photo gifts

I have 2 shops, so decided pre christmas to invest in system to produce photo gifts.

I bought system from company called Magic Touch.They can supply all the kit required.

The main piece of kit required is a suitable press,this allows you to print  t shirts, mousemats, jigsaws etc.

Mousemats and jigsaws are very easy to produce and make great point of sale products for your counter.I saved a bit on start up costs, utilizing an epson aculasor I already had,this allows you to print on media to print out all of above. If you want to print photos on mugs you will also need mug press.

For further details check out www.themagictouch.co.uk. I can give more advise on subject if anyone needs it.

I think that we will also use The Magic Touch, they seem a good company, with no problems that I am aware of.

Now, as we may put our toe in the water, what would be the best stock to start with. We were thinking about a selection of plain white T-Shirts, Mouse mats, just the simple stuff.

I do not think we will do mugs to start of with though. If any one is offering any of the above services, or more, what do you find to be the most popular... and more important, what is not popular?

The Magic Touch is the best all round to get started with, they are not the cheapest, but offer good advice and service, and can provide equipment, training, and all supplies.

Best sellers are T-shirts by far (one off gifts, leaving presents, kids, Stag and Hen nights), mouse mats are a bit fidley (use white based ones for better image) need a sharp knife for trimming, this Christmas we also did several T-Towels.  Mugs need a separate press, so probably not worth it to start with, we have never bothered with them and use a send away service for the 2 or 3 we do a year.  All the others apart from caps are done on the same press, so you use the same transfer paper and just stock a few mouse mats, tt-owels, jigsaws etc. along with your t-shirts.

You need to be careful with pricing as most will be one offs, and while its not difficult it can take longer than you think, time you have pressed the front, back, sleeve etc, each transfer needs pressing twice, trimming out etc.  When compared with printing say 2 or 3 12*8 enlergements.

Neil, I find mousemats and jigsaws the most popular. I was at the Spring Fair at NEC

on sunday , found supplier for jig saws all shapes and sizes, they also supply major players.....

I am looking at xpress because i think dye sub gives better quality than using lazor printing. I will report once I have comparisons.

Yup, am with the dye sub vs laser for quality.. but from what I have seen, on the actual T-shirts once printed, there seems to be little difference.... Also, talking to a few people about this, it would seem that most T-shirts are for, the most part used as a one off, or lets say not often worn item of clothing, so as long as the shirt can stand several washes, all should be good..

So, next question... OK, who is getting T-shirts at the best price, along with a decent quality??? how much is the actual transfer costing???

We bought a mug press from Magic Touch and got excellent service from them.  Unfortunately we had to return it to them because the receiver paper was not compatible with our QMS Colour Laser Printer.  We were able to press the transfer to the mug but the quality of the image was poor so make sure that your printer is compatible.