CANON or EPSON

nash

Nash,

I do, and have done for past 10 years or so, a lot of LF printing on both Canvas and various paper types. I started with 24" Epson printers (7600) which at the time really was excellent. After 15 months with 24" I had real need for larger so investigated 44" and 60" options.

Unfortunately due to space, I had to plumb for 44". I had various images, both colour & B&W printed on both Epson 9600 and Canon iPF 8000. To be totally honest there was not a fat lot to choose as regards quality. Both were excellent, but the Canon won hands down on speed.

Two years ago I had almost worn the 8000 out so looked for replacement. Again looked at Epson & Canon and finally went Canon again with the iPF 8100. Once again the Canon was faster but also the B&W images seemed better.

So there you have it. I wouldn't say that one is massively better than the other, but for my needs the Canon offers a little more.

Give me a call if you want any more info.

Richard

Not got that one.

Had a play with the 6100 which is the one that the 6300 has replaced, and that one was very good. Similar idea to my 8100 but only 24" so didn't look too seriously as need 44"

The image quality was great on the one I had a few test prints from so I would guess that the 6300 should be just as good. I would however advise that you have the same image printed on all the different ones that you are looking at so that you are able to compare, and if poss have them printed in your presence so that you can time the output. Have the test prints done at 1440ppi on Epson and 600 High on Canon as these are similar qualities.

If you would like a sample print done from my Canon 8100 let me have an image.

Richard

There are good points for buying or leasing. I have always bought mine.

The main thing to remember with an inky printer of any make and model, if you do a lot of printing, chances are that the print heads will need replacing at some point.

A friend of mine has an Epson 9600 and needed a new head. Epson charged £400 for the head and another £350 to fit it as they say it can only be done by a technician.

Whether it can be done without a techie I dont know.

I had 1 new head on my iPF8000 and have now had 2 new ones on my iPF8100 due to the volume of work done. The big advantage with the Canon is that the heads are £299 and I can fit one in about 30 secs.

In all the years I have had large inky printers I have never had a technician out to do anything on them. Now this may simply be luck, but be careful with the lease option because it may look cheaper as they give you a daily charge, but that charge will also have an amount included in it to cover any service callouts. Whether these 'all inclusive' lease things will cover the cost of new heads I very much doubt it as I would think that they class a head as a consumable item as they will have a finite life.

Yes, by buying I had to layout the hard cash from the start, but I knew that at least I had something of value at the end of the day when I wanted to upgrade etc.

Richard

Nash,

All depends on what you are getting for your £36 as that works out at £1872 per yr.

Bear in mind that if you were to buy it outright it would be cheaper and that it would come with 12 month w/tee anyway, so unless that deal is free for year 2 and it covers replacement heads you would prob be better off laying out the cash if you are able to. Remember that that £36 is really dead money as the pinter will never be yours.

Ok, if there are problems with it you can moan and get them to ship another, but within the first 12 months if you actually bought it you could also moan to the manufacturer and get things sorted.

With regard to canvas etc. All depends on what you are looking for and the market you are aiming at. If you will poss be doing a lot of B&W canvas you will almost certainly be better with a bright white canvas. Most canvas is not white so be careful and if B&W is done on an off white canvas it will have not the same impact as one off a white canvas. I use a white 450g canvas called CAN-I from Papergraphics (01293643532 Zoe). They are very helpful and will usually let you have a sample to try. Tell Zoe that I have put you on to them.

Obviously other people, Fuji, Permajet, Spectrajet and many more sell canvas. Some even sell canvas that is a satin or gloss finish rather than matte. I have tried these and they are no where near as good as if you are able to varnish the matte one yourself. This does however require considerable space to do, but the results are better as the edges do not crack when wrapped if they have been varnished.

Your best bet rather than me wear my fingers out typing is to call me as that will be quicker. Click on the link below to get contact details.

Richard

• 1 month later...
A friend of mine has an Epson 9600 and needed a new head. Epson charged £400 for the head and another £350 to fit it as they say it can only be done by a technician.

Whether it can be done without a techie I dont know.

This is true. The physical head replacement can be done by a monkey with a screwdriver. The problem is that there are numerous adjustments that need to be done. In order to do these adjustments you need the Epson Asjustment Wizard software, which is not easy to get your hands on.  

• 5 months later...

Hallo!

Now I'm at the crossroards becdause I need to buy a large format Canon printer but I don't know what to choose because I don't understand anything in printers!

I've recently come across canon ipf 605 there http://www.designsupply.co.uk/605offer.htm. The chararacteristics seem to be good and there's a special offer... But I don't know!

Please tell me weather to buy it or not? And if not which one is better?

:o

I work for Tetenal Ltd 01162324910 and I am the product manger for LFP printers. I have sold Epson, Canon and and HP. The market says Epson LFP printers are the most popular for Photo output which is down to the head technology and they way the variable ink droplet is delivered.

We also supply a wide range of Inkjet media including Ilford Galerie, Kodak, Epson and Spectrajet. Customers buying an LFP from Tetenal currently enjoy an additional 5% extra discount from our already competitive trade prices.  This include inks.

On Epson 24" & 44" printer we have a few remaining low price deals including a free Ipad2 16GB Wifi edition.

Please ring for more information.

Jeremy Roy

• 2 months later...