciated. :'(

Are you sure the problem is bad uniformity and not banding?

Bad uniformity will occur across the width of the paper.

Banding will occur along the length of the paper.

When did the problem start? E.g. after replacing the lamp etc, or has it gradually been getting worse over a period of time?

Post up a sample of the grey test prints so we can see what the problem may be.

I will post a sample as soon as I get in to work tomorrow, however I had a Noritsu tech in and I am told that it is uniformity. I was told that banding runs perpendicular to the direction of the paper, so this is not banding. It has gradually got worse. I replaced the lamp to try to correct it, and thought I may have a bad lamp so I replaced it again. The uniformity callibrator in MLVA setup brings it close to uniformity, however there are very fine light pin stripes visible. Then when I move on to flatbed scanner the light lines are eliminated but the overall uniformity gets worse. The more I run the uniformity correction on the flat bed scanner, the worse it gets? It is very visble in darker tones.

I think you maybe right about the scanner. I have cleaned the glass inside and out, with alcohol, looks good but where will I find the mirror? Do you know if this printer only works with the scanner that came with it? Because I have an Epson scanner that I could switch out to see if the problem is the scanner.  Thanks for your help and suggestions they are much appreciated.

Have a look at this:- http://www.minilabhelp.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?m-1112981662/s-all/ Photosonthespot has some good suggestions, Mondays is suggesting setting the correction pattern to 1 instead of 8 Auto.

Only other thought is the cutter units are worn/ very dusty and is causing paper dust to fall on to the MLVA head, so each print that is made has uniformity lines on it in different places, which obviously the scanner will never be able to correct.

Try printing the daily setup prints several times, but don

I read another blog about chemistry causing uniformity issues. Now I have good chemistry set up to spec, however I am running Fuji Crystal Archive Type II paper with Fuji chemistry and have always had trouble getting good blacks. The blog I read said that I should raise the temp of the CD and the blacks will become blacker and it will clear up some uniformity issues.

Has anybody had any experience with this ?

• 1 month later...

On the dls version of the mp1600 software ver h (and all previous versions. when the mp1600 is disconnected from the scanner or when one logs on to  the mp1600 the the first page/screen of the system has a option to clean the head. on dls it is # 8 on the same screen that you do uniformity and paper corrections on.

• 2 weeks later...

When you do the MLVA head clean, It will ask you to remove guide. When you pull this out then take a mirror and a flashlight and look (from the same angle as the light head would shine) When the head is in the up position, you will want to look from the light output area of the head upwards at a 2 o'clock angle and look for the brass and black fuzzy stuff. It will be inundated with paper dust. Yes this will require some serious antics to see. But you will crap at what is packed up there. I had a similar issue and got out the vacuum and cleaned it good.

You can bypass the scanner uniformity and just run the uniformity section of MVLA setup without running the rest of the MLVA setup procedure. If it cleans up, you scanner is at fault. If it's the same........Keep vacuuming.  ;D