Epson How to shorten leading edge?

Liz

I have a new Epson 7880.  Before I do any print there is so much waste in the feeding of the paper prior to printing.  Canvas is worse.  Would anyone know how I can configure the machine to feed about 2-3" before starting to print instead of the 8 or so inches I'm getting now.

Once you clamp the material in place the printer will line up the media in its start position.  Again I am using a 7600, I have noticed the amount of paper fed through depends on what media setting you use in the Epson printer drivers, about an inch for the photo papers, 6 or so inches for Fine Art media and Canvas.

So does the 7880 feed through the large margin on Premium Glossy etc???

In the menu on the 7880 there is an option to reduce the "leading edge" (?) to 3mm.  Just play with the menu, it's there !

We found out about this at the Fuji booth at PMA 09.

Normally (factory default) for photo luster paper it would waste about 1" (before & after print), or if you asked it to cut, it would waste 5".

We made the change a couple of days after PMA 09 and it's been great.

We also raise the paper release lever after each print & lower it before printing and it doesn't leave indentations on your media.  (Is this ok ?  I don't know, but it works for now -- Somebody let us know if this is OK or not.)

Thanks Photographis, Nick, Christina, Big Dave.  The information given with the 7880 is very minimal.  I guess because people like me want to tamper with the machine :).  Yep, big Dave, because I have a lazy streak I do go auto-cut but obviously the old 7600 I had must have been set to shorten the leading edge by the previous owner.  What your replies have reminded me is that I still have all the old 7600 manuals including the service manual.  I should imagine Epson haven't been too innovative with the new model, so I'll look it up there.   Let u know how I go.  Oh!  If anyone with a 7600 wants a copy of the stuff I have, please let me know.

I do have another problem but will post that separately.

its so easy to change the settings inside the epson front panel menu.

"We made the change a couple of days after PMA 09 and it's been great.

We also raise the paper release lever after each print & lower it before printing and it doesn't leave indentations on your media.  (Is this ok ?  I don't know, but it works for now -- Somebody let us know if this is OK or not.)"

just curious ??

Christina,

I just checked the printer menu.  The 3mm setting is under:

> MENU > PRINTER SETUP > ROLL PAPER MARGIN > 3mm

For raising and lowering the paper release lever,  we Lower it before doing any print.

We only RAISE it when there's no more left to print.  

Our customers complain about the indentation the rollers leave on the paper when it's been sitting too long.

Hope this helps !

• 3 weeks later...