While I'm sleeping....

Liz

4 pm to-day my 3300 threw a wobbly.  Suddenly started printing "red" pictures.  Did the normal corrections including backing up previous data, shutting down and re-start; control strip, la de da and all that but the machine did not respondl.  Any ideas?  Techie can't arrive for two days and I'm fundamentally out of action until then.  No special precursers to this event.  Thought a power surge might have happened but the back up, shut down, restart would have corrected that.  Any ideas out there to get me up and running in the morning?  Early

Easter Bunny surprise?

Thanks JP.  it was across all media.  Techie found time to come as he was close by solving a multi national machine that had gone down (collective awwwwww, how sad  works here ;)  Now when I said I did a daily set up, actually I didn't follow through when the grey scale came out red.  I still should have followed through on the setup and fed it through the densitomer reading.  This was my mistake which didn't allow the machine to pull itself back into line.

Secondly, I think I know what I did wrong and others may comment to agree or disagree but it's probably important for the record.

I had my 5" matte paper set up on Kodak Edge surface. We recently replaced the magazine with 5" Royal (a different surface).  I think, and I could be wrong, that when I did an emulsion set up on 5" it transferred the Edge data across to all the channels using Royal paper, so that every channel I tried came out red.  What do u think?  Am I off beam here?

Anyways, to-day I changed the paper setting on 5" back to Royal and did emulsion change on all the popular sizes I do on Royal, like 4", 5" and 6" and it came back into line.

Mind you the first 5 films were crappy colour.  So it may take some work to get the prints back to good colour.

There should be very little difference between the Royal & Edge papers providing there both of the same type, i.e. Royal 10, Edge 10.

If one is Royal 10 and the other is Edge 9, for example, then as JP said a paper set-up then magazine registration setup, should really be done to get the best results.

Only problem with this is it means you have to do 2 daily set-up

Mango Maniac

Yes the 33 series does indeed use a LASER not an MLVA, but the actual paper set-up procedure is exactly the same weather it be DLP Setup on the 28 series, MLVA Setup on the 29 series or a LASER Setup on 30,31,32,33 and 34 series.

I'm guessing JP uses a 2901 so referred to MLVA setup as that's what he uses on his machine.

I agree with Dave - even if you put in Edge to replace Royal, or vice versa, there should have been minimal variation (if any) between the 2.

We run royal and edge on the same paper setup, and there are no problems. We only do that because our other 2 paper types are Supra and Metallic, so we have no choice, and we have no problems.

It may have been just another "Kodak Moment!"

From reading these posts it would seem that the different paper surfaces should not have made that much difference.  Got me beat as to what the problem really was then.  Why it would suddenly go wild like that.  Techie couldn't give me any explanation either.  Very strange.

I also agree that different paper surface cannot make such large different. In my first a few months on using my 3001, I also change glossy to matt surface without change magazine type.  I need to do 3 or more emulation change but the result is a little bit blue and finally get grey pattern print.

If I have such problem, I will do an Initial Setup under Serivice Mode.  It will calibrate all Laser and Paper change.

Finally, make sure you check there is no YMC correction on Paper Setup, Gamma Setup before doing the Initial Setup.  You can get a good result.

I just do it on my 2nd 3001 machine.

And now for part two.....on Friday when doing a passport print the machine decided to print it blue for no apparent reason.  We did a paper set up and brought it back after three attempts to a greyscale.  Rang Kodak who will get some guru to look into the matter on Monday.  So while were on the subject of things I don't understand,  ??)what's an AOM or OAM?  What's an MLVA as well?  

Hi Liz

AOM= Acousto-Optic Modulator: In simple terms it basically controls how much light is output from each laser, there is 1 AOM for each red, green, and blue laser.

MLVA = Micro Light Valve Array :Is the type of exposure system used on the Noritsu 27 & 29 series (and others) basically does the same jobs as the lasers do, but uses a halogen light source with colour filters and fibre optic cables and liquid crystal (LCD) shutters.

Sounds like the red AOM on your machine is giving problems, sometimes red sometimes cyan Prints?

Let us know the outcome

OK we once had something similar on a 3001. Firstly, the machine sometimes prints with a very strong colour bias. This was caused by the laser control box. Ocassionally we would see the problem starting part way through a print.

The cure was to identify the problem by swapping the boxes and watching fdor the problem following the box (the machine has three boxes, one for each colour.

At one point a staff member got a way out morning setup strip and fed this in. This moved the whole machine and it then printed the opposite way to the original problem - if you see what I mean