Canvas Wraps

photosave

We're about to add this service to our minilabs after lots of customer enquiries. I see many of the contributors are already doing this successfully so would appreciate any ideas and feedback anyone could share.

We looked at using artist frames but the trend here seems to be to simply use MDF type board. That would also allow us to have a much wider variety of sizes and thichknesses. One Minilab Help member is advertising 'chunky' wraps which is very unique and good selling point. What's your experience - frames or wood?

Which sizes are your most popular sellers? Before we launch into a wide range there are obviously going to be some that work better than others?

Finally, price. What's everyone selling them for? We've done our local research but we're keen to find out what pricing has been successful for others. It seems that many of our local competitors are pricing as if there is no one else in the market. Has anyone found correlations between certain price points and volume?

We make canvas wraps, stretching the canvas over simple wooden frames, made locally for us by a guy in his shed!! (very cheap)

The frames are made of 2x1'' timber, the 2'' being the depth from the wall if you see what I mean.

Most popular sizes are 20x16'', 20x30'' and 16x12'' in that order. Due to the way we make them we can do absolutely any size. We once did a huge pano wrap, 8' by 18''.

As for price don't go too cheap, people expect to pay a premium price so don't disappoint them !!

If you work on the equivalent of

Cheers Guys, I'd read the tutorial before but missed the thread below. There was some good info on the thicker frames we thought would work well for us. The local art supplies website is an excellent resource and gives us a good starting point for our samples. Now we're just waiting on the new printer to arrive! Thanks again, Chris

I am also hoping to soon start doing canvas prints, so this has been very helpful, as was the tutorial, thank you.

One thing I am wondering about though is the varnish. Is this necessary? And will it make the print last longer, or will it have a detrimental effect on the life of the print?

Presumably, because they cost a premium price, people will expect them to last a reasonable time.

Hi Tony,

It's a strong adhesive brown paper tape I think the make is teka most framing suppliers will carry something similar it is also used to seal the back of professional frames. It covers up the staples and the canvas looks so much more professional for a matter of pence. we really have to do it, as we print for pro photographers who tend to sell them on a BIG prices so they have to look the part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Bubble Wrap,

I am printing on about 3 differant types of canvas depending on the customers - I also print for some other minilabs who are doing their own wraping - one of them doesnt want to bother with the varnish so now I am on the hunt for a waterproof canvas for a customer who doesnt want to varnish - Anyone got any ideas?

By the way - we do two thicknesses of wrap - 4cm and a "luxury" 7cm and two qualitys, just ok and fantastic. Fantastic always sells............

Hi Karen

I sent you an email at your info@ address ten days ago after my son had visited your store wonder if you recieved it? He was very impressed by many of your inovative products and services.  After reading alot of negative comments on this forum over the last couple of years he was able to confirm what I also had seen on my visits. He returns to Australia after 4 months in the UK and was not impressed by what he saw and experienced until visiting your store. He had intended staying for 12 months but could not find a suitable challenging job in the photo industry in the UK.

regards Phil

• 4 weeks later...

Ha, thanks for the compliment about the shop - I think my shop is fab and we will see how the money does or does not roll in.

I have just found a supplier who will print photos (and anything else) onto aluminium - looks wonderfull.................

• 1 year later...

We manufacture and supply a professional stretcher bar in the UK.  There are 3 different depths, our probar is 18mm deep by 42mm wide and goes from 8" right through to 78" in any increment you require.  we also do an exhibition one which is 38mm deep x 35mm wide and a museum bar which is 50mm deep x 38mm wide.  If you need more info, please contact me offline. Regards

les@mandev.co.uk