2901 Contamination Problem

mbluey

Hi there this is my first post and I am not very technically minded when it comes to using this machine but here is the problem I am encountering and I hope someone may be able to help me out. I have a 2901 machine which has been working fine for the last 2 years until recently when the Dev got contaminated. Since then we have cleaned the tank and replaced the dev but the problem still has not gone away, Noritsu say there is nothing they can do as it is a chemical issue, am waiting for fuji to get back to me (as they supply the chemicals) but basically the control strip comes out very yellow and the whites are very yellow too and prints come out extremely solarised!. Pretty sure it is a chemical issue but not really sure how to fix it due to my lack of technical know how on the chemical side! If anyone has any advice or knows where I could go to get more help, please let me know it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this, I know it is alot!

Cheers

Don't know fuji chemistry but if its that bad then just dump everything including rep tanks , flush with water and put fresh chem. in. Either that or do one chemical at a time. Make sure you are  mixing up tank solutions correctly.

And a couple more things, drain ALL chemicals, tanks, and rep tanks, flush with water, drain again, do this several times.. Then fill the machine with clean water, and run the machine, drain again, then repeat. You need to clear all the pipes and pumps.

Check that the bleach tank is not overflowing for some reason into the dev, is the drian pipe on the bleach tank is OK

When you start the clean tank with fresh dev, are you useing "starter" and have you got the formula right??

Oh, and welcome to the forums :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with Neil, sounds like a chem issue to me, could be a blix contamination, if it was me i would drain the lot clean and put fresh solution ( mixed properley) back in and try a setup, see what happens, i would have thought light leaks would have caused red/black fogging but give the machine a thorough clean and rechem??

• 3 months later...

Don't forget to dump and change the chem recirculation filters. I have seen these hold enough contaminated solution (particularly the Dev) to recontaminate the whole new mix.

Other than that lots of filling with water, running uo the machine, and emptying is what will clear the problem. If the contamination occured in the mixing tanks, then they need to be removed, washed out and all linrs flushed

good luck

I'd check out the possibility of light leaks. Just make some prints with the light turned off (at night, if your lab has a lot of daylight). Make about a dozen prints to check it properly.

If it IS chemistry then I agree that you should dump everything, refill with water, run for an hour then drain and refill with chemistry.

Modern minilabs don't hold a lot of chemistry and it's never worth trying to bring chemistry back on line when you've a serious problem.

By the way, have you checked that someone hasn't put the wrong chemistry in the replenishment tanks?

OOPS - have just noticed that this thread started in JUNE!!

So what WAS the answer!

I know this is an old thread but maybe my two cents will help someone else!

All great suggestions...I got one more.  The large black plastic rollers used on most modern Noritsu machines are hollow.  The gray gear at the ends of the roller are glued in place.  Over time the glue can fail and chemistry will get inside the roller. One you get contaminated chemisty inside the roller, you will have constant trouble.  To test if there is chemistry inside the roller, remove the rack from the tank, rinse the chemicals off and tilt the rack back and forth listening for the liquid.  If you hear liquid, it's inside one of the rollers.  Once you determine which roller it is, you should remove the roller and drain the liquid.  I have tried to repair the leaky rollers using super glue but usally wind up replaceing the roller for a better repair.  Hope this help!