New digital print promotion in Oz.

Mr Noritsu

We have just got a heap of new point of sale promotional material from our industry leading supplier.

They have decided that the consumer needs to be educated on making sure that the customer gets "what they see on their digital camera screen".

Now we all know the aspect ratio problem that keeps popping up, and I guess everyone has their individual ways of dealing with the problem.

Some labs do 4x6 prints automatically and do not offer the customer a choice. Most offer the choice of either 4x6 or 4x5.5 inch - whichever suits the file size. We fall into this category, and it has worked very well for us.

We consider that we are offering "full size digital prints".

Well, our major wholesaler has decided to go one better than us - they have decided that a full size digital print is actually 6 x 4.5 inches, so we have all been given the instructions on how to modify our printing channels to do this.

There is a small one liner in the letter advising noritsu 3001 owners that due to the minimum paper length we can print, we will need to cut 3mm off EVERY full size digital print we produce!

Can anyone tell me who makes photo albums that take 6 x 4.5 inch photos?

Can anyone tell me who the major wholesaler who thought this up could be?

No cheating now!!!!!

I'm not going to hold my breath for albums or frames - I've just spoken to a big Aissie frame supplier and they knew nothing about it. In fact they laughed rather loudly!

I'm yet to be convinced that the chinese market has a lot offer us, but I'll wait and see.

It seems odd that Kodak go to a bigger print size than anyone else (More paper sales), whilst our customers are happy with slightly smaller 4x5.5 prints.

I guess if we offer the bigger prints we will certainly have a "point of difference" with our products.

I'm also somewhat sceptical about the line saying we have to cut 3mm off all our photos - that a lot of trimming of photos which is a MAJOR productivity problem, plus our machine speed will decrease as we are processing 6" paper instead of 4" paper.

From my point of view, this is not for us!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My solution to the proportiom problem is to only offer 4x6, but I have print channel for digital set up for 4x5.5 and 4x5 for the additional options, when an image comes up on my monitior which is going to crop into the subject I drop it down to the next size to get full image, Then I insert a little explanation diagram in with prints that explains the reason for the smaller size. Customers have been happy with this and express that they like the prints from me better, because unlike walmart we do not chop off heads. Kind of makes you wonder why the idiots that design and manufacture these cameras do not take this into consideration. I just saw something neat on the new olympus sp-500 camera. even though it has a 4/5"s sensor it has a 2/3 setting in the menu,  so you can get 2/3 or 4x6 format prints!

The digital print size dilema continues, - BUT BEWARE !

Spectrum had a client with 1000 images - nice order, and we proceeded to sell them onto 4 x 5.33 digital prints.

He dually gave us 3 cd's with lots of loverly named images.

Next day he is back complaining of cropping on 'some' of the images.

It transpired that he and his girlfriend had used DSLR and d compacts and amalgamated all their images and given them nice names so they were truelly mixed up and very difficult to separate into those from the d slr so we could re-print those to true 4x6.

Whole experience kind of made me wish i had just chopped off everyones top & bottom and not give a toss like the big box companies !

We've found it better to call the customer when that happens and explain it to the AGAIN! On our 3001 we have a digicam channel set up with 4x6, 4x53, and 4x5 so we can (and often do) switch between the sizes when its a mixed order like you had. Mind you if they do it on the teller at the front of the shop, they can see ( if they look!) what will be cropped and can move the image to fit.

I do agree however that this is a big dilema

• 1 month later...

We have found this size of paper problem takes up alot of staff time! We will now sell up to 5x7 (for the digital format) if we can, showing customers how it crops less image than 4x6. (we do offer 4x5.5 as well). Most of the time if a customer has spent HOURS at home cropping to square/odd shapes etc etc they are more than happy for us to 'fit image to paper' and leave a white edge! better for us no unhappy customer, and they like the idea we might actually know a bit about images!

We have found talking to customers about this ratio problem helps them when cropping at home. Usually the next batch of images will not have so many square crops!

• 3 months later...

I had never heard of the 6 x 4.5 digital print promotion until I read this thread today. Obviously it was a *huge* sucess! And to think some marketing genius actually got paid to come up with the idea.

I don't know why they just didn't use proper sensor ratios to begin with...

We offer all three sizes and find the most popular is the 4.5x6, even thouugh they don't fit albums. The customer is allways right.

but we don't have the complication of a full digital lab yet. as the minimum size of our digital print is 12"x7", it is just a case of cropping to our customers requirements. by hand, and very time consuming, then triming. Thankfully we don't do many small digi prints, usualy only for special events.

• 4 years later...

over here in Malta we have a lot of 6x4.5 pocket albums and various models too, I do not understand why you cant find this format in other countries. We import them from other countries!!!

So i offer both formats to the client easily. Ofcourse the 6x4.5 format is a little more extra cents. 15cents for the 6x4 & 18cents for the 6x4.5

• 1 month later...